• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
131 replies to this topic | 588 praises

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

Gheeheng
  • Gheeheng
    Clutched
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Dear All –

Hope all is well. It has been a while since I start a new thread.

I need some advices on tyre change. I have sleepless nights.

I am currently driving a manual Avante 1.6L car.

Just this Saturday (4th May) I just changed my 2 old tyres (Kumho) installed in the front, to 2 new one (BFGoodRich Advantage T/A)

My previous Kumho was changed on 11 July 2015 at a Mileage or 39800km

Last Saturday 4th May 2019, I went to one workshop to request for a tyre rotation service because last November when I went to Komoco to service, they refuse to rotate for me because they told me my Kumho tyres are getting bald head (BOTAK), 2 words from them "NO POINT". In the end under Mechanic’s advice last Saturday (in Bukit Merah Lane), I changed Kumho to BFGoodRich. Kind of confused why need to change now and I cannot find any good review on BFGOODRICH!

Per last Saturday, my car Mileage read 79285km (Means my Kumho ran for 39485km approximately.

Now the configuration of my Avante is 2 Front tyres is a pair of BFGoodRich 2018 and 2 Back Tyres is a pair of Michelin 2012 (Changed before I change Kumho)

My Question now is

1. Is it necessary to change my Back Tyres to a pair of new one? Should I use back BFGoodRich? The threading still left a lot to use. Is Michelin brand. Hence I just want to confirm can we use a 7 years old Tyres?
  2. I went to Sin Ming one of the Motor shop to request to change BFGoodRich from front to back so that I want to wear off the Michelin pair when I put them in front, Uncle told me he refused to change because Michelin ones are 2012. He told me his has a strong principle being a professional car mechanic, what happen if after he changed and then my car got into accident?

May I know what are my options? I have sleepless nights after I changed to BFGoodRich.  Because I intend to change all four to GoodYear which I have been researching for months that Good Year are fuel efficient tyres.

Option1: Change Michelin to BFGoodRich?

Option2: remain same configuration under COE ends?

Option3: Change all 4 tyres to GoodYear?

Option4: Sell my car now and get a 7 seater?

My COE ending 2020 May next year. Mileage done is still less 80k. one Full Tank 45L I can clock 700km per 1 pump of 95. I only drive on Sat and Sun. Mine is a OPC.

Thank you.

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

Columbian78
  • Columbian78
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I ever had BFgoodrich tyres many years ago. I had to take them cos the shop only offered them and I had cracks on my tyres then. Cannot remember the model name but they are the worst tyres ever I had. Super noisy straight from new. I don't even remember if they perform well or not cos I straight away change them away after few days. Its that bad. I think their reputation is in truck or off road tyres. If they are any good for normal street passenger cars, you should find more topics in this or any other forums you search.

If you are going to buy 2 more BFgoodrich tyres, make sure you like the 2 currently on your car before you commit. Otherwise just buy a new set of 4.

Beregond praised this

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

Jon_cclau
  • Premium member
    Jon_cclau
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Dear All –

Just this Saturday (4th May) I just changed my 2 old tyres (Kumho) installed in the front, to 2 new one (BFGoodRich Advantage T/A)

Last Saturday 4th May 2019, I went to one workshop to request for a tyre rotation service because last November when I went to Komoco to service, they refuse to rotate for me because they told me my Kumho tyres are getting bald head (BOTAK), 2 words from them "NO POINT". In the end under Mechanic’s advice last Saturday (in Bukit Merah Lane), I changed Kumho to BFGoodRich. Kind of confused why need to change now and I cannot find any good review on BFGOODRICH!

Per last Saturday, my car Mileage read 79285km (Means my Kumho ran for 39485km approximately.

Now the configuration of my Avante is 2 Front tyres is a pair of BFGoodRich 2018 and 2 Back Tyres is a pair of Michelin 2012 (Changed before I change Kumho)

My Question now is

1. Is it necessary to change my Back Tyres to a pair of new one? Should I use back BFGoodRich? The threading still left a lot to use. Is Michelin brand. Hence I just want to confirm can we use a 7 years old Tyres?
  2. I went to Sin Ming one of the Motor shop to request to change BFGoodRich from front to back so that I want to wear off the Michelin pair when I put them in front, Uncle told me he refused to change because Michelin ones are 2012. He told me his has a strong principle being a professional car mechanic, what happen if after he changed and then my car got into accident?

May I know what are my options? I have sleepless nights after I changed to BFGoodRich.  Because I intend to change all four to GoodYear which I have been researching for months that Good Year are fuel efficient tyres.

My COE ending 2020 May next year. Mileage done is still less 80k. one Full Tank 45L I can clock 700km per 1 pump of 95. I only drive on Sat and Sun. Mine is a OPC.

Thank you.

