• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
462 replies to this topic | 990 praises

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:44 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

the difference in psf is so huge, hence my question on privileges.  is Cashew so special to justify the difference.

again, Countryside lanes are wide.  Lentor lanes are narrow.

west coast units are very rare for sale and need rebuilt normally due to the bad condition.

seller's agent sure bias...

paying rent for 20 years, the house is not belong to you...

Not really bro. Units there are less than 30 years and you have to keep a lookout. Remember there's West Coast i.e. Farrer, and Clementi or next Ginza Plaza and there's West Coast near Pasir Panjang MRT, such as Jambol area.

Looking at the last transacted prices, you can get something under 3mil. 

Eg previously the owner of no 9 Jambol Place was asking 2.85mil for his 1616 sq feet unit. 200m to the MRT, quiet and three stories.. there will be shops at the Bijou condo, and across the road is the new PSA building, with stores inside. 1 train stop from ARC, 3 stops from Vivo (where there's a library), and NTUC Extra coming up.

No one will give you a free pass bro, you have to look out for deals... and be prepared to have your check ready at the first viewing. Yes, you heard me right. One shot, one kill. Sometimes that's how it rolls. 

So do your financial homework first. If you are still shooting the breeze, you may miss some units.

Eg, in the third quarter of 2018, a Ming Teck Park unit was sold for 2.8mil. Facing greenery, and 1800 sq ft. How's that. 1km to Henry Park too.

But now it's gone. Different times, different prices.. 

I didn't like Cashew.. so try West Coast bro... you set the cap and budget limits.. so you get what you pay for..

An extensive reno can run into >300k. Not A&A which costs more, and a rebuild will cost 600k and up, when you find a nice place, I can share a good contractor with you.

Do your homework, that's my suggestion, and honestly, you are a little behind the game... prices have consolidated a bit.

2017 to 2018 first half was a much better time to shop... but don't get disheartened, there are still nice places. 

The thing about landed is that you have to look, ask for non-listed units, don't just look at Prop guru, but there are other sites. Also use the notification emails to let you know if a place meets your criteria. Cheers

Eg, you can try and knock down the price here a bit:

https://www.property...chelsea-village

If you can afford 1700 psf, this will be close to your budget..

460m to PP MRT. Very quiet neighbourhood. 

Wind30 and Beregond praised this

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:48 PM

Lms822
  • Lms822
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Not really bro. Units there are less than 30 years and you have to keep a lookout. Remember there's West Coast i.e. Farrer, and Clementi or next Ginza Plaza and there's West Coast near Pasir Panjang MRT, such as Jambol area.

Looking at the last transacted prices, you can get something under 3mil. 

Eg previously the owner of no 9 Jambol Place was asking 2.85mil for his 1616 sq feet unit. 200m to the MRT, quiet and three stories.. there will be shops at the Bijou condo, and across the road is the new PSA building, with stores inside. 1 train stop from ARC, 3 stops from Vivo (where there's a library), and NTUC Extra coming up.

No one will give you a free pass bro, you have to look out for deals... and be prepared to have your check ready at the first viewing. Yes, you heard me right. One shot, one kill. Sometimes that's how it rolls. 

So do your financial homework first. If you are still shooting the breeze, you may miss some units.

Eg, in the third quarter of 2018, a Ming Teck Park unit was sold for 2.8mil. Facing greenery, and 1800 sq ft. How's that. 1km to Henry Park too.

But now it's gone. Different times, different prices.. 

I didn't like Cashew.. so try West Coast bro... you set the cap and budget limits.. so you get what you pay for..

An extensive reno can run into >300k. Not A&A which costs more, and a rebuild will cost 600k and up, when you find a nice place, I can share a good contractor with you.

Do your homework, that's my suggestion, and honestly, you are a little behind the game... prices have consolidated a bit.

2017 to 2018 first half was a much better time to shop... but don't get disheartened, there are still nice places. 

The thing about landed is that you have to look, ask for non-listed units, don't just look at Prop guru, but there are other sites. Also use the notification emails to let you know if a place meets your criteria. Cheers

Eg, you can try and knock down the price here a bit:

https://www.property...chelsea-village

If you can afford 1700 psf, this will be close to your budget..

460m to PP MRT. Very quiet neighbourhood. 

very informative, thanks a lot!  are you an agent?  [laugh]

I looking at below 3mil landed, not that I can afford 1700 psf.  :grin:

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:48 PM

grandis123
  • grandis123
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I am quite surprised that TS is looking between lentor and Cashew which are so far apart. It is hard to find someone how is familiar in both estates to do a fair comparison. 

To me, the family and school factor trumps everything. I was planning to send my kid to Rosyth because we are old boy/girl. Also needs to be close to in laws to take care of kids. 

Maybe TS prefers one location and the wife prefers the other one.

I used to stay in Kovan area nearer to town. There is a nice park which I exercise there often. I used to see people trading items like rolex watches, Phones, etc. They will drive their Mercedes, Porsche and meet there. (Sounds familiar)

I just move near Lentor, quieter but further from my workplace. Wife wants to move because nearer to St Nicholas and also price cheaper than Kovan/Charlton. 

