Need Advice on Tyres Change

Gheeheng

Dear All –

Hope all is well. It has been a while since I start a new thread.

I need some advices on tyre change. I have sleepless nights.

I am currently driving a manual Avante 1.6L car.

Just this Saturday (4th May) I just changed my 2 old tyres (Kumho) installed in the front, to 2 new one (BFGoodRich Advantage T/A)

My previous Kumho was changed on 11 July 2015 at a Mileage or 39800km

Last Saturday 4th May 2019, I went to one workshop to request for a tyre rotation service because last November when I went to Komoco to service, they refuse to rotate for me because they told me my Kumho tyres are getting bald head (BOTAK), 2 words from them "NO POINT". In the end under Mechanic’s advice last Saturday (in Bukit Merah Lane), I changed Kumho to BFGoodRich. Kind of confused why need to change now and I cannot find any good review on BFGOODRICH!

Per last Saturday, my car Mileage read 79285km (Means my Kumho ran for 39485km approximately.

Now the configuration of my Avante is 2 Front tyres is a pair of BFGoodRich 2018 and 2 Back Tyres is a pair of Michelin 2012 (Changed before I change Kumho)

My Question now is

1. Is it necessary to change my Back Tyres to a pair of new one? Should I use back BFGoodRich? The threading still left a lot to use. Is Michelin brand. Hence I just want to confirm can we use a 7 years old Tyres?
  2. I went to Sin Ming one of the Motor shop to request to change BFGoodRich from front to back so that I want to wear off the Michelin pair when I put them in front, Uncle told me he refused to change because Michelin ones are 2012. He told me his has a strong principle being a professional car mechanic, what happen if after he changed and then my car got into accident?

May I know what are my options? I have sleepless nights after I changed to BFGoodRich.  Because I intend to change all four to GoodYear which I have been researching for months that Good Year are fuel efficient tyres.

Option1: Change Michelin to BFGoodRich?

Option2: remain same configuration under COE ends?

Option3: Change all 4 tyres to GoodYear?

Option4: Sell my car now and get a 7 seater?

My COE ending 2020 May next year. Mileage done is still less 80k. one Full Tank 45L I can clock 700km per 1 pump of 95. I only drive on Sat and Sun. Mine is a OPC.

Thank you.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I ever had BFgoodrich tyres many years ago. I had to take them cos the shop only offered them and I had cracks on my tyres then. Cannot remember the model name but they are the worst tyres ever I had. Super noisy straight from new. I don't even remember if they perform well or not cos I straight away change them away after few days. Its that bad. I think their reputation is in truck or off road tyres. If they are any good for normal street passenger cars, you should find more topics in this or any other forums you search.

If you are going to buy 2 more BFgoodrich tyres, make sure you like the 2 currently on your car before you commit. Otherwise just buy a new set of 4.

• Praise 1

Dear All –

Just this Saturday (4th May) I just changed my 2 old tyres (Kumho) installed in the front, to 2 new one (BFGoodRich Advantage T/A)

Last Saturday 4th May 2019, I went to one workshop to request for a tyre rotation service because last November when I went to Komoco to service, they refuse to rotate for me because they told me my Kumho tyres are getting bald head (BOTAK), 2 words from them "NO POINT". In the end under Mechanic’s advice last Saturday (in Bukit Merah Lane), I changed Kumho to BFGoodRich. Kind of confused why need to change now and I cannot find any good review on BFGOODRICH!

Per last Saturday, my car Mileage read 79285km (Means my Kumho ran for 39485km approximately.

Now the configuration of my Avante is 2 Front tyres is a pair of BFGoodRich 2018 and 2 Back Tyres is a pair of Michelin 2012 (Changed before I change Kumho)

My Question now is

1. Is it necessary to change my Back Tyres to a pair of new one? Should I use back BFGoodRich? The threading still left a lot to use. Is Michelin brand. Hence I just want to confirm can we use a 7 years old Tyres?
  2. I went to Sin Ming one of the Motor shop to request to change BFGoodRich from front to back so that I want to wear off the Michelin pair when I put them in front, Uncle told me he refused to change because Michelin ones are 2012. He told me his has a strong principle being a professional car mechanic, what happen if after he changed and then my car got into accident?

