• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
266 replies to this topic | 3,839 praises

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:20 AM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Well. This is more of a sharing experience to help understand what's chemo about.
Unfortunately, I am the patient in question.

Basically I was diagnosed with early stage cancer in mid march. Operated and confirmed diagnosis. Came to National Cancer center for further treatment.
The biggest shock is probably for my parents rather than me, given my background.
My cancer is early stage and has good long term prognosis. But has a significant chance of relapse if no preventive chemotherapy is done

Hence, after discussion with the oncologist here, will be undergoing 2 x 3 weeks cycles of chemo. My kids still young, so not taking preventive chemo is not really an option.
I'm pretty prepared for everything, so all the pros and cons of chemo were q straight forward for me.
Immune system will be weakened. So avoid crowded places. Wear mask. Eat only cooked food. Watch for fever etc.

Basically once u seen the oncologist and if chemo is needed. U will need to prebook the chemo appt at level 3. Ambulatory treatment unit.
Everytime u come must register and measure weight. Then u wait for your chair or bed to receive treatment.

U come. U wait at your bed/chair. Can be accompanied by one family member. They come set plug and give u medicines. Then the infusion starts. Which lasts about few hours. I usually nap a bit or read on my phone. Was considering Netflix but no real inclination to watch when I was actually here.

First week is pretty intense. 5 days in a row. Forearm veins also sian from being poked.
There are different agents given on different days and everyone will experience different side effects.
Main side effects are nausea, fatigue and feeling sick. It was pretty rough for mid last week. Even walking around the home is tiring.
Supposedly with the latest drugs, vomiting is uncommon though nausea here and there is common.
Sleep wake cycle is bit screwed up also.
I'm easily 20-30 years younger than most pts here, can imagine these older folks need to be even more stoic.

Currently I'm on week 2 of the first cycle. Typing this while I'm waiting for the infusion to finish.

If u do have have family or friends having chemo, its pretty depressing to undergo.
Family and friends are the most important in distracting you and helping out, though my kids are more annoying now since I'm not in the best of moods.
The social connection is undoubtedly the most important though.

Attached Thumbnails

• rps20190408_093749.jpg

RadX, Mustank, Stratovarius, SuPerBoRed, BabyBlade, Bacteria83, PSP415, 66 other members and 2 Anonymous members praised this

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

Hope you are taking it wel bro

Stay the fight buddy. You are in my prayers
Angcheek

Fyi
Region?
Mustank, Volvobrick, Adrianli, Hamburger, Count-Bracula, Tohto, Micb and 4 other members praised this
RESPECT is only for the DEAD!
CirclesLife Code: RADX89

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:28 AM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Wish you a quick recovery! Meanwhile hope MCF bros keep you entertained while at NCC.

Edited by Volvobrick, 08 April 2019 - 10:28 AM.

Mustank, Hamburger, Fuelsaver, ALTK, Mercury1, TangoCharlie and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:28 AM

Vid
  • Premium member
    Vid
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Get well soon bro!

Mustank, Hamburger, Count-Bracula, Fuelsaver, ALTK, Mercury1, TangoCharlie and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:29 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

please take care.

are you given strong dosage and will be having lose hair?

my mum went through twice, first time was quite difficult and very sick and uncomfortable after the chemo session as she was over 70 yrs old, she needs 3-4 days of the steroid boost jab 10 days after the session and cycle repeat every 3 weeks for 6 sessions.

the relapse was a year ago and this time they let her try a newer drug was comparative mild for old folk and it was not much discomfort and no lose of hair.

Yes immune system is basically down to zero hence has to be very careful.

Mustank, Hamburger, Count-Bracula, Tohto, zipping, Carbon82, ALTK and 2 other members praised this
骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:29 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

At a loss for words. Get well soon.

Mustank, Hamburger, Count-Bracula, Fuelsaver, ALTK, Mercury1, TangoCharlie and 1 Anonymous member praised this
Too much to think about...

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:30 AM

Enye
  • Enye
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

take care and get well soon

Mustank, Count-Bracula, Fuelsaver, ALTK, Mercury1, TangoCharlie and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:30 AM

Wyfitms
  • Premium member
    Wyfitms
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Well. This is more of a sharing experience to help understand what's chemo about.
Unfortunately, I am the patient in question.

Basically I was diagnosed with early stage cancer in mid march. Operated and confirmed diagnosis. Came to National Cancer center for further treatment.
The biggest shock is probably for my parents rather than me, given my background.
My cancer is early stage and has good long term prognosis. But has a significant chance of relapse if no preventive chemotherapy is done

Hence, after discussion with the oncologist here, will be undergoing 2 x 3 weeks cycles of chemo. My kids still young, so not taking preventive chemo is not really an option.
I'm pretty prepared for everything, so all the pros and cons of chemo were q straight forward for me.
Immune system will be weakened. So avoid crowded places. Wear mask. Eat only cooked food. Watch for fever etc.

Basically once u seen the oncologist and if chemo is needed. U will need to prebook the chemo appt at level 3. Ambulatory treatment unit.
Everytime u come must register and measure weight. Then u wait for your chair or bed to receive treatment.

