• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
61 replies to this topic | 235 praises

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

awhtc
  • awhtc
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

the feeling of driving a gs450 and a vios is sky and heaven leh .

once u go the road of luxury/big car for a few years , very hard to turn back ........

Once you go black (Vios), you will not go back  [grin]  Dragging an overheating engine through a long jam might have damaged other parts of the car, hence they may start giving up one by one.  One needs to have deep pocket to prepare for this  [sweatdrop]

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:08 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi all, if you saw my thread about 6 months ago, i drive a '10 Lexus GS450h (s190)

car is about 8.5 years old now , but a nightmare happened.....

i was stuck in a Jam on the way back from Johor at CIQ. Engine produces diesel like clattering noise. no problem driving yet with no engine light whatsoever.

Next, white smoke from exhaust, did not notice any rising temperature levels.

After clearing passport, car engine shuts off, the engine still starts , but Temperature level rises to H and does not accelerate.

(worst place to have a breakdown, $500 sgd to tow back to sg.....)

Workshop diagnosis still not clear, engine taken down from car but yet to open up engine 

6 cylinders, only 2 cylinders have normal compression ratio, 1 is completely dead, the remaining 3 are very weak...

predicted repair sum they mentioned was upwards of $5k, but no promise that it will not be higher.

if Scrapping the car is not an option, how would you repair it?

workshop suggested overhaul or new engine ( from scrapyard, if there is any in the first place)

any knowledgeable people able to advise on this issue ?? from replacement engine availability , price, any past experiences with similar cars...

I did not have predicted a LEXUS to give me 2 big big problems with less than a year on owning...... maybe conti more common but can't find any info regarding present issue on internet...

leaving scrapping out, i dont think anyone would wanna spend a fortune on a car with less than 2years coe left....

quotations from workshops that are able to repair at the cheapest possible rates are appreciated too....

your help and advice are deeply appreciated........

you must have reasons why scrap is not an option but you may really need to scrap it after exhausting  various  the options.  I hope you have a better way out. 

Whether you will scrap it or not, you should ask a workshop to open up the engine block to be more certain  of the extent of the damage and the potential repair cost. That would give you a better assessment if you want to continue repairing it. and with that you have two options:

1. repair with a more assured repair cost after the engine is opened up.

2. if the repair cost is too high, or the mechanic still tells you the repeat repair or other repair complication might still set in, then you can decide to scrap the car even with the engine block uncovered.  

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Legal replacing of Engine is allow by LTA but must meet their rules and requirements.

the procedures and paper work are gonna be hell.

do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

Beregond
  • Premium member
    Beregond
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

the procedures and paper work are gonna be hell.

u replace new engine then will go through that .

exactly why used engine they change the engine number only,

(not worth the time n trouble )

incase some bro dun know, its not legal and not many ppl do that nowsaday .

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:18 PM

jonbaekis00
  • jonbaekis00
    Clutched
    Author Image

i guess the main option everyone is suggesting is to scrap......

if i dont scrap im having a gamble as to not worrying the car of having any problems in the remaining time.

as for the vios, am really considering vios, although the car will not be as comfortable.. at least bigger boot and cheaper to repair !!

plus car road tax due..

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:51 PM

Evillusion
  • Premium member
    Evillusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

if regular maintenance 10 years shouldnt be a problem. your 5 years..not many here as wealthy as you.😀

issue is TS have no idea the maintenance history pior to his ownership.

top overhaul is cheaper than total overhaul. TS symptoms sounds like a blown head gasket.....my friend did hers (Verna) in SG and kena carrot....3k, i did mine in jb cost me slightly over rm1200, change top gasket, valve seal (rubber hardened liao), lapped the valve seat and decarbonised. Now running fine for the past 1.5 yrs but with a bit of higher fc than before.
Together We stand Alone

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:57 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

top overhaul is cheaper than total overhaul. TS symptoms sounds like a blown head gasket.....my friend did hers (Verna) in SG and kena carrot....3k, i did mine in jb cost me slightly over rm1200, change top gasket, valve seal (rubber hardened liao), lapped the valve seat and decarbonised. Now running fine for the past 1.5 yrs but with a bit of higher fc than before.

It was mentioned that 2 cylinders lost compression so that's not good. Something has given way. Cranked piston ring?

