Chemotherapy experience at NCC

Lala81

Get well soon bro... Did I tell you I initially thought you are a girl? 

I had some experience with the plums too. I developed mild discomfort for 2 weeks which steadily grow into an annoying and painful one. It would be a chore to even walk 500m and it would be so painful that I have to slouch. Upon self-examination, I found the right ball is swollen and reddish.

The pain and discomfort did not go away. So I went to the doc, he dropped my pants (usually its the fairer sex that drops em) and started poking my right ball with his finger. Damn!! It was like kena electrocuted with every touch. I did some research of my own before the visit. The doc isn't sure and insist I do all the test as he is afraid that it might be serious but he claim it is rare like what you had said. He gave me some antibiotics and anti-inflammation medications.

A week later I went back for the review. The test were negative, to my relieve and the swelling has subsided but I am now more sensitive to issues around that region. I still feel the tingling sensation when writing this.  

Hope I gave you some best medicine bro. Rest well and keep fighting.

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

Ha. Walking my dog is already bonus already. Definitely no energy to exert.

Haha my dog also bit confused why I don't force it to run.

That's why I ran for several days before starting chemo.

But these two weeks are taper before starting next cycle. Will walk more if I feel up to it.

Need to keep some busyness in life. Esp from someone who hasn't taken such a long break from Working since. Cooking dinner last night was a good distraction for me. Otherwise, feel like invalid.

Stay positive and fight it well.

We here at MCF are waiting for more of your posts once your treatment cycle is over.

• Praise 2

Thanks for sharing. Be positive and take this opportunity to binge watch all the drama/movies through Netflix and other china sites, or try to do something that you have put off for the longest time like a new foreign language or musical instrument through online resources that are plentiful since you are basically imprisoned in your house with nothing to do. Time will go faster. And be less strict with your kids, your mental wellbeing and health will improve alot. Take care and speedy recovery.

Well. This is more of a sharing experience to help understand what's chemo about.

Unfortunately, I am the patient in question.

Basically I was diagnosed with early stage cancer in mid march. Operated and confirmed diagnosis. Came to National Cancer center for further treatment.

The biggest shock is probably for my parents rather than me, given my background.

My cancer is early stage and has good long term prognosis. But has a significant chance of relapse if no preventive chemotherapy is done

Hence, after discussion with the oncologist here, will be undergoing 2 x 3 weeks cycles of chemo. My kids still young, so not taking preventive chemo is not really an option.

I'm pretty prepared for everything, so all the pros and cons of chemo were q straight forward for me.

Immune system will be weakened. So avoid crowded places. Wear mask. Eat only cooked food. Watch for fever etc.

Basically once u seen the oncologist and if chemo is needed. U will need to prebook the chemo appt at level 3. Ambulatory treatment unit.

Everytime u come must register and measure weight. Then u wait for your chair or bed to receive treatment.

U come. U wait at your bed/chair. Can be accompanied by one family member. They come set plug and give u medicines. Then the infusion starts. Which lasts about few hours. I usually nap a bit or read on my phone. Was considering Netflix but no real inclination to watch when I was actually here.

First week is pretty intense. 5 days in a row. Forearm veins also sian from being poked.

There are different agents given on different days and everyone will experience different side effects.

Main side effects are nausea, fatigue and feeling sick. It was pretty rough for mid last week. Even walking around the home is tiring.

Supposedly with the latest drugs, vomiting is uncommon though nausea here and there is common.

Sleep wake cycle is bit screwed up also.

I'm easily 20-30 years younger than most pts here, can imagine these older folks need to be even more stoic.

Currently I'm on week 2 of the first cycle. Typing this while I'm waiting for the infusion to finish.

If u do have have family or friends having chemo, its pretty depressing to undergo.

Family and friends are the most important in distracting you and helping out, though my kids are more annoying now since I'm not in the best of moods.

The social connection is undoubtedly the most important though.

Bro, we pray together for you.  Fellow MCFers will come together in times of need.

I'm still shocked about this, especially when age is still young.  But this always remind me of how unpredictable life can be. 

Oh, my FIL went through chemo at NCC some time back and i will pick him up sometimes. He was impressed by NCC and sing praises of the nurses and doc. (he was a fussy man). But God called him back though.  I saw him through in every stage. 

I have learned by staying positive in mind and spirit will help in managing cancer and other illness.  Don't let any kind of anger, sadness or negative energy gets to you. Always think positive with good family support. Let yr kids understand and hopefully they put their bestest behaviour for you.  Tell your wife of the good things that she needs to know from you. 

• Praise 5

Well. This is more of a sharing experience to help understand what's chemo about.

Unfortunately, I am the patient in question.

Basically I was diagnosed with early stage cancer in mid march. Operated and confirmed diagnosis. Came to National Cancer center for further treatment.

The biggest shock is probably for my parents rather than me, given my background.

My cancer is early stage and has good long term prognosis. But has a significant chance of relapse if no preventive chemotherapy is done

Hence, after discussion with the oncologist here, will be undergoing 2 x 3 weeks cycles of chemo. My kids still young, so not taking preventive chemo is not really an option.

I'm pretty prepared for everything, so all the pros and cons of chemo were q straight forward for me.

Immune system will be weakened. So avoid crowded places. Wear mask. Eat only cooked food. Watch for fever etc.

Basically once u seen the oncologist and if chemo is needed. U will need to prebook the chemo appt at level 3. Ambulatory treatment unit.

Everytime u come must register and measure weight. Then u wait for your chair or bed to receive treatment.

U come. U wait at your bed/chair. Can be accompanied by one family member. They come set plug and give u medicines. Then the infusion starts. Which lasts about few hours. I usually nap a bit or read on my phone. Was considering Netflix but no real inclination to watch when I was actually here.

First week is pretty intense. 5 days in a row. Forearm veins also sian from being poked.

There are different agents given on different days and everyone will experience different side effects.

Main side effects are nausea, fatigue and feeling sick. It was pretty rough for mid last week. Even walking around the home is tiring.

Supposedly with the latest drugs, vomiting is uncommon though nausea here and there is common.

Sleep wake cycle is bit screwed up also.

I'm easily 20-30 years younger than most pts here, can imagine these older folks need to be even more stoic.

Currently I'm on week 2 of the first cycle. Typing this while I'm waiting for the infusion to finish.

If u do have have family or friends having chemo, its pretty depressing to undergo.

Family and friends are the most important in distracting you and helping out, though my kids are more annoying now since I'm not in the best of moods.

The social connection is undoubtedly the most important though.

Take care and praying a speedy recovery for you.

• Praise 1

Hi bro,though I do not know you on a personal basis but through this MCF,I sincerely wish you a speedy and full recovery. Pretty sure u have a strong support both from your family and loved ones and of course MCF too. Take care!!

• Praise 4

Get well soon!

both my parents died from cancer...

hearing that anyone has it touches a raw nerve for me. 

• Praise 7

Have a good rest, bro. Hope no major side effects or not much discomfort. And body is responding well to treatment too.

If u are a Christian, just claim total healing upon the finished work of Christ on the cross. Its been paid for in full liao

• Praise 3

@lala81 I'm lost for words... You are the 2nd cancer case I learnt in the past few days.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, it just reminded us how fragile we can be, and hopefully it is not to late for some of us to make contingency planning, me inclusive.

I strongly believe family love and having a positive mind is the best cure. Wish you a smooth and speedy recovery. My thought and prayer are with you and your family.

• Praise 15