U come. U wait at your bed/chair. Can be accompanied by one family member. They come set plug and give u medicines. Then the infusion starts. Which lasts about few hours. I usually nap a bit or read on my phone. Was considering Netflix but no real inclination to watch when I was actually here.

First week is pretty intense. 5 days in a row. Forearm veins also sian from being poked.
There are different agents given on different days and everyone will experience different side effects.
Main side effects are nausea, fatigue and feeling sick. It was pretty rough for mid last week. Even walking around the home is tiring.
Supposedly with the latest drugs, vomiting is uncommon though nausea here and there is common.
Sleep wake cycle is bit screwed up also.
I'm easily 20-30 years younger than most pts here, can imagine these older folks need to be even more stoic.

Currently I'm on week 2 of the first cycle. Typing this while I'm waiting for the infusion to finish.

If u do have have family or friends having chemo, its pretty depressing to undergo.
Family and friends are the most important in distracting you and helping out, though my kids are more annoying now since I'm not in the best of moods.
The social connection is undoubtedly the most important though.

Stay strong bro I’m sure you will recover from this
Prayers with you and your family

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Hope you are taking it wel bro

Stay the fight buddy. You are in my prayers
Angcheek

Fyi
Region?

Haha your years of dialysis, even more siong.
Just have to tolerate lor.

Lucky only two cycles then just keep on surveillance.

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:32 AM

Mercury1
  • Mercury1
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Stay Strong man, MCF team is here for ya

Heng you caught it early, Jia You!

Mustank, Volvobrick, Hamburger, Count-Bracula, Fuelsaver, Carbon82, ALTK, 1 other member and 1 Anonymous member praised this
My F30 review

Mitsubishi Lancer Coupe (Gone) -> Mazda Astina (Gone) -> E46 3.18 M Sports (Gone) -> Renault Clio (Gone) -> Mini Cooper S -> BMW 3.28i M Sport

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:32 AM

Dafansu
  • Premium member
    Dafansu
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Get well soon, speedy recovery, thanks for the open sharing. 

Mustank, Hamburger, Count-Bracula, Fuelsaver, ALTK, Mercury1 and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Stay strong and positive. You will get well soon de.

But i am wondering is there a difference between having chemo session at govt hospital vs private hospital? 

Mustank, Hamburger, Count-Bracula, Fuelsaver, ALTK, Mercury1 and 1 Anonymous member praised this
Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Life is very fragile. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next.

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Stay strong bro Lala

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

please take care.

are you given strong dosage and will be having lose hair?

my mum went through twice, first time was quite difficult and very sick and uncomfortable after the chemo session as she was over 70 yrs old, she needs 3-4 days of the steroid boost jab 10 days after the session and cycle repeat every 3 weeks for 6 sessions.

the relapse was a year ago and this time they let her try a newer drug was comparative mild for old folk and it was not much discomfort and no lose of hair.

Yes immune system is basically down to zero hence has to be very careful.

I'm supposed to lose hair. But haven't started yet.

Yeah I'm so much younger so definitely stronger than the older folks.
I'm on steroids to reduce the nausea. I think it does help.

Actually quite a lot of older folks go through chemo, even my close friends parents had it.
Mustank praised this

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

Haha your years of dialysis, even more siong.
Just have to tolerate lor.

Lucky only two cycles then just keep on surveillance.

Gd bro

Keep the positivity
RESPECT is only for the DEAD!
CirclesLife Code: RADX89

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

Kklim
  • Premium member
    Kklim
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Try this for nausea and headache caused by chemo: https://blog.dana-fa...ing-and-nausea/

What type of cancer do you have? Take care.

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Take care bro!
Count-Bracula, Fuelsaver, Pohhenry, ALTK, Mercury1, TangoCharlie and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I'm supposed to lose hair. But haven't started yet.

Yeah I'm so much younger so definitely stronger than the older folks.
I'm on steroids to reduce the nausea. I think it does help.

Actually quite a lot of older folks go through chemo, even my close friends parents had it.

Just outta curiosity, how was the cancer detected?

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:41 AM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Stay strong and positive. You will get well soon de.

But i am wondering is there a difference between having chemo session at govt hospital vs private hospital?

U can do chemo at pte center.. I'm actually covered by my hospitalisation insurance. But subsequent monitoring post chemo, Scans etc won't be covered anymore.

Actually I did my op at mt E. But one of my friends is oncologist here at ncc. So she recommended me in Here.

I think the actual chemotherapy care is pretty the same.
Probably it's just the waiting times for like appointments, counter service etc that's longer. I don't think physical care differs.
Their setup is very efficient here. Nursing standard no real appreciable difference to me.
Volvobrick praised this

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:42 AM

Pohhenry
  • Premium member
    Pohhenry
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

身體健康,早日康復💪💪💪✊✊✊
Mustank, Hamburger, Count-Bracula, Uncle2, Angcheek, Carbon82, Fuelsaver, 3 other members and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: chemo, chemotherapy, ncc, cancer and 1 more...

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users