• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
63 replies to this topic | 275 praises

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:33 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

As we know more people are renewing COE. My point is not about more people are renewing COE because COE are cheaper or it makes better sense to renew COE. My comparison is more than 10 years ago, we dont see that amount of COE revalidations. So why ? My own assumptions are as follows:
1. Price gap of new car price and renewing COE too big.
2. New car price has VES, 15 years ago there was no VES.
3. Parf is 50% of ARF now, last time was 55%, making it more expensive to write off PARF.
4. Higher dealer margin. For example, dealers make about $20k per car from a B to B car like altis, premium car even more. I dont see the same margin years ago.
5. income did not catch up with inflation , relatively, people becomes poorer against new car price ?

So when all adds up, higher new car price against cheaper PARF making renewing COE an attractive option?

Please share your thoughts. Once we have the answer, I will ask transport minister to plug the hole.
Haha.

Edited by Ct3833, 26 April 2019 - 04:48 PM.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:50 PM

Spurman
  • Spurman
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

All your above seems correct and logical.

6. Some of the cars renewed are for grab or gojek I assume.

7. Most of these Coe cars are Japanese or Koreans which has proven their durability so far and thus good for renewal of COE.

sake and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:59 PM

Detach8
  • Premium member
    Detach8
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I think it's not that complicated.

There was a time, when people didn't think COE will hit 90K. But it did.
There was a time, when cars were not so reliable. So it was.

Cars in the last 10 years have improved tremendously in terms of general reliability, and now that people have seen COE shoot through the roof, they worry the same will happen again.

sake, Spurman, Mustank and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:16 PM

yishunite
  • Premium member
    yishunite
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Herd mentality has always exacerbated swings in markets... Sg "kiasu" syndrome guarantees that this will cause COE to swing up now... which then makes it the *rational* thing to do to beat the market.

Well proven stock mkt observation: whats rational at individual level leads to systemicly irrational outcomes

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:18 PM

cmcex
  • cmcex
    4th Gear
    Author Image

4. Higher dealer margin. For example, dealers make about $20k per car from a B to B car like altis, premium car even more. I dont see the same margin years ago.

How did u come out with 20k margin for a altis??? 

10yrs ago, COE cheap, 5k 6k 7k only. How to compare with today?

Decade back, even cleaner washing toilet also can afford new car OPC scheme, china brands.

Edited by cmcex, 26 April 2019 - 05:20 PM.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:19 PM

makeanewcall
  • Premium member
    makeanewcall
    4th Gear
    Author Image

find on lta website for the pdf file indicating cost of sales and number of vehicles sold. 

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:21 PM

cmcex
  • cmcex
    4th Gear
    Author Image

find on lta website for the pdf file indicating cost of sales and number of vehicles sold. 

Did he mean new car or used car? AD profits?

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:23 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Did he mean new car or used car? AD profits?

I am referring to new car.
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:23 PM

cmcex
  • cmcex
    4th Gear
    Author Image

7. Most of these Coe cars are Japanese or Koreans which has proven their durability so far and thus good for renewal of COE.

I can say this?

DONT BLUFF!!! in 2009, i export cars like nobody business, all say 3 yrs already car will start to have problem. Durability and reliability thrown out of window when COE is cheap... Its always the case. 2009 cheap coe and can loan 120% what u think? Suddenly car all have problems after warranty expires.

Suddenly now, cars can be so lasting... bcos now can only loan 70% max and COE is expensive. Its never about the car, its all about the loan and COE

Edited by cmcex, 26 April 2019 - 05:26 PM.

Jamesc, Evillusion, t0y0ta, Ct3833 and Atonchia praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:38 PM

sake
  • Premium member
    sake
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

some cars are collectibles, hence COEs are renewed.

Ct3833 praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Decade back, even cleaner washing toilet also can afford new car OPC scheme, china brands.

Think he means just basic cost vs selling price. In the past you could see 10k. Now closer to 20k or more.
sake praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:04 PM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I can say this?

DONT BLUFF!!! in 2009, i export cars like nobody business, all say 3 yrs already car will start to have problem. Durability and reliability thrown out of window when COE is cheap... Its always the case. 2009 cheap coe and can loan 120% what u think? Suddenly car all have problems after warranty expires.

