The local road that smell great

Heartlander

Understand this topic is not that relevant over here because most of us drive with windows wound up. And most often than not we are trying to get away from bad smell when on the road, like behind a garbage truck or bus.

But I think most would not believe that we do have a road in Singapore that smell great, albeit only for a few months per year I believe, and it stretches over more than 10km! If in a garden setting then that would be nothing to crow about haha. And most of us would not have noticed it anyway unless we are insane enough to punish ourselves by riding over the stretch of road, which will mean cycling for more than 40km each trip at least.

Ok I am talking about this notorious Changi Coastal Road which many of us would avoid like plague as there seems to be no reason to get there unless we are going to the Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal for some business.

I have been pounding this stretch of road in recent months every weekend from Bedok Jetty vicinity to hit Changi Point hawker center for a treat of refreshing coconut before pushing myself back. Not a lot but definitely good exercise nonetheless.

And roughly 2 weeks ago I started to smell some strong fragrance along the stretch while I was pushing myself hard and catching breath. Then I realised that some wise guy in NPark had planted some flowering trees alternately along the whole stretch of road! So when the small trees started to bloom recently, the air around the stretch of road smell really nice, much like the common garden plant that smell great with tiny white flowers.

So if you want to try something different, why not try cycle the road for a change. The scenery sucks, but the smell is great. Better hurry while it last haha.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

But the local weather is very difficult for me to wind down the window when driving. Only at night when cooler I open my sunroof but still with aircon on when driving non expressway. At

• Praise 1

(edited)

Frangipani smell?

The fragrance is strong but the plant is not frangipani, small strings of drooping flowers.

But the local weather is very difficult for me to wind down the window when driving. Only at night when cooler I open my sunroof but still with aircon on when driving non expressway. At

I not sure if winding down can smell the flowers, further more that there is a cycling lane in between that cars are not supposed to encroach.

The experience is best when cycling on the cycling lane closer to the kerb. It is good to take in this fragrance while pushing yourself hard. 

I attached 2 pictures to show the place. Actually to be exact most of it is Tanah Merah Coast Road.

post-101253-0-57381200-1555759471_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-63360000-1555759479_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heartlander

(edited)

Hantu tek tek smell

That came to my mind actually when I first experienced it haha. But then I saw the tiny flowers all over the trees planted alternately across the whole route. But then again I am assuming the fragrance must be from the flowers as there is no other explanation. And I am not stopping just to smell the flowers as I want to maintain my speed. Damn, hope I am not wrong.

Actually the route is abit errie. I really would not want  to cycle there at night by myself.

Edited by Heartlander

That came to my mind actually when I first experienced it haha. But then I saw the tiny flowers all over the trees planted alternately across the whole route. But then again I am assuming the fragrance must be from the flowers as there is no other explanation. And I am not stopping just to smell the flowers as I want to maintain my speed. Damn, hope I am not wrong.

Actually the route is abit errie. I really would not want  to cycle there at night by myself.

if the starlight troops still stop there, you wont be lonely... bring some cold drinks, can make good profits you know.

better still... portable satay stall, guarantee you sold out  [:p]

if the starlight troops still stop there, you wont be lonely... bring some cold drinks, can make good profits you know.

better still... portable satay stall, guarantee you sold out  [:p]

Pardon my ignorance but I do not know what is starlight troop. From Commando unit there? Or from the army camp in Bedok Camp?

Pardon my ignorance but I do not know what is starlight troop. From Commando unit there? Or from the army camp in Bedok Camp?

ROC training.. they (we all) wait along the road to enter airport for flight.

u never go ROC?

• Praise 1

u never go ROC?

The starlight troops still same like last time, and wait along that road to enter airport ah? I think can see some army troops conduct road march along that road also.

u never go ROC?

Unfortunately never haha. Very unlucky to lose when drawing lots as many jostled for the few vacancies.

I went smell flowers.. maybe too early flower still sleeping.. din manage to smell it..

btw only a short stretch with the plant u mentioned right?

post-16437-0-48303200-1555803365_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 1

The starlight troops still same like last time, and wait along that road to enter airport ah? I think can see some army troops conduct road march along that road also.

Road match u say?

(edited)

I went smell flowers.. maybe too early flower still sleeping.. din manage to smell it..

btw only a short stretch with the plant u mentioned right?

Should be across the whole of right side along the coast. If you see google map, can see the trees being planted the whole stretch.

I am thinking if you too focus on cycling and not sensitive to surrounding, you might just not be aware of it. But once you catch hold of the smell, you will be conscious of it throughout.

Edited by Heartlander

Along AYE before bird park.

The chocolate smell is strong.

Chocolate is one of the Worlds most popular flavour.

So should be the best smelling stretch for chocolate fans.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1