• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic | 40 praises

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:06 AM

StreetFight3r
  • Premium member
    StreetFight3r
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Visitors to Orchard Road will soon be able to grab a bite from a food truck and catch a street performance under the stars.

A new monthly night-time event will kick off in May to inject vibrancy into the shopping belt's offerings after dusk.

Called Night at Orchard, it will feature arts, fashion, food and musical performances by buskers every first weekend of the month, organiser Orchard Road Business Association (Orba) told The Straits Times.

The first edition of the roving event will be held on the pedestrian walkways between Ion Orchard and Ngee Ann City on May 3, starting at 5pm. More details will be made available in the coming weeks.

It is part of a year-long trial for Orba to bring pop-up concepts and arts and entertainment events to pedestrian spaces along the street.

First announced in January as a piece of larger plans to refresh Orchard Road, the trial will kick off this month with a pop-up by Korean cosmetics brand Hera.

The Singapore Tourism Board's (STB) chief executive, Mr Keith Tan, told ST in a recent interview that the latest attempt to rejuvenate the 2.4km stretch must not "just remain plans".

There will be visible changes to the street from this year, starting with the street-level activities curated by Orba, he said.

Later phases may see other government proposals come to fruition, including the addition of more greenery and turning part of the street car-free.

Compared to countries like Taiwan with many famous permanent night markets - Shi Lin, Rao He, Shida etc etc, Bangkok - Chatuchak, Asiatique etc etc, even Malaysia got many night markets - Jonker, Alor Street, and as near as the night market outside KSL on Mondays, sg really lose out on street vibrancy. all we have are malls,malls, clean streets. even the shops in the malls are such repetition. every small same shops same items. everytime i go overseas youll be sure i plan night markets into our itinerary for the family. these vendors should also bring some form of uniqueness or identity in the items they are selling. if you go bali, theyre known for their rattan, wood, handmade products with engraving. we need some form of identity that represents sg and not just generic stuff we can buy from inside the malls. 

its a good step forward to allow buskers, street vendors into places like orchard, gardens by the bay etc. just hope we are not too late to play catchup, and not too rigid.

Edited by StreetFight3r, 15 April 2019 - 10:09 AM.

Vratenza praised this

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:47 PM

Playtime
  • Premium member
    Playtime
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I tot orchard towers already many many nite life love you deep deep πŸ˜‚
Locknload praised this

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Pasar Malam just say Pasar Malam lah! Simi Night at Orchard....I wonder how much they pay conned-sultants to come up with this name. Like "Budget Terminal" and "Marina Bay".

Hope no one kena food poisoning!

Edited by Volvobrick, 15 April 2019 - 03:10 PM.

Hoseyboh, Freeder, Ender and Beregond praised this

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:28 PM

Mockngbrd
  • Mockngbrd
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

$10 unicorn drink ah? mai la.

I so happy got Jewel open up near my place, no need go Orchard rd liao :x

Edited by Mockngbrd, 15 April 2019 - 04:28 PM.

Garage36.com

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:24 AM

UncleAtas
  • Premium member
    UncleAtas
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Food trucks need to be on the tarmac than can consider.

If food truck on pathway, might as well open tentage like pasar malam.

Refer to signature guidelines

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:28 AM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Pasar Malam just say Pasar Malam lah! Simi Night at Orchard....I wonder how much they pay conned-sultants to come up with this name. Like "Budget Terminal" and "Marina Bay".

They have to call it with nice nice name, so that the food that they sell also ex ex! Lol.

Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Life is very fragile. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:05 PM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Singapore also have Pasar malam and crowded. Only thing the price is restuarant price for mediocre food.
Just a few years back, went to the yearly geylang Pasar malam with my son. Spent more than $80 or so. Food so so nia. Told my son, we would have more satisfying food for $50 at Aston, Collins or jackplace.

Edited by Ender, 16 April 2019 - 01:08 PM.

Volvobrick praised this
You don’t stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:10 PM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Singapore also have Pasar malam and crowded. Only thing the price is restuarant price for mediocre food.
Just a few years back, went to the yearly geylang Pasar malam with my son. Spent more than $80 or so. Food so so nia. Told my son, we would have more satisfying food for $50 at Aston, Collins or jackplace.

You spent more than $80 on pasar malam food?!  :o

Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Life is very fragile. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

Beregond
  • Beregond
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I wonder how they will feel if they see this πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Volvobrick praised this

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:46 PM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i swore never to eat any pasar malam more than 10years ago. almost unedible crappy food. now i just go there after a nicer dinner and squeeze to look see. mostly rubbish food stalls out to make a quick buck.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:13 PM

PSP415
  • PSP415
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

i swore never to eat any pasar malam more than 10years ago. almost unedible crappy food. now i just go there after a nicer dinner and squeeze to look see. mostly rubbish food stalls out to make a quick buck.

Er...but there are some nice snacks. I love the fried oyster cake or "haobin" (Mandarin). Teochew is called Orr pia. But, price went from $1.80 to $3.50 now πŸ˜…. Also from same stall, the chix wings and sotong balls very nice. Think stall is Teochew Oyster Cakes or something like that. Got facebook fans so can read their next pasar malam location. Me not related to the stall owner ah.

I like the tapioca cakes (small round green colour), Vadai with prawns n must eat with fresh green chilli no chopped up. Fish keropok, sweet corn and coconut.

These are served piping hot except the coconut. πŸ˜…

Touch wood. No food poisoning thus far but got bad sore throat from the fried oyster cake (small round shaped with peanuts and choice of fillings with minced pork plus oyster or prawns or just cabbages) cos will eat 3 at a goπŸ˜‹. Eat die me.

Guess must know which stall to buy from.

Just sharing. Safe ride
Cheers

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

Angcheek
  • Premium member
    Angcheek
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I tot orchard towers already many many nite life love you deep deep πŸ˜‚

hahhaha ....   those non taxable .

They need more $$$ , must find way to intro taxes .  [:)]

ζ¨Ήε€šηΈ½ζœ‰ζž―ζžοΌŒδΊΊε€šηΈ½ζœ‰η™½η—΄

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: orchard, night market, busking and 1 more...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)