Living in Private Housing With No Income

therock

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/asset-rich-cash-poor-retirees-speak-up

Its an old article.

But this is what they are talking about.

This group of people are

1) getting larger, due to our aging populations

2) relatively educated

3) they had stable relatively higher paying jobs back in the 60s, probably as teachers or civil servants

The truth is, back in my parents days, these people were the atas crowd, cos the poor moved from farms to HDB.

These people have the means to pay for their house(kia geh chu/ang mo chu)

Many of you would know what the term denotes, not just a house, but a upper class kind of thing vs 'cheng hu chu'

They are now retired, but living in landed. Sorry 0 sympathies from me.

Many times its all about face for these people.

Don't use my (our) taxes to pay for these people who have 'adjustment problems'.

Paiseh. Please sell.

Praise praise praise

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/asset-rich-cash-poor-retirees-speak-up

Its an old article.

But this is what they are talking about.

This group of people are

1) getting larger, due to our aging populations

2) relatively educated

3) they had stable relatively higher paying jobs back in the 60s, probably as teachers or civil servants

The truth is, back in my parents days, these people were the atas crowd, cos the poor moved from farms to HDB.

These people have the means to pay for their house(kia geh chu/ang mo chu)

Many of you would know what the term denotes, not just a house, but a upper class kind of thing vs 'cheng hu chu'

They are now retired, but living in landed. Sorry 0 sympathies from me.

Many times its all about face for these people.

Don't use my (our) taxes to pay for these people who have 'adjustment problems'.

Paiseh. Please sell.

Now Govt announce policy change. Some of them can aim to sell.

Previously must leave 30 years no loan no CPF, some of them want to sell also no price.

• Praise 1

In my studies, you will find a variety of people who did not do well.

Those who have really fallen down on their luck, business went bad, etc. 

But these guys are waiting to raise again, and have a never say die attitude. I have a friend who has so many ups and downs, it's amazing. Second marriage, back to church, stable life. Kudos.

Then there are the ones who just can't get going. Is sugar bad for people with diabetes? These chaps know but still consume it. Then they get worse, have a limb or two cut off and it all spirals down. So ignorance, ostrich head in the sand? Many reasons

Then there are those who we call "Anhedonic" 

https://www.medicinenet.com/g00/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=17900&i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d&i10c.dv=6

People who just can't get going. And they may not be ill, physically or mentally. No urge to help themselves and always asking for handouts. 

Somewhere in between are the down and out, the old and the infirmed. 

And then there are the retired civil servants, pensioners, or those with an inheritance, sitting on nice homes, paid up but now they are jobless, and do not have a lot of disposable income. 

Also unwilling to sell, and looking for the government to help. They attend rallies by the opposition, cry foul when the government tells them to help themselves, but secretly have figured out that no one else can help them, but themselves, and yet they are unwilling to act..

• Praise 4

The article seems to have succeeded in making most people take a negative stance against this group, by assuming that they are living in private property that belongs to them.

This is a response to a simple question. In the past, people gripe that staying in private housing doesn't mean they are well off. So, the question is, how big is this group?

Not all of them are poor. But this exposes a blind spot. The Gahment does not know if they are rich or poor.

Twincharged

Or maybe they had an income but lost all in the Lehman / Hyflux bond saga? Worked very hard their whole life but ended up only their house is protected.

Help or don’t help?

• Praise 1

(edited)

Let's not turn the discussion into hate against anyone who lives in private property. Some in this forum like to automatically label all successful or rich people as bad and evil people.

The article is about how an MP Lim is trying to ascertain whether there is any truth to the claims by activists (who are probably living in private property) that "many, a large number" of such citizens are in "poverty" and cannot pay daily living costs, bills etc.

I think its more a case of the MP trying to expose these complainers who make unsubstantiated, anecdotal observations, and expose them as trying to take advantage of welfare.

Eh? Got hate meh?

Whats important is to make sure that these people who sit on assets know how to unlock the value to survive instead of asking for welfare in monetary forms.

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

If there is any good looking young lady staying in a nice bungalow

or a swanky condo and would like a lesbian in a man's body to come

and live with you I don't mind giving up my job and come and live with you.

I can also be your travel companion and we can round around the world

and stay in those nice hotels you see on Japan hour the one with the jacuzzi

in the room over looking the sea and snowing outside but the water is warm

and eat those kizeki food fit for an emperor.

If this sounds good to you faster pm me before the other ladies do and I will

be taken.

:D

So what's all the fuss about no income and live in private property?

Honestly I don't mind doing it and see nothing wrong other people doing it.

The people not happy jealous huh?

If you want you can just do it also what. No law says you cannot.    

Edited by Jamesc

Hypersonic

Oh I forgot to add I don't mind sleeping with you also

if that's the kind of thing you like.  [thumbsup]

If there is any good looking young lady staying in a nice bungalow

or a swanky condo and would like a lesbian in a man's body to come

and live with you I don't mind giving up my job and come and live with you.

