• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
61 replies to this topic | 235 praises

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:18 PM

jonbaekis00
  • jonbaekis00
    Clutched
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi all, if you saw my thread about 6 months ago, i drive a '10 Lexus GS450h (s190)

car is about 8.5 years old now , but a nightmare happened.....

i was stuck in a Jam on the way back from Johor at CIQ. Engine produces diesel like clattering noise. no problem driving yet with no engine light whatsoever.

Next, white smoke from exhaust, did not notice any rising temperature levels.

After clearing passport, car engine shuts off, the engine still starts , but Temperature level rises to H and does not accelerate.

(worst place to have a breakdown, $500 sgd to tow back to sg.....)

Workshop diagnosis still not clear, engine taken down from car but yet to open up engine 

6 cylinders, only 2 cylinders have normal compression ratio, 1 is completely dead, the remaining 3 are very weak...

predicted repair sum they mentioned was upwards of $5k, but no promise that it will not be higher.

if Scrapping the car is not an option, how would you repair it?

workshop suggested overhaul or new engine ( from scrapyard, if there is any in the first place)

any knowledgeable people able to advise on this issue ?? from replacement engine availability , price, any past experiences with similar cars...

I did not have predicted a LEXUS to give me 2 big big problems with less than a year on owning...... maybe conti more common but can't find any info regarding present issue on internet...

leaving scrapping out, i dont think anyone would wanna spend a fortune on a car with less than 2years coe left....

quotations from workshops that are able to repair at the cheapest possible rates are appreciated too....

your help and advice are deeply appreciated........

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:35 PM

Blueray
  • Blueray
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

what is the mileage and was it serviced regularly.

parts can maybe enquire with Propel Autoparts or Kheng Keng Auto ?

focus

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

t0y0ta
  • t0y0ta
    6th Gear
    Author Image

This is worst case scenario for near EOL car.

My suggestion is scrap.

SG workshops are seldom skilfull enough for this type of big repair and they will charge big time to compensate for the huge effort they will need to repair this.

Furthermore, this is not just a V6 engine issue, yours still have 2 electric motors tethered with a battery system. One problem may lead to another.

So it is either throwing money down the hole or choosing to walk away.

I would walk away, as you may throw 5-10k into it and still end up with an undrivable car.

BanCoe and Mercury1 praised this

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:15 PM

awhtc
  • awhtc
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I suggest to scrap the aging Lexus and buy a new Vios, which is more reliable than a Lexus  ^_^  On a more serious note, even if the petrol engine is repaired there is an aging hybrid system.  The previous owner may not have taken care of the car well.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:16 PM

Lordmazex
  • Premium member
    Lordmazex
    4th Gear
    Author Image

just scrap and get a new car, since it is nearing end of COE

Edited by Lordmazex, 25 April 2019 - 09:16 PM.

Narrow minded people generally condemn what is beyond their comprehension

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:19 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

white smoke = water burning, most likely engine head gasket leaking coolant.

after the coolant is gone, engine overheats.

if you want to try a cheap solution, although no guarantee, it's sodium silicate

https://www.wikihow....th-Liquid-Glass

Edited by Kb27, 25 April 2019 - 09:25 PM.

Jamesc, Jeffc and Datsun366 praised this

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:32 PM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

My suggestion is scrap.

SG workshops are seldom skilfull enough for this type of big repair and they will charge big time to compensate for the huge effort they will need to repair this.

Furthermore, this is not just a V6 engine issue, yours still have 2 electric motors tethered with a battery system. One problem may lead to another.

I would walk away, as you may throw 5-10k into it and still end up with an undrivable car.

Yah. Agree. Scrap and buy something else. No point waiting for the repairs which might turn out rubbish. Then time, frustration and money is lost

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:39 PM

Fu11thr0tt1e
  • Premium member
    Fu11thr0tt1e
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

I would suggest u scrap and move on.
Mercs, Inlinefour, Uncle2 and Carbon82 praised this

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:41 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Previous owner never care for the car properly.

