• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
131 replies to this topic | 588 praises

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:06 PM

Kopites
  • Kopites
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Option 1 or Option 3.

2012 tyre even if got thread the grip is gone.

Don't stinge on critical item like tyres lah .... 7yo tyre is just waiting for something to happen.

wet day pretty dangerous.

Actually we are kind of harsh here. TS you might want to spend 60 to 70 (one pcs should be around 30 to 40) get a reused newer tyres.

there are many tyre shop selling reuse tyre. take note of the YOM and safety thread level.

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

Blueray
  • Blueray
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

have not heard of BFGoodrich for a long time so decided to google.

apparently the award-winning tyres (not I say one, SGcarmart say one [laugh] ) came back to SG in 2017.

https://www.sgcarmar...e.php?AID=17068

Buadongdong praised this
focus

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

markw12
  • Premium member
    markw12
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

$100 should be able to get michelin energy saver (xm2)

I reckon below 70 to 100 can get a normal 15" new tyre. Falcon? Dunlop?

2 Anonymous members praised this

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:45 AM

Vinceng
  • Premium member
    Vinceng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

@Gheeheng

Several options available

1) Renew Cat A COE now at $28K till May 2029 and replace the rear 7 yr old tyres with new ones

2) If you are undecided and want to save money, then replace the rear tyres with reasonably new used tyres. About $50 each

3) If you intend to get the MPV soon, then leave the rear tyres as is.

Edited by Vinceng, 07 May 2019 - 01:45 AM.

Tianmo praised this

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:41 AM

Cypher
  • Premium member
    Cypher
    4th Gear
    Author Image

TS, just wondering. The replies here are based on what info you wrote. I believed you're the person who did research before committing. Some of the events that happened left myself with some questions.

1) Why did you proceed to replace your 2 tyres then? Were you in a situation (read burst tyre) where you are unable to go to a proper tyre shop?
2) Why did you change only 2 tyres and not 4 if money is not an issue to you?
3) Why are you having sleepless night over $200~$300 value(If money is not the issue)?
4) If you really are having second thoughts, why not just change all 4 tyres(Your preferred brand) NOW rather than having sleepless night?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Just to clear my doubts and not finding fault with you. Hopefully I can also learn something out of this situation. Cheers.

Edited by Cypher, 07 May 2019 - 07:43 AM.

Buadongdong, Knoobie, Baleno and 2 Anonymous members praised this
I'm a healthy student.

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

Knoobie
  • Premium member
    Knoobie
    Supercharged
    Author Image

TS, just wondering. The replies here are based on what info you wrote. I believed you're the person who did research before committing. Some of the events that happened left myself with some questions.

1) Why did you proceed to replace your 2 tyres then? Were you in a situation (read burst tyre) where you are unable to go to a proper tyre shop?
2) Why did you change only 2 tyres and not 4 if money is not an issue to you?
3) Why are you having sleepless night over $200~$300 value(If money is not the issue)?
4) If you really are having second thoughts, why not just change all 4 tyres(Your preferred brand) NOW rather than having sleepless night?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Just to clear my doubts and not finding fault with you. Hopefully I can also learn something out of this situation. Cheers.

exactly.

keeps saying money no issue but scrimp and save on basic wear and tear items.. 

when people call him road hazard he go curse people back.. 

4 tyres already so stressed.. i wonder what other things were not changed duly.

either a big troll or someone who i see that doesn't deserves to be on the road.

Doesn't mean you drive a faster car, you can travel at 70kph on a clear lane 1 with a train of cars behind you...

that is what lane 2 is for..

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

jaayh
  • Premium member
    jaayh
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

7 years old tire must change liao.... the thread probably harden to rock le under SG weather condition.

BFgoodrich quite popular in US.

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

Vinceng
  • Premium member
    Vinceng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Can save on modifications and leave the car stock and can pump 92RON to save.

