Jack Ma endorses controversial 12 hours, 6 days week work culture

Sdf4786k

Turbocharged

I have mentioned before that I used to work in the shipyard and life there was really tough. This 996 is nothing. In the shipyard, got to do physical work and not just sit in cubicle.

Work starts at 7.25am but have to be there by 7am to prepare. Official end of work is 4.25pm, but this rarely happens. Because you have to handover your work to night shift crew who only comes in at 6.30pm. Then if there are heavy lift, working till 9pm or 12mn is the norm. Even when I go back at 7pm, I am still rushing to continue working and preparing all work/entry permits for the next day. Yes, all permits only last 24hrs, everyday have to apply. So next morning worker can start work. This goes on for 7 days a week.

Saturday was supposed to be half day but my manager rarely lets us go off, need to work full day.

Then Sunday also a working day as the workers all wana OT. The client also want work to be done ASAP cos each day in the yard is costing them money.

Therefore I am basically working 6.5 days a week. Clocking 14-16 hours a day. There is no life after work cos I will be so shack from work. There are 18 to 30 cargo holds in each ship, 6 to 9 storey tall. Need to climb up and down each cargo hold everyday to check on work progress. Then at times, need to work with the workers cos they dont know how to do some work. And every single day, at least 3 meetings to attend, safety meeting, client meeting and department meeting.

I lasted only 1 year and call it quits. Totally shacked out and no life at all. I wouldnt like to go back to such lifestyle and hope no one does it too. Unsustainable in the long term. Its work - sleep routine only. You will never see the sun shine at your own house.

Sounds like engineer in manufacturing or production ops. Machines break down, sure get recall, work till production can resume smoothly. Guide technicians. Attend meetings. Do planning and procurement of spares.

No labour law protection or overtime compensation for graduate level positions, thus open to abuse.

But shipyard still sounds worse in terms of hours in the long term.

I know someone who worked in this industry many years reach management level then retired. Basically the wife must be content to run the household in his absence.

Edited by Sosaria
↡ Advertisement

I have mentioned before that I used to work in the shipyard and life there was really tough. This 996 is nothing. In the shipyard, got to do physical work and not just sit in cubicle.

Work starts at 7.25am but have to be there by 7am to prepare. Official end of work is 4.25pm, but this rarely happens. Because you have to handover your work to night shift crew who only comes in at 6.30pm. Then if there are heavy lift, working till 9pm or 12mn is the norm. Even when I go back at 7pm, I am still rushing to continue working and preparing all work/entry permits for the next day. Yes, all permits only last 24hrs, everyday have to apply. So next morning worker can start work. This goes on for 7 days a week.

Saturday was supposed to be half day but my manager rarely lets us go off, need to work full day.

Then Sunday also a working day as the workers all wana OT. The client also want work to be done ASAP cos each day in the yard is costing them money.

Therefore I am basically working 6.5 days a week. Clocking 14-16 hours a day. There is no life after work cos I will be so shack from work. There are 18 to 30 cargo holds in each ship, 6 to 9 storey tall. Need to climb up and down each cargo hold everyday to check on work progress. Then at times, need to work with the workers cos they dont know how to do some work. And every single day, at least 3 meetings to attend, safety meeting, client meeting and department meeting.

I lasted only 1 year and call it quits. Totally shacked out and no life at all. I wouldnt like to go back to such lifestyle and hope no one does it too. Unsustainable in the long term. Its work - sleep routine only. You will never see the sun shine at your own house.

Thanks for sharing.

Heard bonus are in terms of years during the good times, true?

Thanks for sharing.

I never get to experience that. But hearsay its 8 to 9 months some 6 to 8 years ago.

Thanks for sharing.

There won't be good years for many years to come lah.

It's just too competitive.

From what I understand,

Shipyards all over Asia are losing money big big time over the last few years.

The South Korean shipyard industry is in the red and have undergone massive retrenchment. Even the Chinese are barely getting by and has closed yards.

I don't even want to be the farmer!

I want to be the landlord leasing the land to the farmer and taking the first 80% of his harvest, so that can have plenty of time to surf MCF.

You mean 9% right?

I never get to experience that. But hearsay its 8 to 9 months some 6 to 8 years ago.

I get what you mean.

I joined an oil and gas construction firm right after graduation. Also heard can get good bonus.

Max I got while I was there was 2 mths.

Turbocharged

Think it's the country culture?

Was in Beijing few months ago.

Even on Sunday their cafe was at least half packed with people working on their laptops.

The nearby Soho building office lights were mostly on.

Was told the competition for jobs is so high that people are easily replaced.

Employers are exploiting this.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

wah... would you rather monthly 20k get 2 months bonus or monthly 2k get 9 months bonus?

There won't be good years for many years to come lah.

It's just too competitive.

From what I understand,

Shipyards all over Asia are losing money big big time over the last few years.

The South Korean shipyard industry is in the red and have undergone massive retrenchment. Even the Chinese are barely getting by and has closed yards.

It is true the normal yards are not making much money but yards doing higher end stuff can be very profitable. Heard many of those working for Keppel were making tons of money during the last oil run.

It is true the normal yards are not making much money but yards doing higher end stuff can be very profitable. Heard many of those working for Keppel were making tons of money during the last oil run.

Oil rig drilling ain't coming back for the foreseeable future.

the oil game has changed. Fracking in the USA is now cheaper.