Did you send the car for a full service and check after you bought it? If never, please do so for the next used car you buy.

Take the cheaper route of the two - amount of money lost by scrapping vs the repair cost.
RH1667, PSP415, Ichibawa and Buadongdong praised this
--------------------------------------------
Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with those who don't have it.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:55 PM

Mahjong74
  • Premium member
    Mahjong74
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Hi all, if you saw my thread about 6 months ago, i drive a '10 Lexus GS450h (s190)

i was stuck in a Jam on the way back from Johor at CIQ. Engine produces diesel like clattering noise. no problem driving yet with no engine light whatsoever.

After clearing passport, car engine shuts off, the engine still starts , but Temperature level rises to H and does not accelerate.

Workshop diagnosis still not clear, engine taken down from car but yet to open up engine 

6 cylinders, only 2 cylinders have normal compression ratio, 1 is completely dead, the remaining 3 are very weak...

predicted repair sum they mentioned was upwards of $5k, but no promise that it will not be higher.

workshop suggested overhaul or new engine ( from scrapyard, if there is any in the first place)

any knowledgeable people able to advise on this issue ?? from replacement engine availability , price, any past experiences with similar cars...

I did not have predicted a LEXUS to give me 2 big big problems with less than a year on owning...... maybe conti more common but can't find any info regarding present issue on internet...

leaving scrapping out, i dont think anyone would wanna spend a fortune on a car with less than 2years coe left....

quotations from workshops that are able to repair at the cheapest possible rates are appreciated too....

Later I PM you a workshop for repair. The boss very friendly and honest.

You just tell him to repair at the cheapest method that the car able to drive will do. 

But he may tell you no guarantee on how long the car can last. 

Tried him before for my 9 years old car. Rather cheap compare to others. 

PSP415, BanCoe and Tianmo praised this

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:06 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

How can a car starts to overheat and not shown on console panel?

This is beyond me.

Edited by Hamburger, 25 April 2019 - 10:10 PM.

do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:11 PM

jonbaekis00
  • jonbaekis00
    Clutched
    Author Image

Previous owner never care for the car properly.

Did you send the car for a full service and check after you bought it? If never, please do so for the next used car you buy.

Take the cheaper route of the two - amount of money lost by scrapping vs the repair cost.

Thank you all for speedy replies and advice !! really appreciate. as for the hybrid systems mentioned above, i have replaced the hybrid battery about 6 months ago........ maybe shunt have gotten hybrid in the first place 

i did send it to a workshop i know for inspection, they told me car still good. 

but why the engine overheated was because of radiator cap rubber worn and then coolant gone from there....

funny,,, my friends audi bmw mere all has lesser problems than my lexus !! at least have also not so ex...

such a pain in the ass when i got a lexus because i was afraid of breakdowns and issues like these thats why chose lexus over conti.... 

as for scrapping will consider... next car definitely getting vios altis this kind !! :((

but no one with any previous experience ? 

How can a car starts to overheat and not shown on cpnsole panel?

This is beyond me.

Sian... only showed after i restarted the car .........

only if it showed it was overheating... i dont think this would have happened...

what is the mileage and was it serviced regularly.

parts can maybe enquire with Propel Autoparts or Kheng Keng Auto ?

enquiring w kk now ... 

i serviced every 10k after getting it.. prev owner i dunno.. 

mileage about 140k km

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:11 PM

Odyssey2011
  • Odyssey2011
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Well, i think no car is immortal, some Toyota maybe indestructible, but not all. Believe it or not, my company fleet of Toyota are over 200k mileage, some above 300k mileage, all still working fine by some basic maintenance and regular servicing, never has an engine blown issue.

I am not a car expert, but i think how was that GS maintained by pre-owner does matter. It will be a bet to repair, but the $5k repair don't seem too much, and most Toyota problem should be repairable, at least easier and less labor than Conti cars. Premium Conti car engine overhaul could be much more than $5k, a new engine replacement could be many many times more. Also, finding good mechanics who are familiar with Toyota (or Lexus) is not difficult, car equipment configuration and diagnostic repair are very similar for both.