Everyone will have different ways to handle situation like this.

Your situation if I will to conclude is like that:

- You are driving a OPC car (driving on weekend only)

- Your car left 1 year to scrap

- You have 2 new BFGoodRich tires in front and 2 pcs of 7 years old Michelin at the rear 

- Your car is front wheel drive

My comments as follows:

Safety should be the first consideration and most important.  The workshop at Sin Ming is not wrong because for FWD car, the front tires will wear out faster and your old Michelin tires which is 7 years old is definitely not safe to use.  The BFGoodRich is good enough to last you until May 2020.  If you do not wish to invest on another set of new tires for the rear due to the car scraping in a year's time, you can always consider getting a used tires.  There are many good used tires, some being swopped out due to upgrading of bigger tires with very low mileage and at competitive price.

I strongly encourage you to quickly replace the old tires ASAP for safety reason.  If your tires burst while travelling, worst if you have family members inside the car, the consequences will be much much more than a tire price.

Good Luck!

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:22 PM

Beregond
  • Premium member
    Beregond
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Everyone will have different ways to handle situation like this.

Your situation if I will to conclude is like that:

- You are driving a OPC car (driving on weekend only)
- Your car left 1 year to scrap
- You have 2 new BFGoodRich tires in front and 2 pcs of 7 years old Michelin at the rear
- Your car is front wheel drive

My comments as follows:

Safety should be the first consideration and most important. The workshop at Sin Ming is not wrong because for FWD car, the front tires will wear out faster and your old Michelin tires which is 7 years old is definitely not safe to use. The BFGoodRich is good enough to last you until May 2020. If you do not wish to invest on another set of new tires for the rear due to the car scraping in a year's time, you can always consider getting a used tires. There are many good used tires, some being swopped out due to upgrading of bigger tires with very low mileage and at competitive price.

I strongly encourage you to quickly replace the old tires ASAP for safety reason. If your tires burst while travelling, worst if you have family members inside the car, the consequences will be much much more than a tire price.

Good Luck!

used tyres is = as old tyres.
anw his is 15' only i believe.
2 pcs of fresh non branded wont cost more then 200.
use for 1 year. very reasonable what .

some type of money cannot be stingy 1, like brakes n tyres.

Edited by Beregond, 06 May 2019 - 03:45 PM.

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Just like moving house because of a leaking tap....

Beregond and Uncle2 praised this

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

Pocy
  • Premium member
    Pocy
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

TS .............. stressful 🙃
Uncle2, therock, Buadongdong and Carbon82 praised this

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:19 PM

Desrongrong
  • Premium member
    Desrongrong
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I am sorry , my words gonna sound very harsh.....you are using a pair of 7 years old tyres and yet you still can say you have sleepless nights becos of 2 brand new tyres , seriously ! And you can even  think of option 2 .... (remain same configuration under COE ends?). Please la change out that pair of 7 years old tyres. Your car is not the only vehicle on the road. 

Dear All –

My Question now is

Thank you.

kobayashiGT praised this

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:24 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Seriously, saying anything now will be too late liao.

No point.

The inaction by the mechanics already says it all. I think they were nice enough not to say or do anything more.

Edited by Watwheels, 06 May 2019 - 04:27 PM.

Desrongrong praised this
Feel so rich. Or just an illusion?

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

Knoobie
  • Premium member
    Knoobie
    Supercharged
    Author Image

i wouldn't even recommend you to drive your car to the tyre shop.. please tow it all the way and change all 4 tyres..

you are a serious road hazard.

Doesn't mean you drive a faster car, you can travel at 70kph on a clear lane 1 with a train of cars behind you...

that is what lane 2 is for..

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:41 PM

Cypher
  • Premium member
    Cypher
    4th Gear
    Author Image

15" Kumho cost around $70 each. Just go and replace the old Michelin. If you really really want to save money then rotate the Michelins to the front and the new tyres to the rear yourself... IMHO, its a good practice to put new tyres at the rear.
I'm a healthy student.

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

Jon_cclau
  • Premium member
    Jon_cclau
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Generally Tires have 5-6 years life.

All tires should have an expiration date.  Older tires are substantially more likely to fail than newer ones. This is because tires are made mostly of rubber, and rubber degrades with age, Sunlight, heat, and general wear and tear can accelerate the breakdown of a tire.

It is not just about the left over thread which you see from your naked eye, but is the compound of the rubber that is degrading.

To conclude:

• Tires begin to weaken and fall apart as they age.
  • The tire aging process happens regardless of whether a tire is on a vehicle or in a temperature-controlled room.
  • Most tires begin to significantly degrade around five years from the date of manufacture.
  • Six years from the date of manufacture, most tires are no longer safe for use on a vehicle.