The break even for sea drilling of oil is higher than that.

Turbocharged

Yes. There are many tough jobs out there.

Actually many of those who do 12 hour shift work at production or maintenance. Even if just 6 days a week is already 60 hrs a week easy.

And sometimes they work 2 weeks on and then reverse back to day then back to night again.

I've worked long hours for many years. But there are many jobs out there that are even tougher.

yah manufacturing job is another tough one

typically 24/7 running on 2 to 3 shifts... but as engineer, need to jagar the operation, so always need to work much longer hours, especially when there are issues... and in manufacturing, every day also got issues

plotted my way out of manufacturing and never look back :D

wah... would you rather monthly 20k get 2 months bonus or monthly 2k get 9 months bonus?

ð¬ð

Of course 20k with 9 months bonus.
  • Praise 3

That I am not sure. With fracking cash cost at USD50, it may be hard for oil to sustain at above $70-80/ bbl which I was told is needed for offshore projects to take off but you never know. Oil is a heavily politicized commodity.
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

yah manufacturing job is another tough one

typically 24/7 running on 2 to 3 shifts... but as engineer, need to jagar the operation, so always need to work much longer hours, especially when there are issues... and in manufacturing, every day also got issues

plotted my way out of manufacturing and never look back :D

Same same, my first job out of uni :D When young, still ok, can learn a hell lot due to the long hours spent at work solving issues. Looking back, the company was a good engineering graduate school of hard knocks. But I also plotted and planned to "graduate" myself and left [laugh]
  • Praise 1

Think it's the country culture?

Was in Beijing few months ago.

Even on Sunday their cafe was at least half packed with people working on their laptops.

The nearby Soho building office lights were mostly on.

Was told the competition for jobs is so high that people are easily replaced.

Employers are exploiting this.

Yes, it is exploitation. When supply is more than demand, you got all willing to die for you. The key is whether this is good for society and in general for people? What is the point of doing so many bad things then try to be a philanthropy? Pray 10 times a day also no use hor

• Praise 2

Yes, it is exploitation. When supply is more than demand, you got all willing to die for you. The key is whether this is good for society and in general for people? What is the point of doing so many bad things then try to be a philanthropy? Pray 10 times a day also no use hor

And closer to home, we have talented people who try to "improve" their income.

SINGAPORE - A doctor posted to Changi General Hospital (CGH) reported sick on Nov 20, 2015, so he could work as a locum at a private clinic instead.

Five days later, Joel Arun Sursas forged a medical certificate (MC) for his purported sick leave.

On Wednesday (April 17), Sursas, 28, pleaded guilty in court to one count of forgery. Three other charges for similar offences will be considered during sentencing.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Ben Mathias Tan told District Judge Mathew Joseph that Sursas worked at CGH's diagnostic radiology department between Sept 1, 2015, and Jan 4, 2016.

He worked as a locum, or stand-in doctor, at Etern Medical Clinic on 47 separate occasions between July 10 and Dec 11, 2015.

The court heard that after reporting sick on Nov 20, Sursas worked at the clinic from 6.30pm to 9.30pm, earning $95 an hour.

Court documents did not state the exact location of the clinic where Sursas had worked as a locum. An online search showed that Etern has several branches, including in Sengkang and Punggol.

On Nov 25, Sursas wrote himself an MC and created a false impression that a locum at Etern had signed it. He later submitted the forged MC to CGH.

The DPP said: "By forging and backdating the forged MC in this manner, the accused was in breach of his professional duties owed as a doctor... The offence was difficult to detect and was only uncovered when CGH made inquiries with Etern."

The Straits Times reported in October last year that the Singapore Medical Council's disciplinary tribunal had found him guilty of working as a locum on 47 occasions, issuing MCs to himself in such a way as to give the impression that they had been issued by another doctor, and backdating one of his certificates.

The tribunal suspended him for three years, imposed a $15,000 fine, censured him and ordered him to pay the cost of the proceedings.

Sursas had been granted temporary registration in May 2015 to be employed by the Ministry of Health Holdings (MOHH) and to work in an institution approved by the SMC.

The MOHH terminated his employment in January 2016 after his actions were uncovered. With the termination, the SMC cancelled his temporary registration, which meant he could no longer practise here.

The ST report stated that as he is no longer a registered doctor, the tribunal's decision to suspend him is moot.

Sursas' bail was set at $5,000 and he is expected to be sentenced on May 7. Offenders convicted of forgery can be jailed for up to four years and fined.

Friends in the line tell me O&G is bad now, jurong island also very quiet.

Expect China to muscle in big time too.

ya  many of us easily hit 10 hrs.

when i was young, even sunday and public holiday i chiong abit.

it sound bad when he ask ppl to chiong long hours.

but if u yourself dun chiong when young and u struggle later u gonna question yourself,

why last time no 1 motivate me to chiong while i can ..

12 hours also quite normal in a bank.

When I was younger, I didn't even have time to have a proper meal during lunch. All I can do is to pop out, buy a bottle of milk and pop right back to office; that bottle of milk is lunch. This can happen 5 days a week, not once or twice.

The problem with young people these days is when I interview them, they all expect good life and plenty of money without even going through the crap I went through.

Most of them really think we all got up there by just going to office 9am to 5pm?  :yuush:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3