Edited by Odyssey2011, 25 April 2019 - 10:25 PM.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:13 PM

jonbaekis00
  • jonbaekis00
    Clutched
    Author Image

Well, i think no car is immortal, some Toyota maybe indestructible, but not all. Believe it or not, my company fleet of Toyota are over 200k mileage, some above 300k mileage, all still working fine by some basic maintenance and regular servicing, never has an engine blown issue.

I am not a car expert, but i think how was that GS maintained by pre-owner does matter. It will be a bet to repair, but the $5k repair don't seem too much, and most Toyota problem should be repairable, at least easier and less labor than Conti cars. Premium Conti car engine overhaul could be much more than $5k, a new engine replacement could be many many times more. 

all the people i know driving lexus... car 200k+ mileage still good and running well....

but any idea of replacing whole engine in sg vs overhaul??

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:15 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thank you all for speedy replies and advice !! really appreciate. as for the hybrid systems mentioned above, i have replaced the hybrid battery about 6 months ago........ maybe shunt have gotten hybrid in the first place

i did send it to a workshop i know for inspection, they told me car still good.

but why the engine overheated was because of radiator cap rubber worn and then coolant gone from there....

funny,,, my friends audi bmw mere all has lesser problems than my lexus !! at least have also not so ex...

such a pain in the ass when i got a lexus because i was afraid of breakdowns and issues like these thats why chose lexus over conti....

as for scrapping will consider... next car definitely getting vios altis this kind !! :((

but no one with any previous experience ?

Sian... only showed after i restarted the car .........

only if it showed it was overheating... i dont think this would have happened...

TBH this radiator cap rubber worn, leading to coolant leak, can happen to any car.

I open my bonnet at least once a week to look see and check for water and coolant levels and my car is only 2.4 years old. I've already topped up water in the coolant reservoir once when it fell to MIN level.

Don't assume just because it's a Lexus, things won't wear down. It's 8.5 years old. Every car will have wear and tear due to use and old age.

Just like Even a fit runner can collapse due to cardiac arrest without any prior symptoms.

So another pro tip: open ur bonnet regularly 😉
Mercs, Count-Bracula and Beregond praised this
Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with those who don't have it.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:17 PM

Blueray
  • Blueray
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

enquiring w kk now ... 

i serviced every 10k after getting it.. prev owner i dunno.. 

mileage about 140k km

my suspicion is the previous owner did not do regular servicing ... hence all the issues at this juncture.

during servicing mechanics will routinely check the wear and tear items as well and advise on replacement.

focus

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:22 PM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Coming from a previous owner of a gs450h...... Scrap and cut loss.

noted that you already spent some dough on hybrid battery replacement just a few months ago....oh well, it is a huge gamble throwing further money into this especially when your hybrid system (not the battery) is a rolling time bomb.

Circles Life Referral Code: HTWWD

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:23 PM

jonbaekis00
  • jonbaekis00
    Clutched
    Author Image

My suggestion is scrap.

i see your advice... makes sense .. if another problem comes up it will be another big pain..

as for this case if wanna scrap is it advisable to claim total loss of car with insurance ?

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:27 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

as for this case if wanna scrap is it advisable to claim total loss of car with insurance ?

A99B3F74-0FEB-4227-BAA0-92FD2939A889.png

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:30 PM

Mahjong74
  • Premium member
    Mahjong74
    Supercharged
    Author Image

but why the engine overheated was because of radiator cap rubber worn and then coolant gone from there....

This is normal wear and tear. But need to spot it earlier, if not will caused big problem. 

Lucky my car mechanic spotted this on my old car and auto change for me. 

Used my mechanic for servicing for > 10 years. He will auto check and auto change for me parts that 

wear and tear.

