2020 8th Generation Hyundai Sonata (DN8)

Carbon82

Strong hints of Audi (Q7) and maybe even the current Civic Sedan. And the extended LED DRL, which combined with the long chrome stripe across the entire bonnet is a board move... Let see Hyundai will become the trend setter this time... [gossip]

Hyundai-Sonata-2020-1600-01.jpg

Hyundai-Sonata-2020-1600-05.jpg

Hyundai-Sonata-2020-1600-03.jpg

Hyundai-Sonata-2020-1600-04.jpg

Hyundai-Sonata-2020-1600-02.jpg

mp210-39482-230107.jpg

mp210-39482-230108.jpg

Hyundai Motor revealed first images of its next-generation Sonata, showcasing a sporty four-door-coupe look.

The eighth-generation Hyundai Sonata embodies Hyundai's Sensuous Sportiness design concept. It is a fully transformed vehicle following the release of the seventh-generation Sonata in March 2017.

"Sonata celebrates innovative coupe-like silhouette," said Sang Yup Lee, senior vice president and head of the Hyundai Design Center. "A short overhang, sloping roofline and low deck lid create a balanced feel, and Hyundai's signature chrome accent now goes all the way into the hood, making it look even longer. It also has LED lighting built in. These cues bring the Sensuous Sportiness design to life."

The all-new Sonata takes its inspiration from the award-winning Le Fil Rouge concept, which debuted at the 2018 Geneva International Motor Show. Like the concept car, the production Sonata attracts immediate attention with its Sensuous Sportiness design.

Sensuous Sportiness is defined by the harmony between four fundamental elements in vehicle design: proportion, architecture, styling and technology. Sonata has a distinct tension on the side using a harmonious blend of layered crisp body lines and pure volumes. Concave and convex forms are also carefully orchestrated to provide a sexy, coupe-like character.

The new Hyundai Sonata has a much sportier look than its predecessor, with a 30 mm lower height and a width extended by 25 mm. Its wheelbase is enlarged by 35 mm, and its whole length by 45 mm.

The new Sonata's frontal section is defined by two elements: a bold, voluminous shape evoking a smooth sphere and a cleanly demarcated hood.

Furthermore, the Digital Pulse Cascading Grille, which resembles the grille of a sports car with its rhythmic visuals, is sleekly connected to the hood, strengthening the overall perception of the front.

In particular, the Daytime Running Lights, embedded with Hidden Lighting Lamps-the first for a Hyundai vehicle-are a chief design innovation that incorporates state-of-the-art lighting technology, forming the Sonata's light architecture. The Hidden Lighting Lamps appear to be of a chromic material when switched off and become dramatically lit when turned on.

The light architecture was initially revealed through Hyundai's HDC-2 concept car at the Busan Motor Show in June last year. It was created by fleshing out the form of the lamp and making it into a powerful design element. Along with the Sensuous Sportiness concept, the light architecture defines the design identity of future Hyundai cars.

The side sections of the Sonata are accentuated by the light architecture, which connects two chromic lines seamlessly linking the windows and daytime running lights. Through these two characteristic lines, the Sonata effuses an athletic and elegant charm.

The all-new Hyundai Sonata has a wide, layered long hood, a very low stance and a sleek roofline. The feeling of width is also achieved with ultra-wide taillights.

The light architecture is also applied to the interior space with the ambient mood lamp illuminating dashboard and doors.

In the interior, the instrument panel is rich and modern, and the recognizable winged shape is inspired by a Stealth aircraft. This shape almost levitates or floats when looked at, and this philosophy carries into the long armrests. Satin chrome accents enhance this effect. Designers compressed the height of the dashboard and HVAC vents as much as possible to aid the light-weight feeling, while modern, light fabric colors and leathers provide a fresh and freeing ambience for the driver. The clean and sleek design is carried through the center-gauge cluster display. Designers aimed to alleviate the distracting large screens featured in many luxury cars today and instead threaded the two displays together on the 2020 Sonata, using a unique S curve. These displays are seamless, with no parting lines, and have capacitive touch buttons. Additional features include a satin chrome accent on the steering wheel, which looks like an aircraft yoke, and shift-by-wire transmission controls to free up storage space.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 12

Supercharged

Seldom see Sonata on the roads. But this new model looks good, but a bit here copy a bit there copy a bit.

• Praise 4

What good would all these big leaps in design and build quality when this new Sonata came to SG with that antique and superbly underpowered Theta II 2L NA engine again?

All great engines and GB combos are for any other countries where the car is sold... just not in SG. 

• Praise 5

I re-post here...

Looks good but the front view looks like it's a Aston Martin (no bad thing mine you), while the rear looks like a Volvo... the rims look like they were pinched from the current Nissan X-Trail. The front 3/4 looks like a sports executive sedan, has the sloping curved look of a Jaguar XE... the squat rear a bit out of place, and that boot opening is ridiculously small...

Overall looks good on the outside... the unique DRL that cut into the bonnet lines are quite special...