It is imperative that once an overheat is detected, stop immediately and dont even crank it to make any worse than it is.
do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:13 PM

Evillusion
  • Premium member
    Evillusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

It was mentioned that 2 cylinders lost compression so that's not good. Something has given way. Cranked piston ring?

It is imperative that once an overheat is detected, stop immediately and dont even crank it to make any worse than it is.

can be head gasket cracked and leaked at those affected pistons. Mine was from a single piston and was shown the trail of the leak which allowed combustion gas to escape into the cooling system and vented into the radiator. But i did forced the engine to start when the temperature had lowered to normal......usually cars have a safety mechanism that disallow the engine to be cranked when the coolant temperature is too high........
Together We stand Alone

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:44 AM

jonbaekis00
  • jonbaekis00
    Clutched
    Author Image

can be head gasket cracked and leaked at those affected pistons. Mine was from a single piston and was shown the trail of the leak which allowed combustion gas to escape into the cooling system and vented into the radiator. But i did forced the engine to start when the temperature had lowered to normal......usually cars have a safety mechanism that disallow the engine to be cranked when the coolant temperature is too high........

the lexus doesn't, it still can crank but will shut off soon after,,,,

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:55 AM

Evillusion
  • Premium member
    Evillusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

the lexus doesn't, it still can crank but will shut off soon after,,,,

my cheap car cant crank when the coolant temp reached a certain temperature...usually just before the temperature's redline. Can only starts when the temperature goes down below 90....the car's manual say this is to prevent damage to the engine.
Volvobrick praised this
Together We stand Alone

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:10 PM

Happily1986
  • Premium member
    Happily1986
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hi all, if you saw my thread about 6 months ago, i drive a '10 Lexus GS450h (s190)

car is about 8.5 years old now , but a nightmare happened.....

i was stuck in a Jam on the way back from Johor at CIQ. Engine produces diesel like clattering noise. no problem driving yet with no engine light whatsoever.

Next, white smoke from exhaust, did not notice any rising temperature levels.

After clearing passport, car engine shuts off, the engine still starts , but Temperature level rises to H and does not accelerate.

(worst place to have a breakdown, $500 sgd to tow back to sg.....)

Workshop diagnosis still not clear, engine taken down from car but yet to open up engine

6 cylinders, only 2 cylinders have normal compression ratio, 1 is completely dead, the remaining 3 are very weak...

predicted repair sum they mentioned was upwards of $5k, but no promise that it will not be higher.

if Scrapping the car is not an option, how would you repair it?

workshop suggested overhaul or new engine ( from scrapyard, if there is any in the first place)

any knowledgeable people able to advise on this issue ?? from replacement engine availability , price, any past experiences with similar cars...

I did not have predicted a LEXUS to give me 2 big big problems with less than a year on owning...... maybe conti more common but can't find any info regarding present issue on internet...

leaving scrapping out, i dont think anyone would wanna spend a fortune on a car with less than 2years coe left....

quotations from workshops that are able to repair at the cheapest possible rates are appreciated too....

your help and advice are deeply appreciated........

Based on the symptoms you have highlighted, i am of the opinion that your head gasket has blown thereby allowing coolant to leak into the combustion chamber(s).

White exhaust smoke is a sign of coolant fluid being burnt off.

Next step:

confirm whether your engine block has cracked. if the engine block has cracked, i think it will be better to scrap the car as the labour and financial cost to replace the engine block is substantial.

As your GS is a hybrid, you need to take extra care that the cooling system is working! my guess is that the Lexus Synergy Drive (Hybrid) system has been shut down to prevent damage. You can verify this by checking the energy flow in the Vehicle Energy Monitor panel.

Edited by Happily1986, 27 April 2019 - 08:24 PM.

1923 - 2015. You will be missed. Any possibility you can come back and salvage the current mess? Pretty please?

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:33 PM

Qaz20
  • Premium member
    Qaz20
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

About overheating issue. Radiator cap failure is not easy to detect.

Experience this before on a GS300.
Temp needle in car shows the normal level. But i have a separate obd meter to monitor temperature and other parameters. Was driving up genting and my meter alarms at close to 100 degs and even up to 102, but car's temp gauge still remains the same.
This alarm alerted me to check. Ended up is just a radiator cap failure. And the workshop at genting besides the esso charges me only RM40 when i was expecting to be chopped.