Including testing the voltage of my car battery. If battery too weak, he will informed me and auto change for me since we are old friends. 

Edited by Mahjong74, 25 April 2019 - 10:31 PM.

Yewheng praised this

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:33 PM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I think he meant driving his car into a longkang or something and claim total loss from his insurance? :D

Circles Life Referral Code: HTWWD

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:39 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I think he meant driving his car into a longkang or something and claim total loss from his insurance? :D

I'm completely mind blown.

Maybe I should claim insurance for my brain since it's blown now.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:40 PM

Freeder
  • Premium member
    Freeder
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

all the people i know driving lexus... car 200k+ mileage still good and running well....

but any idea of replacing whole engine in sg vs overhaul??

Bro, u wait for the next 2 days.. I asking my frd see whether Jipoon got any scrap car of the same model?
Will update u ASAP..
Theoldjaffa, Fuelsaver and Uncle2 praised this
I'm always learning how to drive...

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:52 PM

Kopites
  • Kopites
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

TS car lost in Malaysia?

so sorry to help.😀

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:54 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

TS car lost in Malaysia?

so sorry to help.ð

Don't give ideas that will make all our insurance premiums go up because of fraudulent claims hor 😆
Kopites praised this

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:03 PM

Kopites
  • Kopites
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Don't give ideas that will make all our insurance premiums go up because of fraudulent claims hor ð

I didn't start it.

Can we claim against our own insurance for repair? I mean pay excess..spread the repair cost over next few years of increased premium. 😆

Edited by Kopites, 25 April 2019 - 11:04 PM.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I know of a woman friend who drove over a rock big enough to kaput the engine base and the repair bill was hefty since all was done at agent.

Claimed insurance.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:11 PM

jonbaekis00
  • jonbaekis00
    Clutched
    Author Image

I didn't start it.

Can we claim against our own insurance for repair? I mean pay excess..spread the repair cost over next few years of increased premium. 😆

i guess not worth  [:p] if possible at all

Bro, u wait for the next 2 days.. I asking my frd see whether Jipoon got any scrap car of the same model?
Will update u ASAP..

okok,,, thanks,, all i can do is wait car is dead 

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:37 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Seriously bro, my advice is one time pain and scrap it if overhaul is on the card.

Engine swap is an option but would need to pay silly money for xpert to rewrite the engine number, not to mention it is frowned by white ants.

There are just too many unwarrant risks involved.

Edited by Hamburger, 25 April 2019 - 11:37 PM.

Volvobrick and Carbon82 praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:06 AM

Kopites
  • Kopites
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I also serious..

only if you plan to renew coe otherwise scrap it. Cut the lost. You won't know in month times other problems might start to surface.
Volvobrick praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:15 AM

Invigorated
  • Invigorated
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I also serious..

only if you plan to renew coe otherwise scrap it. Cut the lost. You won't know in month times other problems might start to surface.

Honestly with only 1.5 years left, I'll go with what many have suggested too, have to move on. Spending more than 5k for something that may involve even more significant repair work doesn't seem like a good choice. Do get a few more workshops to give you a second opinion but the honest ones will probably tell you to move on too.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

Beregond
  • Premium member
    Beregond
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

all car will overheat including lexus.

esp a 8.5 year old car. ( esp if buy used)

(we assume the car got no overheat history or overhaul b4)

a small upper hose or lower hose slowly leak ( very common problem )

radiator fan stop work, esp at traffic jam.

normally over heat is very cheap and easy to fix, as long as the engine dun blow.

mean u see overheat u need to stop engine at once

normally b4 overheat your AC  will turn hot, 

a 8.5 years old car if engine blow, when ws quote u engine replacement

(normally its used engine , no 1 will quote u new engine unless AD )

and i would say no ws can give u an accurate quote on how much to repair/overhaul without even opening up the engine.

for ts case i feel if really 5-6k can fix the issue, its very cheap.

but take note, overhaul they need to skim your engine head, the compression will no longer be same.

