First Time Car Buyer Insurance

ChanSiLiang

Hi friends

I am getting a new Honda Jazz soon and as a first time driver, i am required to take Honda's insurance for the first year. However, i was offered 1 year and 2 year package.

I'm 30 years old, male. 

1 Year - $1995, 0% NCD, Excess: $600

2 Year - $3331, 0%NCD, Excess: $600

May i know if i should take the first year or take the 2 year package. If i change insurance, will they consider my NCD based on the Honda insurance i signed for.

Please kindly advise. New driver here. Thanks for the great help 

↡ Advertisement

As long as your ncd is with a a valid insurance company, should be OK bah. Mine is with kah motors via tokio marine.

• Praise 1

Hi friends

I am getting a new Honda Jazz soon and as a first time driver, i am required to take Honda's insurance for the first year. However, i was offered 1 year and 2 year package.

I'm 30 years old, male. 

May i know if i should take the first year or take the 2 year package. If i change insurance, will they consider my NCD based on the Honda insurance i signed for.

The package is strongly pushing you to take up 2 years as the 1st year seems to be jacked up.

I recommend to take just 1 year.  About 2 months before your insurance expiry, get better quotes using 10% NCD and based on your requirements.

• Praise 1

Hi friends

I'm 30 years old, male. 

Not sure what plan Honda provide but if it is premium plan then quite reasonable provided your license is new (Less than 2 years). You can consider 2-year plan if you obtained your license this year only. 

NCD will be ok if you change insurance company after 1 year.

• Praise 1

Hi friends

I'm 30 years old, male. 

have to look at a slightly bigger picture. 

does taking the 2 year policy translate to a higher insurance subsidy from KM than the 1 year policy ? then blend the numbers in to get an overall figure.

• Praise 2

Do ur math and homework...

Premium is tie to coverage.

Many just want cheap premiums... but didnt realise what they are covered.

Go for 1 yr plan. When near to expiry, hunt for a better one...

Assuming all remain the same, your second year premium will be $1795.5 (after 10% NCB). Total of your 2 years' premium will be $3790.5. Your package of $3331 saves you $459.5 which I think is not bad.

If you were to source separately, unless you can get it lower than $1535.5 for the second year, you don't gain.

• Praise 1

not sure if you are allowed to cancel the policy after a while if you can find a cheaper premium elsewhere.

2 years at 3k+ breaks it down to 1.5k/year which is not too bad for a new driver. still slightly pricey though. 

Insurance are rather expensive for 1st time new car buyer n those age below 26yo. 

When I bought my 1st car, I signed for 2 yrs comprehensive package from AD. I do check with others but somehow are much expensive on the 1st yr. but only the 2nd year are safer in the event of any accident. Do check up further and be sure to cover much such as named driver if car are often driven by any of family members. 

Neutral Newbie

it is advisable to get 3rd party insurance coverage for kia stonic(~$80,000) instead of comprehensive type? 

it make sense for high value conti cars >$200k-300k

Can save on premiums, since 3rd party cost less than half of comprehensive ones
Comprehensive ~$2k/yr
3rd party <$1k/yr
For 10 years, it could be $10,000 in savings

48 minutes ago, JERRY98 said:

it is advisable to get 3rd party insurance coverage for kia stonic(~$80,000) instead of comprehensive type? 

Comprehensive ~$2k/yr
3rd party <$1k/yr

What if you get into an accident and it’s your fault, are you willing to pay for your own repair?

2 hours ago, JERRY98 said:

Comprehensive ~$2k/yr
3rd party <$1k/yr

Got loan? If so think cannot

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

I’m also a first time car buyer but buying a used car of 3yrs.

Was waiting for the insurance quote from dealer n he just told me that based on my record, there was an “accident” claim made under my name some years back.

can this be possible? How do I check? 
I didn’t drive any car, own any car, rent any car, let alone have car insurance. 

thanks in advance. 

29 minutes ago, Gabjay said:

Hi all,

I’m also a first time car buyer but buying a used car of 3yrs.

Was waiting for the insurance quote from dealer n he just told me that based on my record, there was an “accident” claim made under my name some years back.

can this be possible? How do I check? 
I didn’t drive any car, own any car, rent any car, let alone have car insurance. 

thanks in advance. 

This is of course not possible, the guy was just pulling a fast one with you, can you get a quote from another one or two insurer  yourself? 

Neutral Newbie
17 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

This is of course not possible, the guy was just pulling a fast one with you, can you get a quote from another one or two insurer  yourself? 

oh i see.. i didnt know buying car from them also can kanna this kind of insurance trick.. 

thank u!

Neutral Newbie

hi, sorry anybody can advise me on this?

dealer told me will help try 2.28% and 2.78% loan from different banks. 

came back and told me one of the 2.78% is approved but no news for the 2.28% and assume that it may not have been approved. 

i asked them if the bank never respond, how they know whether is it approve or rejected?

is the dealer more happy that we go with the higher interest rate one so they got higher commission from the bank? 

and can we call up the bank to check on the status ourselves since it's applied under our name?

thanks!!

↡ Advertisement