NUS GIRL takes her perpetrator to task

Playtime

Roster hall residents to do guard duty outside the female shower/toilet? [laugh]

The problem has always been there for a long time. It's often very difficult to catch the person red-handed and on the rare occasions that one is caught, the hope is that there'll be some serious action taken.

Last time when I stayed in hall, there were few security cctv, but no such thing as camera-equipped phones either. Those days there was lingerie theft instead [laugh]

I doubt lingerie theft but rather more like mix up in the washer/dryer room.

I did lost one or two underpants and offset by unknown source one or two underpants over a semester.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I doubt lingerie theft but rather more like mix up in the washer/dryer room.

I did lost one or two underpants and offset by unknown source one or two underpants over a semester. ð

No lehh... Some female hall residents lost their underwear left in the washer or dryer, never collect immediately. Happens occasionally. The laundry room is at ground floor. That time I stay at ground level room, so got one girl ask me help to keep a lookout for suspicious characters [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria

my hostel only one common shower room and wash room. one common pantry. no gender segregation of house or floor.

the only security..rubber dispensing machine at the common rest room and card automated entrance gates.

Edited by Kopites

Turbocharged

If you read her initial post.. She hinted that NUS had a direct effect on the lightness of the police action..

I would actually like police to clarify directly if that is indeed true..

If it wasn't then what grounds was the sentence so light?

Yup I thought it’s weird that the police refer her to nus if she wants further action...

It appears that the police has been delegated the rights to sentence Lim, in this case, with a mere warning on an insult of modesty offense. Are such rights given by the executive or the judiciary powers?

Is this due to resourcing issues of the judges and/or the AG? Why then does the AG has time to pursue a well publicised family affair?

Do we have statistics of how many insult of modesty cases slapped with warning instead of custodial time?

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 7

You might disagree but no need to slyly insinuate that Monica has a thirst for vengeance which needs to be satisfied.

There is nothing sly about it. She isn't happy with the outcome. She wants justice. Hence, I ask, what would she be satisfied with.

Yup I thought itâs weird that the police refer her to nus if she wants further action...

I think the police is saying;"don't disturb us la.. we not going to do Anything else. Go disturb your school. "

The classic "not my department!!"

Just don't understand why there are people treating this matter lightly or even siding or speaking up for the peeping tom. A crime has been committed against an innocent party. A criminal that has not been taken to task rightly. If a criminal commits such a crime and being let off lightly, then might as well everyone have a go at it because all perpetrators will be let off. Silly if we are unable to judge fairly and starts giving possible excuses even someone has hurt another. What happened to Lady Justice over here in Singapore.

• Praise 12

I lost quite a few underwear when in hostel.. haiz those days .. girls ha

ya man ... those days ... u had the biggest size  :XD:  

• Praise 4

Just don't understand why there are people treating this matter lightly or even siding or speaking up for the peeping tom. A crime has been committed against an innocent party. A criminal that has not been taken to task rightly. If a criminal commits such a crime and being let off lightly, then might as well everyone have a go at it because all perpetrators will be let off. Silly if we are unable to judge fairly and starts giving possible excuses even someone has hurt another. What happened to Lady Justice over here in Singapore.

Lady justice busy la.. she wear blindfold one.. cannot see.

Busy with LWL, LHY, LSF, LSW, ROY, LTH, PRESIDENCY, AHTC, ..

Once fake news law in.. maybe her eyes will even be removed permanently.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/nus-students-union-condemns-sexual-harassment-urges-students-not-harass-peeping-tom

NUS students’ union condemns sexual harassment, urges students not to harass peeping tom

SINGAPORE — The executive committee of the National University of Singapore’s (NUS) students’ union said that it condemns any form of sexual harassment at the institution, but urged fellow students not to harass the male undergraduate who was caught filming a female student in the shower.

Justice “needs to consider both the victim and the perpetrator, and needs to be proportionate”, the committee said in a statement issued to students on Sunday (April 21).

In a separate statement issued on the same day, NUS dean of students Peter Pang also stressed that the university unequivocally “does not tolerate sexual misconduct in any form”.

The statements come after communications and new media undergraduate Monica Baey posted on Instagram lamenting the university’s response to her complaint that a chemical engineering student named Nicholas Lim had filmed her taking a shower in November last year at one of the university’s residential halls.