even if operation is successful, high chance the car will feel differently, maybe less power, engine louder, consume oil n water faster.

no ws will give u money back guarantee for overhaul

(like u still need pay doctor money even if they cannot cure u )

PSP415, Theoldjaffa and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

FYI the term "engine blown" means the head gasket gave way and coolant entered some of the combustion chamber. As water cannot be compressed hence one cylinder shows nothing(means is flooded) and some others are weak (slightly flooded). Head gasket gave way is common wear and tear for ANY old car. Even for a 8.5 yo Lexus. Your comments shows how much you know about cars. I suspect this is your first car. Ppl change car after 5 years becos they dont want to deal with all these.

Although the head gasket kit cost little it's the cleaning up of the engine that requires a lot of labour. That is called engine overhaul, engine taken apart for cleaning cos coolant entered the combustion chambers and also mixed with the engine oil, it's a mess in there. You are mostly paying for labour. Ppl quoted you labour cost, parts prices have yet to factor in.

Engine overheat may cause damage to other parts and seals. If workshop is good they will replace all the seal kits in the engine. That's why it's a good practice to monitor your coolant and oil levels. The coolant temp on display is temperature at the radiator thermostat but not other areas of the cooling system. When it shows something is wrong it's too late.

The problem for you now is what to do next.  Coe prices will continue to rise in the coming months cos they already announce cutting quota. What you can do is either scrap the Lexus and lease a car first until signs of quota increase/coe prices decrease, you get a new car OR do the overhaul. Overhaul takes a lot of time. You also need to lease a car first. You are going to spend renewing coe or get another new/used car anyway. Question is where you are going to spend it on.

Good luck.

Edited by Watwheels, 26 April 2019 - 08:55 AM.

Kopites, PSP415 and 1 Anonymous member praised this
Feel so rich. Or just an illusion?

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:05 AM

Kopites
  • Kopites
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

FYI the term "engine blown" means the head gasket gave way and coolant entered some of the combustion chamber. As water cannot be compressed hence one cylinder shows nothing(means is flooded) and some others are weak (slightly flooded). Head gasket gave way is common wear and tear for ANY old car. Even for a 8.5 yo Lexus. Your comments shows how much you know about cars. I suspect this is your first car. Ppl change car after 5 years becos they dont want to deal with all these.

Although the head gasket kit cost little it's the cleaning up of the engine that requires a lot of labour. That is called engine overhaul, engine taken apart for cleaning cos coolant entered the combustion chambers and also mixed with the engine oil, it's a mess in there. You are mostly paying for labour. Ppl quoted you labour cost, parts prices have yet to factor in.

Engine overheat may cause damage to other parts and seals. If workshop is good they will replace all the seal kits in the engine. That's why it's a good practice to monitor your coolant and oil levels. The coolant temp on display is temperature at the radiator thermostat but not other areas of the cooling system. When it shows something is wrong it's too late.

The problem for you now is what to do next. Coe prices will continue to rise in the coming months cos they already announce cutting quota. What you can do is either scrap the Lexus and lease a car first until signs of quota increase/coe prices decrease, you get a new car OR do the overhaul. Overhaul takes a lot of time. You also need to lease a car first. You are going to spend renewing coe or get another new/used car anyway. Question is where you are going to spend it on.

Good luck.

if regular maintenance 10 years shouldnt be a problem. your 5 years..not many here as wealthy as you.😀

issue is TS have no idea the maintenance history pior to his ownership.

Edited by Kopites, 26 April 2019 - 09:06 AM.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

if regular maintenance 10 years shouldnt be a problem. your 5 years..not many here as wealthy as you.😀

Seals for either water or oil will not last forever. They are made of rubber. It degrades over time. More degrading if exposed to excessive heat.

For Japanese cars they like to use those steel radiator cap with rubber seals. That one every few years it's a must change/replace. Conti cars dont have. The plastic pressure cap is on the coolant reservoir. It has no rubber seal.