May I know what are my options? I have sleepless nights after I changed to BFGoodRich.  Because I intend to change all four to GoodYear which I have been researching for months that Good Year are fuel efficient tyres.

My COE ending 2020 May next year. Mileage done is still less 80k. one Full Tank 45L I can clock 700km per 1 pump of 95. I only drive on Sat and Sun. Mine is a OPC.

Thank you.

Everyone will have different ways to handle situation like this.

Your situation if I will to conclude is like that:

- You are driving a OPC car (driving on weekend only)

- Your car left 1 year to scrap

- You have 2 new BFGoodRich tires in front and 2 pcs of 7 years old Michelin at the rear 

- Your car is front wheel drive

My comments as follows:

Safety should be the first consideration and most important.  The workshop at Sin Ming is not wrong because for FWD car, the front tires will wear out faster and your old Michelin tires which is 7 years old is definitely not safe to use.  The BFGoodRich is good enough to last you until May 2020.  If you do not wish to invest on another set of new tires for the rear due to the car scraping in a year's time, you can always consider getting a used tires.  There are many good used tires, some being swopped out due to upgrading of bigger tires with very low mileage and at competitive price.

I strongly encourage you to quickly replace the old tires ASAP for safety reason.  If your tires burst while travelling, worst if you have family members inside the car, the consequences will be much much more than a tire price.

Good Luck!

• Praise 7

(edited)

Everyone will have different ways to handle situation like this.

Your situation if I will to conclude is like that:

- You are driving a OPC car (driving on weekend only)

- Your car left 1 year to scrap

- You have 2 new BFGoodRich tires in front and 2 pcs of 7 years old Michelin at the rear

- Your car is front wheel drive

My comments as follows:

Safety should be the first consideration and most important. The workshop at Sin Ming is not wrong because for FWD car, the front tires will wear out faster and your old Michelin tires which is 7 years old is definitely not safe to use. The BFGoodRich is good enough to last you until May 2020. If you do not wish to invest on another set of new tires for the rear due to the car scraping in a year's time, you can always consider getting a used tires. There are many good used tires, some being swopped out due to upgrading of bigger tires with very low mileage and at competitive price.

I strongly encourage you to quickly replace the old tires ASAP for safety reason. If your tires burst while travelling, worst if you have family members inside the car, the consequences will be much much more than a tire price.

Good Luck!

used tyres is = as old tyres.

anw his is 15' only i believe.

2 pcs of fresh non branded wont cost more then 200.

use for 1 year. very reasonable what .

some type of money cannot be stingy 1, like brakes n tyres.

Edited by Beregond

I am sorry , my words gonna sound very harsh.....you are using a pair of 7 years old tyres and yet you still can say you have sleepless nights becos of 2 brand new tyres , seriously ! And you can even  think of option 2 .... (remain same configuration under COE ends?). Please la change out that pair of 7 years old tyres. Your car is not the only vehicle on the road. 

Dear All –

My Question now is

Thank you.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Seriously, saying anything now will be too late liao.

No point.

The inaction by the mechanics already says it all. I think they were nice enough not to say or do anything more.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

i wouldn't even recommend you to drive your car to the tyre shop.. please tow it all the way and change all 4 tyres..

you are a serious road hazard.

• Praise 3

15" Kumho cost around $70 each. Just go and replace the old Michelin. If you really really want to save money then rotate the Michelins to the front and the new tyres to the rear yourself... IMHO, its a good practice to put new tyres at the rear.

Generally Tires have 5-6 years life.

All tires should have an expiration date.  Older tires are substantially more likely to fail than newer ones. This is because tires are made mostly of rubber, and rubber degrades with age, Sunlight, heat, and general wear and tear can accelerate the breakdown of a tire.

It is not just about the left over thread which you see from your naked eye, but is the compound of the rubber that is degrading.