Noting that the peeping tom was only suspended from school for a semester and made to write an apology letter, Ms Baey, 23, called on NUS to take stronger actions against individuals who commit such acts.

NUS said on Saturday that it will set up a committee to review its current disciplinary and support frameworks.

In its statement, the executive committee of the students’ union expressed regret that Ms Baey and other victims of sexual harassment “have had to go through such traumatic experiences as an NUS student”.

Though it pointed out that the “discussion on the issue of sexual harassment and this particular case is important and welcome”, the committee “also strongly urges fellow students to not harass Mr Nicholas Lim and his family”.

While it noted that action had been taken against the perpetrator, it said that NUS’ policy on sexual harassment could be reviewed in various areas such as increasing awareness and education on sexual harassment, and improving social-psychological support for victims.

In light of this incident, the students’ union is also coming up with an action plan to address sexual harassment, which includes looking into whether existing sentencing guidelines should be revised.

TIGHTENING PENALTY SYSTEM

Apologising for the “distressing experience” suffered by Ms Baey, Associate Professor Pang said in his note to students that the university believes every case of sexual misconduct must be investigated, and offenders must be disciplined.

“We are fully committed to strengthening and expanding the infrastructure, policies and procedures to investigate cases of sexual misconduct and to take strong disciplinary action,” he said.

The review of current student disciplinary and support frameworks, he noted, is aimed at tightening the “penalty system for offences that affect the safety of our campuses”.

Findings of the study and follow-up actions will be shared with students in the new academic year, which begins in August.

He noted that the committee, which comprises members from the NUS Board of Trustees, will study the approaches taken by other international institutions, and solicit views from students, parents and other stakeholders.

“We hear your concerns about having a safer and more supportive campus environment,” Assoc Prof Pang said in his note to NUS students. “We will do everything we can to ensure that you are safe and supported during your time with us.”

Strange that this Nicholas Lim Jun Kai can sexual harass pple and NUS is telling pple cannot harass him? 

Is this Nicholas Lim Jun Kai really from powerful family or white horse? 

Edited by Mahjong74
  • Praise 1

From what I read, there is some inconsistency in terms of the punishment melted out but I really don’t think he should go to jail and hold a criminal record his entire life for a single lapse in judgement for a non violence act (I am not undervaluing modesty as it is getting really rare in today’s society). This may be his one and only peeping tom act, otherwise it should be a minimum 2 weeks detention at Changi, but I don’t know enough to pass judgement. So this trial by social media is not right but that is just my opinion.

Some say if she is my daughter, I would think differently... maybe... I don’t know but if this is one off, maybe the stupid boy should be given a second chance. I agree more with @Tonyng on this matter.

I disagree on that... purely on the basis that they were FRIENDS. It was not a one off stressed out desire thing... truth is... he definitely had the thought about peeping at her before.. but STILL went ahead and did it.

• Praise 1

I disagree on that... purely on the basis that they were FRIENDS. It was not a one off stressed out desire thing... truth is... he definitely had the thought about peeping at her before.. but STILL went ahead and did it.

Actually this NUS victim also quite chio and pretty. 

Agree with you that this Nicholas Lim definitely has the thought and target the victim for a very long time already. 

I don't think this Nicholas Lim will peep at her if she look like this

post-5639-0-16213700-1555848041.jpg

Turbocharged

Agree with you that this Nicholas Lim definitely has the thought and target the victim for a very long time already.

Don't agree. This level of chio is a dime a dozen in NUS [laugh] Plus more daring dressing also.
  • Praise 1

Don’t under estimate the way perverts thinks.

The picture you shown, maybe their ultimate “ holy grail “

• Praise 8

Exactly my thoughts. A crime has indeed been committed by a man.

Common sense would say NUS do a better job managing this and past incidents. They failed!

Penal codes clearly states this man committed am offence, not a minor one, and that man confessed as well. Police failed to provide public confidence.

Some said the man deserved a second chance. Don't drug traffickers deserved a one too?

A crime is a crime. Law by law. No favorisim. All impartial.

If this incident has been dealt with correctly at the onset, and the full law served upon the man, they won't be any public outcry.

• Praise 8

Turbocharged

Earlier on, I was just joking that the father is 李剛。

Many pages have passed since I last posted, so, is the father still 李剛 or has there been any update on this?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2