Oil leaks or Coolant leaks must be address quickly to prevent engine from overheating. Oil leak is slow still not so bad but coolant leak is a lot faster. Must fix the leak fast. Engine overheat has a ripple effect causing other parts/seals to fail earlier.

It's not about wealth but when it comes to moving parts, electrical hardness, seals and etc will degrade over time. Replacing them also require a lot of money and down time. New car not say no issue but at least you have less to deal with and less down time. What you are getting is newer technology and improved parts with reliability.

Edited by Watwheels, 26 April 2019 - 09:28 AM.

Feel so rich. Or just an illusion?

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:39 AM

Odyssey2011
  • Odyssey2011
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

for ts case i feel if really 5-6k can fix the issue, its very cheap.

but take note, overhaul they need to skim your engine head, the compression will no longer be same.

even if operation is successful, high chance the car will feel differently, maybe less power, engine louder, consume oil n water faster.

I feel the same like you that the $5k bill is not expensive....relative compare with 3.5L V6 road tax annually cost over $3000  alone already. 

Beregond and Blueray praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:42 AM

Leo72
  • Leo72
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Seriously bro, my advice is one time pain and scrap it if overhaul is on the card.

Engine swap is an option but would need to pay silly money for xpert to rewrite the engine number, not to mention it is frowned by white ants.

There are just too many unwarrant risks involved.

Legal replacing of Engine is allow by LTA but must meet their rules and requirements.

Tailgater and road hogger, please stay away from me. Queue cutter, please cut queue behind me.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:58 AM

awhtc
  • awhtc
    5th Gear
    Author Image

You can replace with a good 2nd hand engine and renew the COE for next 10 years using the April PQP.

If not, just get a black Vios.  It is much lighter on the wallet and zippy on the street, and more importantly - much more reliable than a Lexus GS  :D

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:22 AM

Beregond
  • Premium member
    Beregond
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

You can replace with a good 2nd hand engine and renew the COE for next 10 years using the April PQP.

If not, just get a black Vios.  It is much lighter on the wallet and zippy on the street, and more importantly - much more reliable than a Lexus GS  :D

the feeling of driving a gs450 and a vios is sky and heaven leh .

once u go the road of luxury/big car for a few years , very hard to turn back ........

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:25 AM

Freeder
  • Premium member
    Freeder
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i guess not worth [:p] if possible at all

okok,,, thanks,, all i can do is wait car is dead

Bro, pls check your PM and reply me ASAP.
Thanks.
I'm always learning how to drive...

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

awhtc
  • awhtc
    5th Gear
    Author Image

the feeling of driving a gs450 and a vios is sky and heaven leh .

once u go the road of luxury/big car for a few years , very hard to turn back ........

Once you go black (Vios), you will not go back  [grin]  Dragging an overheating engine through a long jam might have damaged other parts of the car, hence they may start giving up one by one.  One needs to have deep pocket to prepare for this  [sweatdrop]

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:08 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

you must have reasons why scrap is not an option but you may really need to scrap it after exhausting  various  the options.  I hope you have a better way out. 

Whether you will scrap it or not, you should ask a workshop to open up the engine block to be more certain  of the extent of the damage and the potential repair cost. That would give you a better assessment if you want to continue repairing it. and with that you have two options:

1. repair with a more assured repair cost after the engine is opened up.

2. if the repair cost is too high, or the mechanic still tells you the repeat repair or other repair complication might still set in, then you can decide to scrap the car even with the engine block uncovered.  

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Legal replacing of Engine is allow by LTA but must meet their rules and requirements.

the procedures and paper work are gonna be hell.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

Beregond
  • Premium member
    Beregond
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

the procedures and paper work are gonna be hell.

u replace new engine then will go through that .

exactly why used engine they change the engine number only,

(not worth the time n trouble )

incase some bro dun know, its not legal and not many ppl do that nowsaday .

