COE Bidding – 1st Round of April 2019

Carbon82

forfeit 6mths is but maybe 500-1k? the rise from april to may PQP is 4k

Best to put the cheap coe under your own lta asset page than to worry.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

we are here to exchange ideas, experience, sharing and more importantly have fun,  there is no need to be so personal with your post. 

Sorry if I seem blunt but I speak from experience: both my parents gone by the time I am in my mid-30s. I have been retrenched multiple times, and my private sector wage-paying job paid only above average salaries. I am not a scholar.

If not for savings habit and investments with passive income, I won't be collecting my partial CPF soon at 55.

I think in social media, frankness and honesty about helpful and valuable life experiences is in short supply. Please excuse me if you think newbie car buyers have nothing to learn from my experiences so far.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Why would you renew 6 months earlier? U will forfeit the 6 mths of your current COE which dont quite make sense?

I once renewed 2 years earlier - 26 months ahead, to be precise,  and paid $13K for PQP. 

Come the actual COE expiry date, the PQP was $52K.

You tell me worth or not?

That was when the Altis was selling at $125K brand new.

• Praise 1

Sorry if I seem blunt but I speak from experience: both my parents gone by the time I am in my mid-30s. I have been retrenched multiple times, and my private sector wage-paying job paid only above average salaries. I am not a scholar.

If not for savings habit and investments with passive income, I won't be collecting my partial CPF soon at 55.

I think in social media, frankness and honesty about helpful and valuable life experiences is in short supply. Please excuse me if you think newbie car buyers have nothing to learn from my experiences so far.

at least the tone of your mail appeared that way but glad to know that was not your intent. 

And yes, agree, saving is a good habit but we need to strike a balance in life, while we shall spend like no tomorrow but we should not short change ourselves. there is nothing wrong if one spend within his mean with some saving in mind.  have a good weekend .

I once renewed 2 years earlier - 26 months ahead, to be precise,  and paid $13K for PQP. 

you could make a decision 26 months  ahead  meaning you have done your study of the COE supply trend well  or you must be in the auto industry to have knew what was coming your way. But your decision was certainly correct because of your foresight. 

I once renewed 2 years earlier - 26 months ahead, to be precise, and paid $13K for PQP.

That's very decisive.

About 63k cars coe expiring this year, meaning about 5.2k monthly to be deregistered on average

Figure drop to 35k expiring next year. (45% drop)

Already 10k coe extended during 1st 2 months of 2019

With many many renew in Mar- Apr (i guesstimate at least 20k+ to 30k cars), not much left for the rest of the months to be recycled

My Coe expire in 6months, i already renewed NOW in Apr

If my coe expire within next 12 months and i have the intention to renew, i will also renew now.

5 more days of window for those considering

haha wah lao, you bold and highlight  to paint the story,  very scary.

If you log in to One.Motoring website this 1-2 weeks, you might encounter this message:

Our system is currently overwhelmed, please come back later.

I never got this issue 2-3 months ago when I renewed my COE for my other car and paid the road taxes.

I suspect many owners are busy renewing their COE and paying the road tax now so the servers are overwhelmed.

sounds like  renewal is more fierce than COE bidding.

If you log in to One.Motoring website this 1-2 weeks, you might encounter this message:

Our system is currently overwhelmed, please come back later.

I never got this issue 2-3 months ago when I renewed my COE for my other car and paid the road taxes.

I suspect many owners are busy renewing their COE and paying the road tax now so the servers are overwhelmed.

sounds like  renewal is more fierce than COE bidding.

Ain't those blue chips recommended by broker? My dad's stock turn into paper before, so please define when is enter at the lows. Its all about investing with risk using own foresight. I am satisfied with earning 2% interest using my salary credited account to offset car loan. Debt free is not realy good, i hope u understand the logic behide.

Sorry for being off-topic a little, but I think if you are a fresh young working adult, learning a good foundation before entering into bad debt for a liability like a car, will lead you to a better future and less anxiety and stress.

re: dad's stock turn into paper

You need to ask him name of the company and his reasons for buying so much in the first place. Listening to rumors or following others? That is not the way to invest.

re: ...so please define when is enter at the lows...

Technical analysis studied and practiced well will show the moving averages (the trend) and the candlestick signal+trigger (turning points). You will know when to take action during economic events such as 1997 asian currency crisis, after 9/11, after SARS 2003, after 2009 global financial crisis, after 2010/2011 china growth stumble, even recent economic uncertainty around US-China trade war quarrel. The stumbling block is that it takes patience, persistence and sweat to learn it before you earn it.