Carbon82 and kobayashiGT praised this

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

Gheeheng
  • Gheeheng
    Clutched
    Author Image

When i send my vehicle to Bukit Merah to do rotation on 4th May (Saturday). They only advised me to change Kumho. (front 2). So i changed [to something i don't know good or not good - this lead me to stress]

Sin Ming Mechanic only told me (on 5th May, Sunday) that Michelin tyres was dated 2012 (i didn't keep track - my fault - my apology to those who feel that my car will hit others. "Whatever you think you visualise it will come. If we ask we get". So becareful of your thoughts). Mr Yap has advised me to change the Michelin one too and asked me why Mechanic in Bukit Merah lane didn't (strongly) advise me to change Michelin as well. Where is their professionalism blah blah? How come they didn't check? why why why? 

I went to Vicom Inspection centre on 27 April 2019 (saturday) they told me to change front is ok. Behind can use. Hence last Saturday I went to change at 119 Bukit Merah Lane. He asked his mechanic to get 2 such and start screw them in. I LL just pay. I sleepless because I DON"T KNOW ANYTHING about BEGOODRICH. Not because of money. If the tyre cost me $250 per piece and give me less noise and good fuel efficent. I will pay. i don't gamble i don't smoke i dont go JB massage and clear pipe and I save 60% of my take home pay. What is quality and got value I will pay no need installment.

I start this thread is because i just realised Michelin tyres dated 2012.  (i apologized on top)

Yes I did request Sin Ming mechanic to change New BFGoodRich to rear, but they refused. Reason I mentioned on my first thread.

My driving style is not like many who speed and zoom and cut anyhow at high speed. I am a careful driver who maintain at lower speed than the stated speed limit in expressway. If is 80, i cruise at 70km/h at left most lane (always). Sometime Big Truck (malaysia plate) also over take me.

Yes some of your words are harsh or too straight. Is ok for me because this is a forum, not an office email to your boss or stakeholder or to your clients who buy your service or product so tone you using is different..

Sometime before i reply anything i also will check if the user or driver are the first time owning car. Just like all seller and buyer in Carousell. before you accept offer, what you check? Their credibility review feedback, etc. correct?

Also one thing i want to state in this forum " If you are unable to say something nice or good, just keep quiet to earn (more) good karma for your yourself and family members".

Thank you.

Optramagnum and 2 Anonymous members praised this

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:58 PM

Roberttan
  • Roberttan
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Dear All –

My Question now is

Thank you.

my personal POV

option 1   buy any brand new tire (but not those low cost ) Quailty is important

option 2 remain same till COE end ( if you are driving locally and no fast and hard driving and low ,mileage ) even the tire 7 years I think is still OK till next year

option 3 is a really waste of Money to change all 4

option 4  you decide

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:59 PM

Gheeheng
  • Gheeheng
    Clutched
    Author Image

I intend to renew COE for 10 years. Hence getting a good reviewed tyre are very important.

How I achieve a 700km mileage (almost like prius hybrid taxi 1 full tank above 700km?

I research on  things that are crucial to engine.

I used expensive motor oil Amsoil 5W30 signature series. 

Tyres play apart. 

Travel on highway play apart.

how to apply your strength on your right foot also important.

kobayashiGT praised this

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:01 PM

markw12
  • Premium member
    markw12
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Don't be stress. Just change all tyres.

Safety first. Tyres are the only contact with the road.

Edit: If you are okay with BFGoodRich tyres, then you could replace the rear.

But I would prefer sticking with the common brands.

Edited by markw12, 06 May 2019 - 08:03 PM.

therock, Buadongdong and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

t0y0ta
  • t0y0ta
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Dear All –

My Question now is

Thank you.

Newer tyre with better grip MUST be installed at the rear for safety. Please google for the explanation.

Few years ago, I also blur blur think new tyre should install in front, then finally wake up when bro in this forum scolded me.

Do whatever option you want, make sure the rear tyres should not be older/lesser grip than the front.

Buadongdong and Tianmo praised this

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:16 PM

Blueray
  • Blueray
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Dear All –

My Question now is

Thank you.

Option 1 or Option 3.

2012 tyre even if got thread the grip is gone. 

Don't stinge on critical item like tyres lah .... 7yo tyre is just waiting for something to happen. 

Carbon82 and 1 Anonymous member praised this
focus

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:55 PM

Gheeheng
  • Gheeheng
    Clutched
    Author Image

i am more inclined to change to BFGoodRich.

Thank you all.

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

Kopites
  • Kopites
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

used tyres is = as old tyres.
anw his is 15' only i believe.
2 pcs of fresh non branded wont cost more then 200.
use for 1 year. very reasonable what .

some type of money cannot be stingy 1, like brakes n tyres.

I reckon below 70 to 100 can get a normal 15" new tyre. Falcon? Dunlop?