Suddenly now, cars can be so lasting... bcos now can only loan 70% max and COE is expensive. Its never about the car, its all about the loan and COE

I summarize for you.

Its not the car

Its the MONEY.

:grin:

Pocy, sake, Ct3833, Teo2000, Carbon82 and Bacteria83 praised this
Say no to harsh artificial chemicals

that pollute the earth

and go natural. [thumbsup]

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:48 PM

Julian1014
  • Julian1014
    Clutched
    Author Image

I believe all is waiting for hybrid vehicle to be affordable and not want to commit so much upfront cash. Once the price is right, they can just scrap and purchase.
sake praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:59 PM

Evillusion
  • Premium member
    Evillusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I can say this?

thought new car is pay 40% of car price.........
sake praised this
Together We stand Alone

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:39 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I believe all is waiting for hybrid vehicle to be affordable and not want to commit so much upfront cash. Once the price is right, they can just scrap and purchase.

your reason is quiet unique, not wrong but I am wondering how many of those who renewed their COE are  because of this reason.

some cars are collectibles, hence COEs are renewed.

this group of people is a constant.  10 yeas ago this number of people, 10 year later today is still about the same number of people. May have increase but wont impact COE renewal rate. 

Edited by Ct3833, 26 April 2019 - 10:40 PM.

sake praised this

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:48 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Current price $97,188 spacer.gif
up_arrow_11x10.gif
    whatisthis_icon_12x12.png Total basic cost $78,510

base on SGcarmart at current COE price, for a basic at 78k cost, they are selling at 97k, so it is 19k, of course there might be discount etc. but the margin in 10 or 15 years ago wanst so high. 

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:00 PM

sake
  • Premium member
    sake
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

this group of people is a constant.  10 yeas ago this number of people, 10 year later today is still about the same number of people. May have increase but wont impact COE renewal rate. 

this group also contribute to the crunch by renewing early to lock in lower COEs.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:06 PM

Midorima
  • Midorima
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Several reasons why people renew coe instead of buy new cars:-

1. More loan restrictions. Can’t take full cost of car. At the same time, loan restrictions elsewhere like property etc means people prefer to spend money there.

2. Cars more reliable, more information available online on how to maintain car. Easier access to information on workshops etc.

3. New car vs renew coe vs public transport. I must say public transport has improved in terms of network and people perhaps feel it’s either drive existing car or just don’t drive.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:18 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Several reasons why people renew coe instead of buy new cars:-

1. More loan restrictions. Canât take full cost of car. At the same time, loan restrictions elsewhere like property etc means people prefer to spend money there.

2. Cars more reliable, more information available online on how to maintain car. Easier access to information on workshops etc.

3. New car vs renew coe vs public transport. I must say public transport has improved in terms of network and people perhaps feel itâs either drive existing car or just donât drive.

Your point 3 most valid among the three. Part of the reasons I renew my COE because my car is underutilized.
Loan could be the other good reason too

this group also contribute to the crunch by renewing early to lock in lower COEs.

Ah i get your point, good one.

Edited by Ct3833, 26 April 2019 - 11:19 PM.

nazerath praised this

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:23 AM

Amazon777
  • Amazon777
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I'm still wondering should I renew a 9yrs old BMW F10 with OMV $36k. I had spent $10k to change the wear and tear 2yrs ago and Mileage is 140k now. Initially, waited to wait till next year closer to expiry to decide on renewal but COE on uptrend.

Was thinking to renew $31k in Feb'19 but it went up to $33k and $35k PQP now. If renew now and by next year June decided to scrap/export due to major repair, can still recover the PARF and balance COE of the renewed PQP. If mine is a Merc, shouldn't have much struggle. Anyway, still got 4 days to decide. Ask my wifey, she ok to swap to a new Elantra, her face frowning.

1 year ago, almost bought a 1 owner, 9yrs old Cayman 2.7L for $60k+. This one no brainer, confirm renew COE

Edited by Amazon777, 27 April 2019 - 12:35 AM.

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: coe, renewal, revalidation and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users