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:18 PM

jonbaekis00
  • jonbaekis00
    Clutched
    Author Image

i guess the main option everyone is suggesting is to scrap......

if i dont scrap im having a gamble as to not worrying the car of having any problems in the remaining time.

as for the vios, am really considering vios, although the car will not be as comfortable.. at least bigger boot and cheaper to repair !!

plus car road tax due..

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:51 PM

Evillusion
  • Premium member
    Evillusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

top overhaul is cheaper than total overhaul. TS symptoms sounds like a blown head gasket.....my friend did hers (Verna) in SG and kena carrot....3k, i did mine in jb cost me slightly over rm1200, change top gasket, valve seal (rubber hardened liao), lapped the valve seat and decarbonised. Now running fine for the past 1.5 yrs but with a bit of higher fc than before.
Together We stand Alone

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:57 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

top overhaul is cheaper than total overhaul. TS symptoms sounds like a blown head gasket.....my friend did hers (Verna) in SG and kena carrot....3k, i did mine in jb cost me slightly over rm1200, change top gasket, valve seal (rubber hardened liao), lapped the valve seat and decarbonised. Now running fine for the past 1.5 yrs but with a bit of higher fc than before.

It was mentioned that 2 cylinders lost compression so that's not good. Something has given way. Cranked piston ring?

It is imperative that once an overheat is detected, stop immediately and dont even crank it to make any worse than it is.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:13 PM

Evillusion
  • Premium member
    Evillusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

It was mentioned that 2 cylinders lost compression so that's not good. Something has given way. Cranked piston ring?

It is imperative that once an overheat is detected, stop immediately and dont even crank it to make any worse than it is.

can be head gasket cracked and leaked at those affected pistons. Mine was from a single piston and was shown the trail of the leak which allowed combustion gas to escape into the cooling system and vented into the radiator. But i did forced the engine to start when the temperature had lowered to normal......usually cars have a safety mechanism that disallow the engine to be cranked when the coolant temperature is too high........
Together We stand Alone

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:44 AM

jonbaekis00
  • jonbaekis00
    Clutched
    Author Image

can be head gasket cracked and leaked at those affected pistons. Mine was from a single piston and was shown the trail of the leak which allowed combustion gas to escape into the cooling system and vented into the radiator. But i did forced the engine to start when the temperature had lowered to normal......usually cars have a safety mechanism that disallow the engine to be cranked when the coolant temperature is too high........

the lexus doesn't, it still can crank but will shut off soon after,,,,

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:55 AM

Evillusion
  • Premium member
    Evillusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

the lexus doesn't, it still can crank but will shut off soon after,,,,

my cheap car cant crank when the coolant temp reached a certain temperature...usually just before the temperature's redline. Can only starts when the temperature goes down below 90....the car's manual say this is to prevent damage to the engine.
Volvobrick praised this
Together We stand Alone

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Hanip Automobiles Pte Ltd

Hanip Automobiles Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Dhrita  |  Neutral Newbie

I was looking for a workshop to overhaul my 10 year old Vios as I was planning to extend the COE. My car had been making some funny noises and I had been to a workshop in Malaysia to try and get it rectified. The workshop in Malaysia misdiagnosed the problem and failed to fix it. Later I found Hanip automobile through Sgcarmart and went to him to get the noise fixed.... » Read More

Hanip Automobiles Pte Ltd

Hanip Automobiles Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by fusstatic  |  Neutral Newbie

I called Hanip himself and asked if he is available at 3pm to take a look at my car. He said OK, so I made my way.. Together with wife and son. Take note: I specifically took time off from work to come at 3pm. Attended to me at 3.30pm- this I have no problem with. He did a test drive and concluded the aircon belt needs to be changed. He said he is unable to do it that d... » Read More

Related Motor Directory search on sgCarMart.com : Alliance Auto Pte Ltd, Hanip Automobiles Pte Ltd, Repair & Servicing

Quick Reply

Tags: lexus, s190, 450h, gs450h, engine and 4 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users