PSP415 praised this

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:52 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

very informative, thanks a lot! are you an agent? [laugh]

I looking at below 3mil landed, not that I can afford 1700 psf. :grin:

Nope..
I wish you all the best in your hunt. Do share what you finally decide on. Cheers

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

Wind30
  • Wind30
    Supercharged
    Author Image

I used to stay in Kovan area nearer to town. There is a nice park which I exercise there often. I used to see people trading items like rolex watches, Phones, etc. They will drive their Mercedes, Porsche and meet there. (Sounds familiar)

I just move near Lentor, quieter but further from my workplace. Wife wants to move because nearer to St Nicholas and also price cheaper than Kovan/Charlton.

Lentor estate itself or somewhere near it? Thomson hills is near st Nicholas. My mum stays there :) so I am stuck in this area. I do prefer Lentor more than Thomson hills as I feel it is less messy. Thomson hill can get a bigger place though for similar price.

I personally don’t like Kovan. Getting to the expressway looks tough, busy roads. I think if u drive, the time it takes to reach the expressway is impt so I am not sure if it is actually nearer to town in terms of time.

Edited by Wind30, 25 April 2019 - 06:03 PM.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:04 PM

Lms822
  • Lms822
    1st Gear
    Author Image

We started at our affordability for landed, Lentor and Cashew pops out. Other areas also popped out but we don’t like those areas.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

Wind30
  • Wind30
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Ouch. Reading these comments made me feel bad about living in Cashew lol.

I personally have not encountered any bad traffic jams in the morning or after work.

Anyway I thought that place was fairly cheap and can get decent sized detached or bungalows without breaking the bank. Lots of space for big gardens and for my kids to run around too.

I never say anything bad about cashew. Never visited there :)

I think house location is very subjective. Depends on each family.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

Lms822
  • Lms822
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Nope..
I wish you all the best in your hunt. Do share what you finally decide on. Cheers

Will need your expertise if possible

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:12 PM

Wind30
  • Wind30
    Supercharged
    Author Image

We started at our affordability for landed, Lentor and Cashew pops out. Other areas also popped out but we don’t like those areas.

Another thing that is very impt is neighbour. Might not be so obvious as u think neighbour can change.... in my estate, both my in-laws place and my place, our closest 4 neighbours has not changed in the past 10 years ever since I moved in.

I did not checked out my 2 next door neighbour before buying but they turned out to be the quiet sort. No teenage kids, no parties, small family. No parking quarrels. To be frank another part of countryside has a neighbour quarrel that went on newspaper many years back....

But we are also model resident. Always park in garage. Small family, Super quiet, Super clean.

Edited by Wind30, 25 April 2019 - 06:15 PM.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:22 PM

Lms822
  • Lms822
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Another thing that is very impt is neighbour. Might not be so obvious as u think neighbour can change.... in my estate, both my in-laws place and my place, our closest 4 neighbours has not changed in the past 10 years ever since I moved in.

I did not checked out my 2 next door neighbour before buying but they turned out to be the quiet sort. No teenage kids, no parties, small family. No parking quarrels. To be frank another part of countryside has a neighbour quarrel that went on newspaper many years back....

But we are also model resident. Always park in garage. Small family, Super quiet, Super clean.

Sure lah park in own car porch since so long 😬

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

As mentioned in the topic title, which place is the better choice in term of:

1. Privilege
2. Capital appreciation
3. Accessibility

TS If you have narrowed down to only these two areas , you might have difficulties finding what you want. Some of the basic landed considerations are layout, interior, land size, build up, facing , rooms , toilets , whether cul de sac or other preference etc, more challenging is if you have certain budget. Unless you have the time and financial power to rebuild, otherwise be prepared to spend up to a year or more to find one that you like. the other consideration, if you find a unit that you like, likelihood many other potential buyers would be eyeing as well, so when you find what you like, dont procrastinate for too long before the unit is gone.  sharing my experience.  good luck. 

Edited by Ct3833, 25 April 2019 - 09:09 PM.

Volvobrick praised this

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Will need your expertise if possible

Maybe you can pick some random units on sale at prop guru and then comment what you like about it. Then maybe some folks here can chip in a give further advice.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:22 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

TS If you have narrowed down to only these two areas , you might have difficulties finding what you want. Some of the basic landed considerations are layout, interior, land size, build up, facing , rooms , toilets , whether cul de sac or other preference etc, more challenging is if you have certain budget. Unless you have the time and financial power to rebuild, otherwise be prepared to spend up to a year or more to find one that you like. the other consideration, if you find a unit that you like, likelihood many other potential buyers would be eyeing as well, so when you find what you like, dont procrastinate for too long before the unit is gone.  sharing my experience.  good luck. 

Will you consider a cul de sac  better or worse bro?