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

Carbon82

Dear All –

My Question now is

Thank you.

When i send my vehicle to Bukit Merah to do rotation on 4th May (Saturday). They only advised me to change Kumho. (front 2). So i changed [to something i don't know good or not good - this lead me to stress]

Sin Ming Mechanic only told me (on 5th May, Sunday) that Michelin tyres was dated 2012 (i didn't keep track - my fault - my apology to those who feel that my car will hit others. "Whatever you think you visualise it will come. If we ask we get". So becareful of your thoughts). Mr Yap has advised me to change the Michelin one too and asked me why Mechanic in Bukit Merah lane didn't (strongly) advise me to change Michelin as well. Where is their professionalism blah blah? How come they didn't check? why why why? 

I went to Vicom Inspection centre on 27 April 2019 (saturday) they told me to change front is ok. Behind can use. Hence last Saturday I went to change at 119 Bukit Merah Lane. He asked his mechanic to get 2 such and start screw them in. I LL just pay. I sleepless because I DON"T KNOW ANYTHING about BEGOODRICH. Not because of money. If the tyre cost me $250 per piece and give me less noise and good fuel efficent. I will pay. i don't gamble i don't smoke i dont go JB massage and clear pipe and I save 60% of my take home pay. What is quality and got value I will pay no need installment.

I start this thread is because i just realised Michelin tyres dated 2012.  (i apologized on top)

Yes I did request Sin Ming mechanic to change New BFGoodRich to rear, but they refused. Reason I mentioned on my first thread.

My driving style is not like many who speed and zoom and cut anyhow at high speed. I am a careful driver who maintain at lower speed than the stated speed limit in expressway. If is 80, i cruise at 70km/h at left most lane (always). Sometime Big Truck (malaysia plate) also over take me.

Yes some of your words are harsh or too straight. Is ok for me because this is a forum, not an office email to your boss or stakeholder or to your clients who buy your service or product so tone you using is different..

Sometime before i reply anything i also will check if the user or driver are the first time owning car. Just like all seller and buyer in Carousell. before you accept offer, what you check? Their credibility review feedback, etc. correct?

Also one thing i want to state in this forum " If you are unable to say something nice or good, just keep quiet to earn (more) good karma for your yourself and family members".

Thank you.

The fact that VICOM ask you to change the front tyres is already a sign that your tyres are no longer safe to be used on the road. And your 1st post further reinforce my view.

As some have already mentioned, rubber material will degrade overtime (be it you use it or not) due to natural reaction with UV ray, heat, moisture, etc. It doesn't matter if you drive fast or slow, careful or not, but degraded rubber can get bloat and crack easily, without you knowing, and if that happen when you are driving, your vehicle may lost control and ... ... OK, even if none of the above happened, the braking performance, comfort level will still be affected, as harden rubber will be more bouncy and provide poorer grip (talking about this, it will also lead to extra wear and tear on your suspension)

Sorry to say, saving 60% of your pay, don't gamble or smoke does not add value to the discussion. As a car owner, as well as road user, we need to do our due diligence, ensuring that our car are road worthy, by sending our car for required preventive maintenance, and replacing critical component such as brake and tyres when needed (not when it started to show sign of failure). Again, I am making reference to your 1st post, that since last Nov, Komoco already highlighted to you that your front tyre cannot make it...

OK, back to the topic, if you have already make up your mind to continue driving the car beyond it COE expiry, you may give a serious consideration to replace all 4 tyres to GoodYear (I trusted that you have done your research and budget is not a concern for you). Else, just get the 2 rear tyres replaced in the interim - till you confirm you are extending the COE of your Avante (any brand, since it is only for short term). 

In a nutshell, any tyre, even BFGoodRich is way better and safer than your 7 years old Michelin... No sarcasm here.

<!-- isHtml:1 -->Behaviour shapes attitudes, and over a period of time, solidifies into beliefs.

Back to Tyres and Rims  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Bridgestone Ecopia EP300

Bridgestone Ecopia EP300  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Ricktyp  |  Neutral Newbie

Review of BridgeStone EP300 Tyre

Have just installed this tyre 3 days ago from AB under their buy 2 get 2 free promotion. The tyre is 195/65/15. They gave me a week 17 for yr 2017 and Made in Thailand Though it is only 3 days old, find that the tyre has very good rolling... » Read More

Michelin Energy XM2 Tyre

Michelin Energy XM2 Tyre  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Tracks  |  Neutral Newbie

Good lasting tyre?

According to what I read at website the tyre has a limited warranty up to 6 years. Does this mean the tyre could last up to 6 years?

Related Product Guide search on sgCarMart.com : Economy Tyre

Quick Reply

Tags: hyundai, hyundaibfgoodrich and 7 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users