Do bear in mind that the car's temp gauge will only goes up under very serious condition, normally when radiator almost dried up.

So i always install a obd meter to monitor things like temp, atf temp, battery level, etc...
Blueray, t0y0ta, Kklee and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:35 PM

Odyssey2011
  • Odyssey2011
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Based on the symptoms you have highlighted, i am of the opinion that your head gasket has blown thereby allowing coolant to leak into the combustion chamber(s).

White exhaust smoke is a sign of coolant fluid being burnt off.

Next step:

confirm whether your engine block has cracked. if the engine block has cracked, i think it will be better to scrap the car as the labour and financial cost to replace the engine block is substantial.

As your GS is a hybrid, you need to take extra care that the cooling system is working! my guess is that the Lexus Synergy Drive (Hybrid) system has been shut down to prevent damage. You can verify this by checking the energy flow in the Vehicle Energy Monitor panel.

If the Engine block had cracked then highly likely due to car collision accident.

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:42 PM

Happily1986
  • Premium member
    Happily1986
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

If the Engine block had cracked then highly likely due to car collision accident.

The engine block can also crack due to heat as well

Ct3833 and Turboflat4 praised this
1923 - 2015. You will be missed. Any possibility you can come back and salvage the current mess? Pretty please?

Posted 28 April 2019 - 10:17 PM

WML888
  • Premium member
    WML888
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

i guess the main option everyone is suggesting is to scrap......

if i dont scrap im having a gamble as to not worrying the car of having any problems in the remaining time.

as for the vios, am really considering vios, although the car will not be as comfortable.. at least bigger boot and cheaper to repair !!

plus car road tax due..

Perhaps can sell the hybrid battery separately ? Instead of scrap it together with the car.

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:15 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Perhaps can sell the hybrid battery separately ? Instead of scrap it together with the car.

I think difficult lah, how to advertise ? "8.5year old hybrid battery for sale "? Who would buy ?

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:22 AM

Liquidh
  • Liquidh
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Don’t repair. Replace used GS450h engine.

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

Toeknee_33
  • Premium member
    Toeknee_33
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Like what Ct3833 advised, open up engine and assess damage before deciding what to do. If damage is severe than scrap it. If it's just an overhaul on 1 bank of the V6, can consider repairing. I somehow feel that the GR engine is quite resilient.

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:01 PM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I am surprised no warning light for low coolant level for Lexus....

Most Ang Moh cars based on my experience have it.

About overheating issue. Radiator cap failure is not easy to detect.

Experience this before on a GS300.
Temp needle in car shows the normal level. But i have a separate obd meter to monitor temperature and other parameters. Was driving up genting and my meter alarms at close to 100 degs and even up to 102, but car's temp gauge still remains the same.
This alarm alerted me to check. Ended up is just a radiator cap failure. And the workshop at genting besides the esso charges me only RM40 when i was expecting to be chopped.

Do bear in mind that the car's temp gauge will only goes up under very serious condition, normally when radiator almost dried up.

So i always install a obd meter to monitor things like temp, atf temp, battery level, etc...

Kopites praised this

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:58 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

TS at one point was looking at facelift w204, not sure if he has bought one or maybe has bought a new car.

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Hanip Automobiles Pte Ltd

Hanip Automobiles Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by DotDOTdot  |  Neutral Newbie

Great knowledge and have the right equipment to troubleshoot the problem of my car. Upon confirmation of the cause, repair was done and the issue was totally gone. A happy driver now as the price paid was below what I have expected.

Hanip Automobiles Pte Ltd

Hanip Automobiles Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Altis5279  |  Neutral Newbie

My Wife's Toyota Altis has been facing several engine problems for almost 18 months. There were cranking noises that could be heard from the engine once it ignites and when it's warming up. As such, the car experienced significant losses in its power and there were strong vibrations that could be felt from the engine. We were determined to have these problems fixed as t... » Read More

Related Motor Directory search on sgCarMart.com : Alliance Auto Pte Ltd, Hanip Automobiles Pte Ltd, Repair & Servicing

Quick Reply

Tags: lexus, s190, 450h, gs450h, engine and 4 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users