Geylang Serai Ramadan Food Bazaar 2019: May 3-June 5

ChaosMyth

(edited)

Geylang Serai Bazaar: Most stalls to sell traditional Malay goods, food required to meet halal criteria.

Measures to make sure bazaar Malay enough

To ensure costs do not go overboard and the traditional feel of the event is maintained this year, some measures are being implemented. This was after taking into account feedback from the ground, where the sentiment has been that the bazaar has deviated too much from the past and it was not nostalgic enough the past few years.

Good news!! Im chinese but i enjoy going to geylang serai bazaar for the festivity during ramadan. i dunno since when the bazaar seems to have lost itself with trying to stay relevant and attract the young crowd --- Reads 'earn money, rake up rentals'. Past few years at least hipster food and drink were everywhere. im too glad that finally the organisers are doing something bout it thou rental capped at 14k by no means is low. Starting this thread for the bazaar food updates in May.

Ratio of Malay vs non-Malay items Main coordinator Wisma Geylang Serai said 60 percent of food stalls must sell traditional Malay food. The remaining 40 percent may offer “contemporary” or “hipster” options
Non-edible items must be majority Malay

Some 80 percent of non-food stalls will sell goods associated with the festive season, while 20 percent will offer other lifestyle items.

This is to ensure most of the stalls in this year’s edition will sell traditional goods related to Hari Raya and the Malay culture.

Food suitable for Muslim visitors

All food sold at the upcoming bazaar must be suitable for Muslim visitors.

The stalls have to be Muslim-owned, certified halal by the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS) or fulfil a halal criteria set by consultants engaged by the bazaar organisers.

Owners are responsible for ensuring that the products are halal.

Halal consultants will have the credentials to say the stalls meet the requirements, and they will work with smaller food stalls to ensure compliance.

The consultants will also conduct frequent checks on the stalls to ensure that they continue to comply with the halal requirements for the duration of the bazaar.

post-186600-0-69889600-1554170913_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChaosMyth
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

So fast ramadan food bazaar is here again. No matter what they sell, still super crowded at the bazaar de.

Supersonic

Every year for so many years........i give the Geylang bazaar a miss....ð¤£ð¤£ð¤£. JB better......hahaha!

Went only once and it was super crowded until also no mood to walk around.

These are almost standard pasar madam food stuffs.

Ya....almost standard. The old Geylang bazaar atmosphere has been lost and many hdb towns have their own bazaar......somemore Geylang very crowded and hot! Parking is also a nightmare.....have been buying stuffs from bazaars in jb....same stuff and most prob same manufacturers but at lower cost. A few yrs ago my sibings introduced to me a shop in kulai who gets their stuff from Simpang Renggam......good stuffs!
  • Praise 1

Same here. Went once last year and that is my first and last time.

Lucky i live in wdlands......jb nearer and can top up petronas on the way back...

Hypersonic

Lucky i live in wdlands......jb nearer and can top up petronas on the way back...ððð. Super-crowded...yes....but if you go JB Angsana......tell you, its worse with Singaporean and Johorean and the price have been jacked up because of us Singaporean...ðððð

I guess it's atmosphere bah. Same as Chinatown during cny. Though many snacks etc people go jb to buy.

I guess it's atmosphere bah. Same as Chinatown during cny. Though many snacks etc people go jb to buy.

Ya....the atmosphere brings the crowd in....last time i go Pandan.....the parking due to the crowd was very far away......sianz! But the atmosphere.......like kampung. For me Geylang had lost its shine decades ago, even the Malay Village was like a ghost-town but then the area just outside the compound was crowded.....

Supersonic

I also dont go chinatown during cny liao.

(edited)

Same thing same makan every year.

Buay sian meh??

Ok I admit I am a sofa kantang.

Even my malay friends said the price there is over priced.

Edited by Hamburger
  • Praise 1

Same thing same makan every year.

Buay sian meh??

Ok I admit I am a sofa kantang.

Even my malay friends said the price there is over priced.

of course all chop carrot ma  but all very happy ... festive season is like that one just like CNY hahaha 

• Praise 4

Supersonic

Went to one years ago. Very festive atmosphere and the mutton sweet meat (bak kwa) was a newly introduced item then. Yes, at least 10 years ago

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Went to one years ago. Very festive atmosphere and the mutton sweet meat (bak kwa) was a newly introduced item then. Yes, at least 10 years ago

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

I also dont go chinatown during cny liao.

I've actually never been to Chinatown during cny my entire life. Haha just watch on TV.