To conclude:

• Tires begin to weaken and fall apart as they age.
  • The tire aging process happens regardless of whether a tire is on a vehicle or in a temperature-controlled room.
  • Most tires begin to significantly degrade around five years from the date of manufacture.
  • Six years from the date of manufacture, most tires are no longer safe for use on a vehicle.
  • Praise 3

When i send my vehicle to Bukit Merah to do rotation on 4th May (Saturday). They only advised me to change Kumho. (front 2). So i changed [to something i don't know good or not good - this lead me to stress]

Sin Ming Mechanic only told me (on 5th May, Sunday) that Michelin tyres was dated 2012 (i didn't keep track - my fault - my apology to those who feel that my car will hit others. "Whatever you think you visualise it will come. If we ask we get". So becareful of your thoughts). Mr Yap has advised me to change the Michelin one too and asked me why Mechanic in Bukit Merah lane didn't (strongly) advise me to change Michelin as well. Where is their professionalism blah blah? How come they didn't check? why why why? 

I went to Vicom Inspection centre on 27 April 2019 (saturday) they told me to change front is ok. Behind can use. Hence last Saturday I went to change at 119 Bukit Merah Lane. He asked his mechanic to get 2 such and start screw them in. I LL just pay. I sleepless because I DON"T KNOW ANYTHING about BEGOODRICH. Not because of money. If the tyre cost me $250 per piece and give me less noise and good fuel efficent. I will pay. i don't gamble i don't smoke i dont go JB massage and clear pipe and I save 60% of my take home pay. What is quality and got value I will pay no need installment.

I start this thread is because i just realised Michelin tyres dated 2012.  (i apologized on top)

Yes I did request Sin Ming mechanic to change New BFGoodRich to rear, but they refused. Reason I mentioned on my first thread.

My driving style is not like many who speed and zoom and cut anyhow at high speed. I am a careful driver who maintain at lower speed than the stated speed limit in expressway. If is 80, i cruise at 70km/h at left most lane (always). Sometime Big Truck (malaysia plate) also over take me.

Yes some of your words are harsh or too straight. Is ok for me because this is a forum, not an office email to your boss or stakeholder or to your clients who buy your service or product so tone you using is different..

Sometime before i reply anything i also will check if the user or driver are the first time owning car. Just like all seller and buyer in Carousell. before you accept offer, what you check? Their credibility review feedback, etc. correct?

Also one thing i want to state in this forum " If you are unable to say something nice or good, just keep quiet to earn (more) good karma for your yourself and family members".

Thank you.

• Praise 3

Dear All –

My Question now is

Thank you.

my personal POV

option 1   buy any brand new tire (but not those low cost ) Quailty is important

option 2 remain same till COE end ( if you are driving locally and no fast and hard driving and low ,mileage ) even the tire 7 years I think is still OK till next year

option 3 is a really waste of Money to change all 4

option 4  you decide

I intend to renew COE for 10 years. Hence getting a good reviewed tyre are very important.

How I achieve a 700km mileage (almost like prius hybrid taxi 1 full tank above 700km?

I research on  things that are crucial to engine.

I used expensive motor oil Amsoil 5W30 signature series. 

Tyres play apart. 

Travel on highway play apart.

how to apply your strength on your right foot also important.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

(edited)

Don't be stress. Just change all tyres.

Safety first. Tyres are the only contact with the road.

Edit: If you are okay with BFGoodRich tyres, then you could replace the rear.

But I would prefer sticking with the common brands.

Edited by markw12
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

Dear All –

My Question now is

Thank you.

Newer tyre with better grip MUST be installed at the rear for safety. Please google for the explanation.

Few years ago, I also blur blur think new tyre should install in front, then finally wake up when bro in this forum scolded me.

Do whatever option you want, make sure the rear tyres should not be older/lesser grip than the front.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Dear All –

My Question now is

Thank you.

Option 1 or Option 3.

2012 tyre even if got thread the grip is gone. 

Don't stinge on critical item like tyres lah .... 7yo tyre is just waiting for something to happen. 

• Praise 2