But never save on tyres - each tyre's contact patch with the road is only the size of your palm

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:57 PM

STiYaKuzA
  • Premium member
    STiYaKuzA
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Personal experience - was running on Dunlops (Sportmaxx GT) which came with the car and I'd say they're pretty decent with good feedback. Lasted me almost 20k with around 3-4mm thread left when I aquaplaned along the expressway only slightly in excess of 90km/h. I immediately changed tyres the same week.

Even good tyres become almost unusable especially in wet weather nearing their EOL; what more can be said about old or low-end tyres?

Ironically with the new tyres (CSC6) I find the feedback isn't as good but the grip is stellar, haven't even heard them squeal (the Dunlops were very vocal at their threshold) yet under hard cornering other than at carparks with those shiny floors haha. Only complain is they wear pretty fast but it's a tradeoff and I can look forward to my next tyre change!
kobayashiGT praised this

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:21 PM

Tianmo
  • Premium member
    Tianmo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If drive car to scrap in May 2020, change out the 2 pcs of  2012 tyres, simi brand simi price also better than those 7 yrs old ones.  Put in front or put behind also makes no different, because the way you drive is sibei economical, no hard braking no fast wear. 

If going to renew COE for 10 yrs, just go change out all 4 tyre to whatever you have in your mind for the longest time, do your alignment, and have peace of mind for the next 2-3 yrs. 

If still cannot decide, at least go try find 2 pcs of used tyre with 70-80% tread left, mayb those yr 2016-2018. at least buy some time to plan again and most importantly get rid of the 2 time bomb.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

therock praised this
芸芸人海,罪孽深重,神佛不渡,唯我魔渡

with the spirit of the MCF tiko club..............We are................ TIKO RANGERS!!!

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:37 PM

Vinceng
  • Premium member
    Vinceng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

2010 Hyundai Avante stock tyre size is 185/65R15

Relatively new stock tyre costs $50 each = $100 for 2 pieces.

Or get a brand new tyre for a mere $68 each.

https://www.mycarfor...=listprod&cat=4

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:07 PM

Lovemyride
  • Premium member
    Lovemyride
    4th Gear
    Author Image

7 year old tyres are way too old. My tyres are already 3 years plus and I'm going to have them changed by end of this month. My mileage is low so I tend to drag it a bit more than the average person who changes at 2 years. 4 years is the max I will go.

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:15 PM

Kxbc
  • Kxbc
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

That day went to change car battery. While waiting, heard a mechanic tell an elderly female customer to change all her tyres because botak liao. She said where got botak, still can drive. Only 5 years old niah.

It's a wonder she managed to live to her early 60s.

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

Lovemyride
  • Premium member
    Lovemyride
    4th Gear
    Author Image

That day went to change car battery. While waiting, heard a mechanic tell an elderly female customer to change all her tyres because botak liao. She said where got botak, still can drive. Only 5 years old niah.

It's a wonder she managed to live to her early 60s.

For people who don't know a lot about cars, especially for someone of her age, there is this fear the mechanic is lying to her.

I used to frequent this tyre shop in the Paya Ubi area. 

The final time I visited them was when I went in for my free nitrogen refill, the person said, "Your tyres botak already. Must change. Have safety issue." I said, "Never mind, I'm in a hurry. Just fill the air and I'll come back another day." 

Because I know most people change tyres at 2 years or 40k km. My tyres were only 1 year old and I clocked only 7k km, how can so fast botak especially when I rotate and align constantly?  

I booked in to AD for my regular servicing the following week. Asked the SA. He said no need to change, still have at least 50% of life left. 

I can understand where this lady is coming from. Lack of knowledge is one thing. Not having a trusted workshop makes it worse. 

Edited by Lovemyride, 07 May 2019 - 08:42 PM.

Buadongdong and kobayashiGT praised this

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:44 AM

Knoobie
  • Premium member
    Knoobie
    Supercharged
    Author Image

For people who don't know a lot about cars, especially for someone of her age, there is this fear the mechanic is lying to her.

