Home-fix in trouble?

Adrianli

Isn't F&P owned by Haier ? Another China brand.

Actually quite a number of Chinese brands are successful internationally and they are ECE certified. Among the more popular ones which is even available in Europe are Haier, TEC and HiSense. 

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/boss-diy-chain-home-fix-reinvents-prevent-stores-turning-showrooms

SINGAPORE â It grew from a humble hardware store in Geylang Serai to become a modern DIY (Do-It-Yourself) retail chain with over 20 stores in Singapore and Malaysia.

But with the rise of e-commerce, Home-Fix managing director Low Cheong Kee found his physical stores turning into "showrooms". Customers came to browse before scooting off to buy items on platforms like Amazon and Taobao.

Mr Low knew he had to re-invent his business model and, in recent years, Home-Fix has expanded its offerings to include DIFY (Do-It-For-You) and DIWY (Do-It-With-You) services. It is able to send handymen to do home repairs, and also teaches patrons how to build their own furniture and fix up their homes.

It launched an "experience centre", known as XPC, at its headquarters, where various courses are held â from teaching patrons to use specific power tools, to building their own wardrobe, to coding.

Mr Low also embarked on a "right-sizing" exercise over the last two years, reducing the number of brick-and-mortar stores in Singapore from 26 to 16, even as he beefed up Home-Fix's online presence.

"The sheer numbers game doesn't make sense anymore... We believe that expanding into the services sphere will help us to reach out better to our customers," said Mr Low, 54.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong cited Home-Fix's efforts to adapt to technological disruption as a case study at the annual May Day Rally on Tuesday (May 1).

"(Mr Low) is building new relationships with customers, doing things which online stores will find hard to replicate," Mr Lee said in his speech.

About 800 people have participated in the courses which Home-Fix began offering last year under the national SkillsFuture initiative. It has trained another 2,000 individuals and groups through workshops held at the XPC, said Mr Low

"Young customers no longer see the mall as a place to buy things... This has been an ongoing change, and we use training as a way to go around it," he said.

Mr Low stressed the need for retailers to constantly adapt to changing trends. His grandparents switched from selling charcoal to hardware between the 1960s and 1980s, as more Singaporeans started to reside in high-rise buildings. When he took over the family business in 1993, he ventured into the area of home improvement.

Home-Fix hopes to embrace "service-centredness" as a core component of its mission within the next five years.

"This conversion from a brick-and-mortar firm to an omni-channel retailer is a process... We are still adjusting and trying to find our footing," said Mr Low.

Simi kinda article is this? Has anyone here actually heard of XPC??

Supersonic

What is a rotary hammer? Even heard of it even though i diy

Rotary hammer drill is what contractors use when they come to your house to install something as small as a hook, as big as a kitchen cabinet, ceiling fan, etc, ( not a stupid hammer drill, you see in some DIY shop. [:p] )

The cheapest is probably a Stanley

https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=256

They use SDS concrete drill bits, which is not really expensive.

All you probably need for common household stuff is a M6 SDS drill bit ($5), a box of M6 wall plugs ($2) and screws.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/boss-diy-chain-home-fix-reinvents-prevent-stores-turning-showrooms

SINGAPORE â It grew from a humble hardware store in Geylang Serai to become a modern DIY (Do-It-Yourself) retail chain with over 20 stores in Singapore and Malaysia.

But with the rise of e-commerce, Home-Fix managing director Low Cheong Kee found his physical stores turning into "showrooms". Customers came to browse before scooting off to buy items on platforms like Amazon and Taobao.

Mr Low knew he had to re-invent his business model and, in recent years, Home-Fix has expanded its offerings to include DIFY (Do-It-For-You) and DIWY (Do-It-With-You) services. It is able to send handymen to do home repairs, and also teaches patrons how to build their own furniture and fix up their homes.

It launched an "experience centre", known as XPC, at its headquarters, where various courses are held â from teaching patrons to use specific power tools, to building their own wardrobe, to coding.

Mr Low also embarked on a "right-sizing" exercise over the last two years, reducing the number of brick-and-mortar stores in Singapore from 26 to 16, even as he beefed up Home-Fix's online presence.