I can also be your travel companion and we can round around the world

and stay in those nice hotels you see on Japan hour the one with the jacuzzi

in the room over looking the sea and snowing outside but the water is warm

and eat those kizeki food fit for an emperor.

If this sounds good to you faster pm me before the other ladies do and I will

be taken.

So what's all the fuss about no income and live in private property?

Honestly I don't mind doing it and see nothing wrong other people doing it.

The people not happy jealous huh?

If you want you can just do it also what. No law says you cannot.    

Supersonic
(edited)

A couple of my neighbours here are retirees, some are ex lawyers , ex businessmen, ex CFO etc. Some drive new premium brands while some drive COE cars, but all of them live comfortably, most of them have been here for a long time meaning they have likely paid up their landed fully. If in a worst case any minority who really could not meet their financial(I personally believe it is unlikely), they could just sell their few million dollars worth of landed and move into a condo or a HDB. This is their personal choice, the government should not worry about this small group of people.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

Twincharged
(edited)

So this may explain why the Govt emphasises rule changes in housing.

The worst situation is for them to be left with a less than then 30, now 20 year lease house, and retrenched etc. Sell also no pricing.

The current window created is also for this group to quickly proceed with their sales if required.

Edited by Showster

Twincharged
(edited)

In my studies, you will find a variety of people who did not do well.

Those who have really fallen down on their luck, business went bad, etc. 

But these guys are waiting to raise again, and have a never say die attitude. I have a friend who has so many ups and downs, it's amazing. Second marriage, back to church, stable life. Kudos.

Then there are the ones who just can't get going. Is sugar bad for people with diabetes? These chaps know but still consume it. Then they get worse, have a limb or two cut off and it all spirals down. So ignorance, ostrich head in the sand? Many reasons

Then there are those who we call "Anhedonic" 

https://www.medicinenet.com/g00/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=17900&i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d&i10c.dv=6

People who just can't get going. And they may not be ill, physically or mentally. No urge to help themselves and always asking for handouts. 

Somewhere in between are the down and out, the old and the infirmed. 

And then there are the retired civil servants, pensioners, or those with an inheritance, sitting on nice homes, paid up but now they are jobless, and do not have a lot of disposable income. 

Also unwilling to sell, and looking for the government to help. They attend rallies by the opposition, cry foul when the government tells them to help themselves, but secretly have figured out that no one else can help them, but themselves, and yet they are unwilling to act..

I once was asking some of the staff why they never go for their annual check up since its fully borne by the company.

The response was , better not know than know.

WTF ????

If you know you can get help no ???

Some of them are so obese that they have hips and joint problems. Poster girls for Liposuction ads, yet they choose to continue what they do.

They attribute it to something they "perceived" as lifestyle choice. Hate to say this, that's not quite the meaning of lifestyle choice.

Than, theres the conspiracy theory. If they find something wrong with me, it gives HR a chance to fire me.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Any property can be sold, but what it fetches in price... ah that's the issue..

And some of these retirees want more and still want handouts from the government..

Now we aren't talking about the down and out sorts who need help. We should and must go all out to help those folks. 

So not everyone is the same.. 

Supersonic
(edited)

The govt is not going out of their way to worry. It is a vocal minority among this small group who are acting like victims and looking to blame the govt for what they see as a lifestyle downgrade. They see it as loss of face.

And you may say it is easy for one to sell a multi-million property, but I have seen the cases where folks say prices are too low for them to sell. (Because it is a downturn and they are in hard times when they are old). It's a case of finding it hard to take bitter medicine.

btw since you namedrop that you live in landed property, are you retired too? How are you meeting lifestyle costs? Or are you younger and living with parents in their home?

Well I am reaching retirement, it is my own house. I manage my own financial to ensure that I do not need any source of funding other than myself. Those who said they are unable to sell their landed are because they have an unrealistic expectation or due to poor planning or taking a much bigger bite than they could swallow, thats all I can say. Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Eh? Got hate meh?

Whats important is to make sure that these people who sit on assets know how to unlock the value to survive instead of asking for welfare in monetary forms.

He also sent me private message to teach me lesson. what happen to him now, why is he evaporated ?

Supersonic
(edited)

WTF, the article said this group makes up 6% of the 2.7mil adult citizen, and landed is only 5.1% the total dwelling households, meaning many landed people are not paying tax !

Edited by Ct3833

Twincharged
(edited)

WTF, the article said this group makes up 6% of the 2.7mil adult citizen, and landed is only 5.1% the total dwelling households, meaning many landed people are not paying tax !

1 husband pays income tax, wife does not.

2. wife pays, husband does not.

3. child (staying with parents) pays, retired parents do not.

4. no one in household pays income tax.

the non-paying ones from 1, 2, and 3 are part of 6%?

or only 4?

not clear from article.

Edited by sake
  • Praise 4

Did the article say private landed or just private property?
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3