The final time I visited them was when I went in for my free nitrogen refill, the person said, "Your tyres botak already. Must change. Have safety issue." I said, "Never mind, I'm in a hurry. Just fill the air and I'll come back another day." 

Because I know most people change tyres at 2 years or 40k km. My tyres were only 1 year old and I clocked only 7k km, how can so fast botak especially when I rotate and align constantly?  

I booked in to AD for my regular servicing the following week. Asked the SA. He said no need to change, still have at least 50% of life left. 

I can understand where this lady is coming from. Lack of knowledge is one thing. Not having a trusted workshop makes it worse. 

simi tyre you using? 7k only 50% threadwear gone..

did you check your tyre pressure?

Volvobrick praised this

Doesn't mean you drive a faster car, you can travel at 70kph on a clear lane 1 with a train of cars behind you...

that is what lane 2 is for..

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

many many con shops out there. scare tactics.

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:15 AM

Lovemyride
  • Premium member
    Lovemyride
    4th Gear
    Author Image

simi tyre you using? 7k only 50% threadwear gone..

did you check your tyre pressure?

That was on my previous car. Scrap already. Bridgestone if I remember correctly. They weren't very good tyres and not exactly cheap either. At that 7k, 50% threadwear, the car was 9 years old, so a blessing in disguise although I liked the car. 

I top up nitrogen regularly at the shop. Once a month or so. My car can be parked for days in a row, so I tend to be more anal about tyre pressure because more air gets lost when the car isn't moving. Yes, I'm one of those lazy people who don't want to fill air at petrol stations. It's more of how I use the car that I prefer nitrogen so I get it done at the shop since it's free. 

After my bad experience with that shop, I now do my research and pop into different shops to see what tyre they offer for my car and at what price. I come home, read up online, then go back another day to get them changed. 

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

Roberttan
  • Roberttan
    5th Gear
    Author Image

scare tactics is common infact to every business .

so be a smart consumer or Driver here.

we can always ask for advice and ask Why do you recommend and show you at least visually .

nowaday Car authoried workshop started selling parts like battery and tires , Some SA also adopt scare tactic to promote them.(insider said they get some incentive for it ( i think is fair for this but be more professional).

Volvobrick and kobayashiGT praised this

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

Roberttan
  • Roberttan
    5th Gear
    Author Image

tire condition should learn to check and visually by ourselve.

but curious can share what car was that 7000km 50% gone? 

and the shop provide you free Nitrogen refill  [thumbsup]

I always strongly recommend tire rotation and re balancing every 10k km , it does help to prolong the life of your tires and also at the same time the tire workshop can help or show you physically the full condition.

Just MHO 

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

Devilcup
  • Devilcup
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

if you are so worry just spend abit more to change all 4 which I believe it will be less than 300 for any korea branded tyres. a new tyre still better than > 5 yr old tyres...
kobayashiGT praised this

Back to Tyres and Rims  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Michelin Energy XM2 Tyre

Michelin Energy XM2 Tyre  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Ika_tomas  |  Clutched

Good quiet Tyres

Changed from Yoko's to these on a recommendation from the boss of a Tyre shop. So far so good. Tyres are grippy on both Wet and Dry, the ride is really quiet with really low rolling resistance. Should fit laidback sedate driving styles.... » Read More

Yokohama BluEarth AE01 Tyre

Yokohama BluEarth AE01 Tyre  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Seanliu  |  Clutched

Surprising all right tyre

Before i try on this tyre(size 195/55R15) , i was using the Continental Premium Contact 5 (size 205/55R16). AE01 cost $80 CPC5 Cost $130 The Different in term of: Comfort - About the same Control - AE01 better , This amazed me B... » Read More

Related Product Guide search on sgCarMart.com : Economy Tyre

Quick Reply

Tags: hyundai, hyundaibfgoodrich and 7 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users