Chemotherapy experience at NCC

Lala81

Turbocharged

Dear Lala, I wish you well and full recovery.  Take care and don't worry.  You will be in my prayer.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

There will be alot of MCFers touching their scrotom in shower today.... This i can guaranteed.... :D Lol

But on a more serious note, wish you speedy recovery and best of health from here onwards!

Do not hesitate to drop me a msg if you need any help! Anything for a fellow colleague.

I guess the consolation is, of ALL the things that come in pairs in our body, losing one of these probably has the least impact compared to the others

On that note

This is testicular awareness month and there are proper pics and procedures that teach one how to check

Twincharged

hi lala,

yes it takes courage for you to share like this. Men always want to feel invincible.

we'll do our part here to keep you company online and distract you from the discomforts.

be strong for yourself and the kids,  will keep you in our prayers.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

On that note

This is testicular awareness month and there are proper pics and procedures that teach one how to check

Don't u go post ur pixs hor....
  • Praise 1

(edited)

I guess the consolation is, of ALL the things that come in pairs in our body, losing one of these probably has the least impact compared to the others ð¤.

OK lah. Silver lining.

I have two kids, family planning is completed. Luckily I started early. Some of my friends only have one or none, that would require sperm banking etc.

One testicle down, already subfertile. Going for chemo, 20% chance estimated infertility in total.

But in all honesty, with such a diagnosis (though lowish relapse rate), definitely 100% dont want any more kids even if I wanted. At least now, I can say I can provide for basic lifestyle for my existing kids until they go uni even if worst case scenario. Lao peh must plan for all scenarios.

Edited by Lala81

There will be alot of MCFers touching their scrotom in shower today.... This i can guaranteed.... :D Lol

But on a more serious note, wish you speedy recovery and best of health from here onwards!

Do not hesitate to drop me a msg if you need any help! Anything for a fellow colleague.

I let u touch mine
  • Praise 1

Haha guaranteed to have more self examinations tonight...

(edited)

On that note

I sense alot of picture coming in .... the force is strong ... on the dark side Edited by Angcheek
  • Praise 1

hi lala,

yes it takes courage for you to share like this. Men always want to feel invincible.

we'll do our part here to keep you company online and distract you from the discomforts.

be strong for yourself and the kids, will keep you in our prayers.

Well. Partly out of boredom. The sessions are fairly long and since I've no inclination to watch videos during then.

My sessions are mostly 8am. To minimise cte erp, my dad fetches me down at 7+am and fetches me at the end.

Usually first few to arrive, for nurses to prep the start. By the time infusions get going, it's about 9+ to 10am. Some require medication intake and pre hydration before they start the actual medicine.

Today session was milder, hence got more energy to type lol.

Last week, when there are 3 agents going in, literally filling u up with 2 litres of fluids in 2 hours. Can pee like mad lol.

(edited)

I guess many will start to pay more attention to their balls. [laugh]

By the way, how about your work? Does your company allow you to take long leave?

Haha guaranteed to have more self examinations tonight...

Edited by Roh96

Turbocharged

Well. This is more of a sharing experience to help understand what's chemo about.

Unfortunately, I am the patient in question.

Basically I was diagnosed with early stage cancer in mid march. Operated and confirmed diagnosis. Came to National Cancer center for further treatment.

The biggest shock is probably for my parents rather than me, given my background.

My cancer is early stage and has good long term prognosis. But has a significant chance of relapse if no preventive chemotherapy is done

Hence, after discussion with the oncologist here, will be undergoing 2 x 3 weeks cycles of chemo. My kids still young, so not taking preventive chemo is not really an option.

I'm pretty prepared for everything, so all the pros and cons of chemo were q straight forward for me.

Immune system will be weakened. So avoid crowded places. Wear mask. Eat only cooked food. Watch for fever etc.

Basically once u seen the oncologist and if chemo is needed. U will need to prebook the chemo appt at level 3. Ambulatory treatment unit.

Everytime u come must register and measure weight. Then u wait for your chair or bed to receive treatment.

U come. U wait at your bed/chair. Can be accompanied by one family member. They come set plug and give u medicines. Then the infusion starts. Which lasts about few hours. I usually nap a bit or read on my phone. Was considering Netflix but no real inclination to watch when I was actually here.

First week is pretty intense. 5 days in a row. Forearm veins also sian from being poked.

There are different agents given on different days and everyone will experience different side effects.

Main side effects are nausea, fatigue and feeling sick. It was pretty rough for mid last week. Even walking around the home is tiring.

Supposedly with the latest drugs, vomiting is uncommon though nausea here and there is common.

Sleep wake cycle is bit screwed up also.

I'm easily 20-30 years younger than most pts here, can imagine these older folks need to be even more stoic.

Currently I'm on week 2 of the first cycle. Typing this while I'm waiting for the infusion to finish.

If u do have have family or friends having chemo, its pretty depressing to undergo.

Family and friends are the most important in distracting you and helping out, though my kids are more annoying now since I'm not in the best of moods.

The social connection is undoubtedly the most important though.

speedy recovery.

• Praise 2

I guess many will start more attention to their balls. [laugh]

By the way, how about your work? Does your company allow you to take long leave?

Can't work due to immunocompromised state. Probably aiming to be back at work in June.

Colleagues have to cover up lor.

↡ Advertisement