NUS GIRL takes her perpetrator to task

Playtime

Turbocharged

remember the BMW bicycle=tree branch case?

sometimes I don't understand how some sentences is decided in singapore...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged

I'm wondering how much punishment would satisfy Monica.

Expulsion? Criminal record? Jail? Caning?

Just to be clear so that she isn't disappointed.

Think she expects jail term, or 1mil compensation would work too. That said, the current sentence spelled out is indeed too light.
  • Praise 1

Simi sentence?

I don't see anything substantial meted out for this straightforward case of outrage/insult of modesty. A warning vs a 2-week sentence make a world of difference.

NUS should have expelled him, at the minimum, given the video evidence and CCTV footage.

• Praise 7

remember the BMW bicycle=tree branch case?

sometimes I don't understand how some sentences is decided in singapore...

That was a real joke... if the driver had stayed in a 1 room flat driving a delivery van instead of bukit timah landed driving a luxury car.. don't thin there'll be tree branche defence

why is the anger directed at an institution’s internal punishment system? I’m more interested on what grounds did the POLICE gave that stern warning...

• Praise 13

I'm wondering how much punishment would satisfy Monica.

Expulsion? Criminal record? Jail? Caning?

Just to be clear so that she isn't disappointed.

to the letter of Law

post-1137-0-66000200-1555806644_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

I feel that first time offender in this should be given a second chance as accorded by the law after considering circumstances. And Nus has also aligned accordingly.

This girl does not feel justice is served. Wants Nus to do more - whatever it is. Sure go ahead. But she can do all of it without shaming the boy and could have taken higher moral ground - vindictiveness is not a virtue and in this current climate - alas our society has no check.

Turbocharged

I feel that first time offender in this should be given a second chance as accorded by the law after considering circumstances. And Nus has also aligned accordingly.

This girl does not feel justice is served. Wants Nus to do more - whatever it is. Sure go ahead. But she can do all of it without shaming the boy and could have taken higher moral ground - vindictiveness is not a virtue and in this current climate - alas our society has no check.

I don't think what Monica wants is the main consideration.

Law is about making Singapore a safer place to live. 

What does the law says about filming girls while they are bathing? If you are a first offender, you get of with a warning??

Have anyone found the case notes for this case? Was it even brought to court? I think the police need to make it clear why that guy was let off with only a warning so as to teach any would-be peeping toms how to get off with a warning. Is it because he is drunk? So just drink a couple of beers to get your "get of jail" card.

Remember the sad case of the BMW cyclist? I lost faith in our system that day. To me what the law is saying, if you can afford to pay a few thousand of dollars, don't bother stopping in an accident. Especially if you just came back from zouk. I think someone should compile a list of such sentences over the years.

https://www.asiaone.com/News/The%2BNew%2BPaper/Story/A1Story20100930-239839.html

"Taken to court over the accident, Wong claimed that the soundproofing of the Lexus was so good that she thought the "sounds" she heard were caused by the tree branch.

Last month, she was fined a total of $2,400 - $800 on each of three charges - and disqualified from driving for a year.

She had pleaded guilty to inconsiderate driving, failing to stop after an accident and failing to render assistance after an accident."

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 2

Errr...but... vindictiveness is practised to an art by the royalty of this land...

Not saying she is vindictive, but she has more criminal case than what had been done all along.

I don't think what Monica wants is the main consideration.

Law is about making Singapore a safer place to live.

What does the law says about filming girls while they are bathing? If you are a first offender, you get of with a warning??

Remember the sad case of the BMW cyclist? I lost faith in our system that day. To me what the law is saying, if you can afford to pay a few thousand of dollars, don't bother stopping in an accident. Especially if you just came back from zouk. I think someone should compile a list of such sentences over the years.

https://www.asiaone.com/News/The%2BNew%2BPaper/Story/A1Story20100930-239839.html

"Taken to court over the accident, Wong claimed that the soundproofing of the Lexus was so good that she thought the "sounds" she heard were caused by the tree branch.

Last month, she was fined a total of $2,400 - $800 on each of three charges - and disqualified from driving for a year.

She had pleaded guilty to inconsiderate driving, failing to stop after an accident and failing to render assistance after an accident."

Law is based on facts of case, precedents, the stated law and yes - lawyers too.

Hard for us to judge and people are doing it and unwittingly get co-opted into a personal vendetta masquerading as social justice.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Law is based on facts of case, precedents, the stated law and yes - lawyers too.

Hard for us to judge and people are doing it and unwittingly get co-opted into a personal vendetta masquerading as social justice.

I agree, so don't you think the police owe the public an explanation? Or should the public place their faith that the system itself is always fair?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Actually, I am curious what do you think she could have done without shaming the boy...

I think she did let the law ran its course. NUS started doing things AFTER she blew it up in social media.

Do you expect her to blow things up, show her face in public, telling the whole world she was filmed, with the risk of the video being leaked, AND protect the peeping tom by keeping his name anonymous???

I thought 99% of girls will not blow this kind of things up. I honestly think she is doing Singapore and the public a huge favour at great cost to herself. If not, such injustice will be swept under the rug and no one will know. What is there to protect the next girl who gets filmed?

I think it is a huge virtue, a sense of justice and a willingness to stand up for it. 

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 10

Supercharged

Actually, I am curious what do you think she could have done without shaming the boy...

I think she did let the law ran its course. NUS started doing things AFTER she blew it up in social media.

Do you expect her to blow things up, show her face in public, telling the whole world she was filmed, with the risk of the video being leaked, AND protect the peeping tom by keeping his name anonymous???

I thought 99% of girls will not blow this kind of things up. I honestly think she is doing Singapore and the public a huge favour at great cost to herself. If not, such injustice will be swept under the rug and no one will know. What is there to protect the next girl who gets filmed?

I think it is a huge virtue, a sense of justice and a willingness to stand up for it.

Nus did punish the pervert.bar half yr.

Police only warn the pervert.

Police let off too lightly

would be good to know the reasoning of the police for recommending no charge. unusual. and unusual outcome can be because of unusual factors, not just lapses.  

• Praise 2

would be good to know the reasoning of the police for recommending no charge. unusual. and unusual outcome can be because of unusual factors, not just lapses.

low(er) the crime #?? hehee

Totally unacceptable

Oni when go in Social media then they nicely convene inquiry?

That's the power of social media. Without it, case will be swept under the carpet and closed

The police is not accountable to the public on how they do their work.

Short answer NO

But this works

giphy (3).gif

But the majority will still vote for the govt. So voting will also not work
  • Praise 1

once the fake news laws come in... i wonder what will happen to the likes of her... and all the others who have no financial, political influence,  or social recourse. if the man really has influence, she will be hung out to dry.... just like the CHC and TT Durai has shown in the past.

the CHCs, TT Durais and various individuals are already well protected now... after fake news law... i guess it will be "peace upon the land"...

Cn76-6dUMAEfd6z.jpg

Totally unacceptable

Oni when go in Social media then they nicely convene inquiry?

dont worry.... after fake news law... maybe no more cases to make your blood boil.

see,,, actually fake news law was proposed by health ministry to improve the mental and blood pressure of singaporeans.

big brother is always right....

↡ Advertisement