Interior looks up to par... would love to have that brown interior... the gear shifter looks like a premium type from a premium badge looking like a aircraft thrust shifter...

Another level up for Hyundai... probably too expensive for me to upgrade from the current 2015 Sonata lar...

Seldom see Sonata on the roads. But this new model looks good, but a bit here copy a bit there copy a bit.

Agree lor... but overall still attracts my attention... especially the DRL... that light fade away look on the bonnet DRL strip is truly unique and I think trend setting...
  • Shocked 1

I re-post here...

Looks good but the front view looks like it's a Aston Martin (no bad thing mine you), while the rear looks like a Volvo... the rims look like they were pinched from the current Nissan X-Trail. The front 3/4 looks like a sports executive sedan, has the sloping curved look of a Jaguar XE... the squat rear a bit out of place, and that boot opening is ridiculously small...

Overall looks good on the outside... the unique DRL that cut into the bonnet lines are quite special...

Interior looks up to par... would love to have that brown interior... the gear shifter looks like a premium type from a premium badge looking like a aircraft thrust shifter...

Another level up for Hyundai... probably too expensive for me to upgrade from the current 2015 Sonata lar...

Agree lor... but overall still attracts my attention... especially the DRL... that light fade away look on the bonnet DRL strip is truly unique and I think trend setting...

Is the boot opening really that small?

From the opening width seems like its as big if not bigger than the current LF Sonata. It just looks small becos of the tampered lines to the tailights. 

But as usual, being a sedan form factor, cargo space and flexibility will be poor. This is why sedans are dead and SUVs are the rage these days

Is the boot opening really that small?

From the opening width seems like its as big if not bigger than the current LF Sonata. It just looks small becos of the tampered lines to the tailights. 

But as usual, being a sedan form factor, cargo space and flexibility will be poor. This is why sedans are dead and SUVs are the rage these days

Not the width, but the height... makes it very difficult to put stuff in... The more coupe-like the rear of the glass housing, the worse it is in putting in and taking out stuff... you have to really reach in... same same for the Mazda 3... the aperture is similar in shape and style... a liftback would be a refreshing change... but it'll add a few thousands to the price I suppose...

What good would all these big leaps in design and build quality when this new Sonata came to SG with that antique and superbly underpowered Theta II 2L NA engine again?

All great engines and GB combos are for any other countries where the car is sold... just not in SG.

That's the problem for Hyundai, still in the NA era. If they wanna compete with the Germans, they gotta work on their turbos.

Now if it came here with a 2L turbo engine.....

That's the problem for Hyundai, still in the NA era. If they wanna compete with the Germans, they gotta work on their turbos.

In Korea,they have both 1.6 & 2.0 Turbocharged Engines,but S'pore Agent won't bring bring them in,because of costs....2.0 Turbo will cost $150,000.

• Praise 1

You're looking at Hyundai from a uniquely Singapore perspective... ha ha ha... the issue lies mainly with Komoco Motors, the authorized distributor here... but of course Hyundai bear some responsibility as well cos they continue to supply these older naturally aspirated engines... but also bear in mind Hyundai keeps these engines as they have always been a value brand...

Supercharged

If sonata base model priced like mazda 6 base model, thia sonata gonna be the best mid sized(ang mor term). Large size(singapore term) selling car liao

In Korea,they have both 1.6 & 2.0 Turbocharged Engines,but S'pore Agent won't bring bring them in,because of costs....2.0 Turbo will cost $150,000.

We are assuming its 150k.

With 250hp from the 2T...century sprints comes in at 6.5s only for the current LF sonata.

I would gladly pay 150k for this instead of near 150k for a mazda 6 2.5 or any low end conti models

Seems steep, 2L NA was only 120k+. Which makes it obvious why it's hard to compete, Mazda 6 is going for 100+ only. Edited by flashbang

We are assuming its 150k.

With 250hp from the 2T...century sprints comes in at 6.5s only for the current LF sonata.

I would gladly pay 150k for this instead of near 150k for a mazda 6 2.5 or any low end conti models

Unfortunately there aren't enough buyers like you to sustain sales of this model in Singapore... with the current model, there are hardly any on the road... my model was slightly cheaper and there are definitely more on the road... so price still rules for Hyundai cars...

Seems steep, 2L NA was only 120k+. Which makes it obvious why it's hard to compete, Mazda 6 is going for 100+ only.

Stripped down version for the Mazda 6? Usually the outgoing model at the tail end of that model year will sell for very low if the sales numbers have been good... maybe that's how the current Mazda 6 can be priced so low... plus being stripped down... the lower trim Sonata I think still has more features, before it was taken off the market... Edited by teomingern

The LF Sonata has a VES surcharge of 10k while the Mazda 6 Is neutral. That's why the base 6 is cheaper.

Our market has proven Mingern's point time and again. If it is a Hyundai or A Korean, it must be cheap, regardless of spec or quality. By the time it gain "Samsung" status, it will no longer be so value for money anymore.

See how the Kia stinger or i30N pace of acceptance will give an indication of the market sales here.

Edited by Alfc
↡ Advertisement