"The sheer numbers game doesn't make sense anymore... We believe that expanding into the services sphere will help us to reach out better to our customers," said Mr Low, 54.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong cited Home-Fix's efforts to adapt to technological disruption as a case study at the annual May Day Rally on Tuesday (May 1).

"(Mr Low) is building new relationships with customers, doing things which online stores will find hard to replicate," Mr Lee said in his speech.

About 800 people have participated in the courses which Home-Fix began offering last year under the national SkillsFuture initiative. It has trained another 2,000 individuals and groups through workshops held at the XPC, said Mr Low

"Young customers no longer see the mall as a place to buy things... This has been an ongoing change, and we use training as a way to go around it," he said.

Mr Low stressed the need for retailers to constantly adapt to changing trends. His grandparents switched from selling charcoal to hardware between the 1960s and 1980s, as more Singaporeans started to reside in high-rise buildings. When he took over the family business in 1993, he ventured into the area of home improvement.

Home-Fix hopes to embrace "service-centredness" as a core component of its mission within the next five years.

"This conversion from a brick-and-mortar firm to an omni-channel retailer is a process... We are still adjusting and trying to find our footing," said Mr Low.

Hsien loong shows his midas touch again.

Supersonic

Another tool I had to use today is the high pressure water washer.

The kitchen drain was backing up waste water every time they use the tap.

So I looked down the hole and it was filled with rice and whatnot leftover food from months ago.

They escape the first trap and ended down at the bottom of the discharge pipe.

Stick the high pressure pipe in the hole and clean up the mess in a few minutes.

My LG direct drive is already more than 15 yrs. That time they were the cheaper brand, now also expensive.

So far changed that huge metal ring clip that broke because of rust. And the drain pipe leak twice, just glue the leak with contact cement.

you lied you wash cloths once every 15years only

how to spoilt

• Praise 8

Sakport our MCF bro hardware shop leh.

homefix shop is one of the guys here one? Edited by Mustank

homefix shop is one of the guys here one?

No la.

One of the bro here have a hardware shop at Ubi.

• Praise 1

Rotary hammer drill is what contractors use when they come to your house to install something as small as a hook, as big as a kitchen cabinet, ceiling fan, etc, ( not a stupid hammer drill, you see in some DIY shop. [:p] )

The cheapest is probably a Stanley

https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=256

They use SDS concrete drill bits, which is not really expensive.

All you probably need for common household stuff is a M6 SDS drill bit ($5), a box of M6 wall plugs ($2) and screws.

I want I want but already have 3 drills!

DIFY and DIWY sound kinky....

Supersonic

I want I want but already have 3 drills!

I used to have hammer drills, but I often run into problem with concrete, when I shifted into my current hdb flat.

It seems the wall was much tougher.

I thought by upgrading, it would solve the problem, so I went from 550W to 650W to 750W hammer drill.

All the same problem, could not punch concrete. Wasted 3 drills.

Then I asked my friend, he said, he just have a 700W drill, no problem.

Then I realized he was using a Makita rotary hammer drill, the one with an extended mid-section where the hammer mechanism is.

From then on, I invested in a Makita rotary (about $200) and never looked back. [:p]

• Praise 2

u went China for the silk rd meeting with pinky ? :D

I was disappointed because I was expecting some cai png stall.

you friend very humble looking leh

• Praise 7

I was disappointed because I was expecting some cai png stall.

you friend very humble looking leh

he is after all at the mercy of the Dragon ... better to look humble .  :D

• Praise 6

I used to have hammer drills, but I often run into problem with concrete, when I shifted into my current hdb flat.

It seems the wall was much tougher.

I thought by upgrading, it would solve the problem, so I went from 550W to 650W to 750W hammer drill.

All the same problem, could not punch concrete. Wasted 3 drills.

Then I asked my friend, he said, he just have a 700W drill, no problem.

Then I realized he was using a Makita rotary hammer drill, the one with an extended mid-section where the hammer mechanism is.

From then on, I invested in a Makita rotary (about $200) and never looked back. [:p]

Hehe me too

Good stuff cannot bluff

• Praise 1

I go there quite often but hang out at the back.  :a-whiteflag:

No la.

One of the bro here have a hardware shop at Ubi.

You sell sandpaper one right? 

Who.?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1