SDP launches housing programme: Non-open market flats

Ysc3

So finally still no solution insight until unless people get to know the land cost which must be a complicated formula as govt acquires and pay off old industrial site tenants relocation fees (example in point are those in Eunos - old car workshops which were on rental basis and creating new ones in Kaki Bukit for them ) unlike enbloc which is immediate development back to back , govt keeps the land like a "padang" for years and then after 4-5 years finally sees what is this land finally required for be it a school/hospital or what not we cant imagine,  Building costs are more or less standard and is transparent .... my $0.02          

Edited by BanCoe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I think it’s quite hard for us to estimate esp building n related costs. ...

This debate will go on for years to come unfortunately if govt doesn’t give the breakdown n of course even with figures there could be other disputes but at least something for the public to scrutinise.

I would like to offer a perspective after hearing from a property developer:

The public housing in Singapore is unique because of the completed lifestyle and daily living infrastructure that is ready to be used by all residents once they move in.

For example: running utilities and sewerage; public space lighting, daily rubbish collection, landscaping, parks, roads, car parks, public transport services, emergency and police services, schools, clinics and hospitals, some daily necessity shops, access to expressways...

For those who demand only land cost plus building labour and materials cost, is missing out the other lifestyle intangibles that make public housing so different in singapore. And imagine the chaos if residents have to reach a certain critical number before work is started on any ancillary infrastructure. Or if some infrastructure services are loyal to rival political party in partisan politics.

This is from a property developer who has profitable commercial and residential projects in Europe mainly. But I do see his point about how some citizens can take for granted and feel entitled.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

i think you have missed the point....we're not talking about day to day maintainence of the Estate for which they do already charge Conservancy Fees (yes those whom are on high subsidies/ social welfare govt gives some months payment free of cost whcih I am sure Govt pays directly to the Town Council), Even sewerage fee is paid by each apartment owner depending on the number of toilets in the house

BTW car parks should be revenue earning unlike condo's which give free parking  and am sure also with the hawker centres are not loss making for sure and the old open car parks have now become multi storey ones and car park fees have been hiked already some years back and demand has also increased 

So question is the actual cost of the land as the land has changed hands internally and appreciated internally so no one knows the actual costing and they will go I'm sure with the "current" price of properties in the similar area  when embarking on any public housing project & its very easy for them to come up with the formula, anyway IRAS has all the values of current properties at their finger tips within any vicinity and they are damn good at it, try appealing for a lower property tax and see how difficult it is  

I would like to offer a perspective after hearing from a property developer:

The public housing in Singapore is unique because of the completed lifestyle and daily living infrastructure that is ready to be used by all residents once they move in.

For example: running utilities and sewerage; public space lighting, daily rubbish collection, landscaping, parks, roads, car parks, public transport services, emergency and police services, schools, clinics and hospitals, some daily necessity shops, access to expressways...

For those who demand only land cost plus building labour and materials cost, is missing out the other lifestyle intangibles that make public housing so different in singapore. And imagine the chaos if residents have to reach a certain critical number before work is started on any ancillary infrastructure. Or if some infrastructure services are loyal to rival political party in partisan politics.

This is from a property developer who has profitable commercial and residential projects in Europe mainly. But I do see his point about how some citizens can take for granted and feel entitled.

• Praise 2

i think you have missed the point...

So question is the actual cost of the land as the land has changed hands internally and appreciated internally so no one knows the actual costing and they will go I'm sure with the "current" price of properties in the similar area  when embarking on any public housing project & its very easy for them to come up with the formula, anyway IRAS has all the values of current properties at their finger tips within any vicinity and they are damn good at it, try appealing for a lower property tax and see how difficult it is  

No offence intended, but I do see the point. Average citizen wants more transparency in development cost breakdowns. But what would the citizen do with such fine breakdown? Not like they can negotiate individually for different materials or recommend different suppliers.

But as the property developer pointed out to me, to just demand land cost plus labour and building materials cost is inaccurate. It is because of all the ready infrastructure for residents that new HDB flat prices are underpriced.

Over and above, don't forget that prices are further discounted according to one's income and type of flat selected. Surely you don't want the issue where even the well-off are given big subsidies?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1