Ride Comfort vs Handling

Toeknee_33

handling is overrated if one doesn't take the car to tracks.

i like firm suspension but it must be comfortable enough.

that said, most modern family cars now are actually quite comfortable, even the "performance" ones like the G20 330 and Kia Stinger GT.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

The comfort vs handling argument is the epitomy of personal preference. There is no right answer.

I would agree that SG probably doesn't have many places to really enjoy handling advantages though. But equally, roads in Singapore are pretty damn good, smooth and we'll maintained compared to overseas roads that you could argue the comfort aspect is also less pronounced as well.

For me, a balanced car is best because I can only afford one car. I like a comfortable car when cruising, but I wouldn't pay money to downsize a rim.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

The current Renault Scenic rides on 20"

MPV somemore. Supposed to be comfort-biased. But looks good

Wonder what's the ride quality on that?

What I do know is that whenever I drive my dad's Toyota corolla and same  replacement rental car while my car was under repair on 15" rim and the thick profile tires that goes with it, yes, the ride is soft and cushy....if that is what is meant by comfort.

But.... 

There is no handling to talk about..... Every turn of the steering wheel is a guessing game when you are trying to place the front wheels to where you what the car to point.

Trying to point, squirt and accelerate into gaps in the next lane traffic, might as well blindfold me and I make a better guess in where my car will end up.

After a few I days, I finally able to empathize when they say some car model drivers drive like uncles....... Because the handling of their car is totally non existence.

Other than the FWD setup, the cushy suspension and high profile tyres definitely adds to the ambiguity of the handling. 

Yes, that is my personal opinion, we can always agree to disagree.  :D

• Praise 2

If you are coming from Mini kind of stiff suspension, Scenic is comfortable. If you are coming from Altis, the Scenic is quite uncomfortable.

• Praise 1

Yeah I notice the wheels are huge for an mpv but I looked at the width it's only 195mm. Not a wide tire.

But at 20" it's not cheap to replace locally.

Edited by Watwheels

What I do know is that whenever I drive my dad's Toyota corolla and same  replacement rental car while my car was under repair on 15" rim and the thick profile tires that goes with it, yes, the ride is soft and cushy....if that is what is meant by comfort.

But.... 

There is no handling to talk about..... Every turn of the steering wheel is a guessing game when you are trying to place the front wheels to where you what the car to point.

Trying to point, squirt and accelerate into gaps in the next lane traffic, might as well blindfold me and I make a better guess in where my car will end up.

After a few I days, I finally able to empathize when they say some car model drivers drive like uncles....... Because the handling of their car is totally non existence.

Other than the FWD setup, the cushy suspension and high profile tyres definitely adds to the ambiguity of the handling. 

Yes, that is my personal opinion, we can always agree to disagree.  :D

To some extend, tyre type play a role too. A car fitted with bridgestone ecopia ep150 will not give you the road feeling and handling you will get with Michelin PS4. I don't think FWD hinder handling. But in your case, as it is a Altis, I raise both hands and legs to agree  [laugh] That said Altis is a no frill point A to B car so handling is never the buyers priority. But that is another topic.

Yeah I notice the wheels are huge for an mpv but I looked at the width it's only 195mm. Not a wide tire.

But at 20" it's not cheap to replace locally.

and the fact the size is uncommon.

comfort to me only 2 key factors,

sound proof, and bumpiness.

but u can have this 2 with a good handling car also.

not necessary can choose 1 only

[;)]

• Praise 1

handling for me, comfort not necessary my priority.

don't like the floating feel. anyway, I buy a car to suit my preference and not to suit my passenger.

bmw with adaptive suspension have the best of both world.

• Praise 1

I prefer comfort over handling, BUT like the look of a larger rim, so often ended up in a difficult position when choosing my rim and tyre combi.

Having said that, a fatter tyre (high side profile - anything >60) may make the car overly soft, and when driving on NSHW, a passing bus or truck would have "rock" your ride left and right.

One more thing to add, tyre pressure plays a part too. In the old days, tyre pressure are barely above 220 Kpa (32 psi), but in the name of better fuel economy, more auto manufacturers are recommending tyre pressure of 250 Kpa (36 psi) and above, which take a toll on ride comfort (and increase noise level).

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

Personally don't like floaty and bouncy feeling in the default mode.

Every time start the car got to change the setting to adaptive dynamic stiff.

After some time wife and kids all got tuned accordingly.

Now no more complains from them

Edited by Solar
↡ Advertisement