I am not saying "don't buy new car" but suggesting that a strong savings habit and investments, and some deferred gratification, will allow one to buy better cars with less debt when one is ready.

• Praise 1

If that's the case. Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a new car at 13k COE period?

• Praise 2

... I am satisfied with earning 2% interest using my salary credited account to offset car loan. Debt free is not realy good, i hope u understand the logic behide.

I don't mean any insult so please hear me out: if you are still living with parents in their home, use the chance to save as much as possible, before your lifestyle costs throw you off course. Resist bad debt for liabilities like a car.

Expenses rise to meet income. If you don't save and pay yourself first, you likely to feel weighted down and anxious daily.

If you think only your wage will see you through life, it means that you have to be prepared to learn to be better at your job than everyone else. Be the best in your industry. Then you get the promotions and the bigger pay raises.

In work, if you are average, you will get below average wage. No company pays top dollar to average employees. Excellent businesses cannot be grown by average workers.

If you are not willing to put in effort to achieve success, then you'll need a lifetime of patience to endure failure.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

If that's the case. Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a new car at 13k COE period?

There was no resale market for resale cars when COE was at $13K.   Worth to buy new if you had no existing car to sell.

It’s either I sold the car at paper value, and top up $40K to get a similar engine capacity car, or top up $13K and, still get to drive for 10 more years.

I chose the latter. Didn’t want to pay all the car related taxes for a new car & prefer a Japanese than Thai assembled car.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Ain't those blue chips recommended by broker? My dad's stock turn into paper before, so please define when is enter at the lows. Its all about investing with risk using own foresight. I am satisfied with earning 2% interest using my salary credited account to offset car loan. Debt free is not really good, i hope u understand the logic behide.

You are the norm, rather than the exception. Nowadays, many people are heavily hedged. As someone told me “Why use your own money when you can use other people’s money (loan)”. I drive a broken down renewed COE car but many younger than me drive a Mercedes C Class, Audi A4, BMW 3 series  on 10 year loan – and it makes whole lot of difference on how people perceive you based on the car you drive.

And because people look highly upon you, your social life improves. So long as you are happy and your expenditure is within your comfort zone and you know what you are doing, JUST DO IT. You live only once.  [;)]

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

You are the norm, rather than the exception. Nowadays, many people are heavily hedged. As someone told me “Why use your own money when you can use other people’s money (loan)”. I drive a broken down renewed COE car but many younger than me drive a Mercedes C Class, Audi A4, BMW 3 series  on 10 year loan – and it makes whole lot of difference on how people perceive you based on the car you drive.

And because people look highly upon you, your social life improves. So long as you are happy and your expenditure is within your comfort zone and you know what you are doing, JUST DO IT. You live only once.  [;)]

Sorry but I have to correct you here. The phrase "using other people's money" applies to purchase of capital goods, good location property, or financial investments. These have the potential to earn more and keep paying you more money.

A car loan is bad debt because a car is a liability.

I think we in the middle-class have to learn to end this hang up and obsession/infatuation with luxury cars. If you need brands, labels and badges to raise your status or prestige level, you need to get out of that circle of friends.

Never get into debt to buy something to try to impress others who don't care and don't matter. The debt will only bring stress and anxiety, even bad behaviour on the road. Debt never leads to happiness.

many younger than me drive a Mercedes C Class, Audi A4, BMW 3 series on 10 year loan

This statement is assumption or fact ? Forum can say anything you want, end of day u happy can already . Diff folks diff strokes.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I once renewed 2 years earlier - 26 months ahead, to be precise, and paid $13K for PQP.

My turn to decide if I should renew 32mths ahead.

My two cents is the reason why coe can spike is because everyone tops up.

If no one tops up I believe the spike will not be so high.

But everyone is selfish so.....

No point complaining everything so expensive.

If everyone bid low then COE will be low

and buying a car will be so much cheaper.

:D

So everyone please bid low so we have a 

lower cost of living. I like a lower cost of living.

• Praise 3

No point complaining everything so expensive.

If everyone bid low then COE will be low

and buying a car will be so much cheaper.

:D

So everyone please bid low so we have a

lower cost of living. I like a lower cost of living.

How to bid low... Tot bidding is mostly done by AD...
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2