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:44 PM

Lms822
  • Lms822
    1st Gear
    Author Image

TS If you have narrowed down to only these two areas , you might have difficulties finding what you want. Some of the basic landed considerations are layout, interior, land size, build up, facing , rooms , toilets , whether cul de sac or other preference etc, more challenging is if you have certain budget. Unless you have the time and financial power to rebuild, otherwise be prepared to spend up to a year or more to find one that you like. the other consideration, if you find a unit that you like, likelihood many other potential buyers would be eyeing as well, so when you find what you like, dont procrastinate for too long before the unit is gone. sharing my experience. good luck.

Very valuable tips, thanks!

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:57 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Will you consider a cul de sac  better or worse bro?

for landed i think it is better, because less car movement, more privacy. 

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:10 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

very informative, thanks a lot!  are you an agent?  [laugh]

I looking at below 3mil landed, not that I can afford 1700 psf.  :grin:

the two areas you mentioned could find slightly below 3m but too far below wont be in decent move in condition. in fact most 2.5 m below will not be in move in condition without a major reno. You should  get as many agents as possible and pass them your requirement, they will feed you with rubbish selection but at least you can filter it yourself accordingly.  There is no need to entertain every offer for viewing, but the more you view the more you will be familiar with landed.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:22 PM

PSP415
  • PSP415
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I agree. This is often overlooked or undermined.

A friend shared how he bot a house near Upp Thomson a few years back. Did not see neighbours when viewed house twice. Seemed quiet at both times.

Moved in. Got a shock when human faeces thrown over a common wall into car pouch area. This takes place a few times a week. Went over to confront. Old lady very fierce, say my friend and wifey too noisy, disturbed her sleep etc. Their bedroom is not near the entrance ya.

Friend and wifey only occupants in house. No kids then. Go out early to work, come home late. No lion dance type of noise. They so tired, just shower and then go sleep, he say what noise?

Then knives of all sizes hung from neighbour's side greeted them one morning. Really alot of knives.

They waited and saw a man who looked like that woman's son. Asked him why throw faeces over and hang knives. Answer? Not happy, move out.😑

Needless to say, he told me a new house how nice once got this type of mentally challenged neighbours no use. No peace.

He sold the place and made some losses. He say bopian. Wifey v stressed and fearful. Every day go out must tiptoe. Come back must tiptoe. Car cannot parked inside car pouch, must be outside otherwise kena faeces.

So yes. Pls check health of neighbours 😅. Good to ask around if can otherwise pray v hard.

Just sharing.

Safe ride
Cheers

Edited by PSP415, 25 April 2019 - 11:25 PM.

Mercs, Theoldjaffa, Sdf4786k, sake and Carbon82 praised this

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:44 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

cashew too many Microwave station if u know what I mean

F17A1582-2FD3-4ABF-BB23-6CB0B59F80AF.jpeg
--------------------------------------------
Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with those who don't have it.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:52 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Yep

- sun direction

- developer matters too

- neighbours

- visit the location at different times - if you go over a weekend it's usually quiet and the traffic is light

- amenities eg market, food places, 24 grocer, petrol station, postbox

- near work

- near polyclinic or GP

- MRT, bus etc to work

- wind

- the interior of the place, can you salvage the parquet floor for example

- plot ratio and GFA

- zoning and potential developments of the area

- cul de sac 

- land size, is it square or narrow, can you expand the built up area? (remember to account for set back if you do more than A&A)

- TV reception

- is there a fibre / home line (will cost $288 to run a new fibre line for example)

- soil analysis - is it reclaim land

- fengshui : water, wind and mountains etc

- at a junction

- noise level in the neighbourhood

- any new developments - renovations or reconstruction can continue for years around the place

- is there going to be enbloc or a new road running through the area

- if the homes near you are going to be replaced by flats, the roads can be much busier

- parking

- flooding / ponding

- any religious building around you eg illegal parking during peak periods and noise levels 

Edited by therock, 25 April 2019 - 11:52 PM.

Ct3833 and Freeder praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:08 AM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Yep
- developer matters too
- neighbours
- visit the location at different times - if you go over a weekend it's usually quiet and the traffic is light
- amenities eg market, food places, 24 grocer, petrol station, postbox
- near work
- near polyclinic or GP
- MRT, bus etc to work
- wind
- the interior of the place, can you salvage the parquet floor for example
- plot ratio and GFA
- zoning and potential developments of the area
- cul de sac
- land size, is it square or narrow, can you expand the built up area? (remember to account for set back if you do more than A&A)
- TV reception
- is there a fibre / home line (will cost $288 to run a new fibre line for example)
- soil analysis - is it reclaim land
- fengshui : water, wind and mountains etc
- at a junction
- noise level in the neighbourhood
- any new developments - renovations or reconstruction can continue for years around the place
- is there going to be enbloc or a new road running through the area
- if the homes near you are going to be replaced by flats, the roads can be much busier
- parking
- flooding / ponding
- any religious building around you eg illegal parking during peak periods and noise levels

师父大人万岁,万万岁!when I strike toto , before I upgrade my house I will ask for your help.

Good stuff.

Edited by Ct3833, 26 April 2019 - 12:09 AM.

Back to Property Buzz  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users