Malaysian teen died after Instagram suicide poll

Kopites

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/death-of-malaysian-teen-after-instagram-suicide-poll-sparks-11535712

not sure anyone shared this story. so many angle to look at this tragic event.

condolence to her relations.

RadX not sure this tragic story appropriate under this thread.

https://mothership.sg/2019/05/teenage-girl-malaysia-commit-suicide-instagram-poll/

Another link here.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Tragic. 16 years old only.

RIP. Really dun understand. So many fighting daily to live, just for another hour or day or month.

Pls cherish life. Its precious so dun let others decide if you D or L. No one cares really. Many may click for fun or in jest. Such a waste.

Haiz

• Praise 2

Tragic. 16 years old only.

RIP. Really dun understand. So many fighting daily to live, just for another hour or day or month.

Pls cherish life. Its precious so dun let others decide if you D or L. No one cares really. Many may click for fun or in jest. Such a waste.

Haiz

those over 60% legally liable for abetting her death?

does this constitute cyber bully?

what if 51% voted her to live. would she still be around now?

so many debatable angle as how this tragic event can be prevented.

Supersonic

I don't see any problem with those saying she should die. How can it be considered cyber bullying when she is the one that asked the question?

If they are legally liable then I think many of us can also be considered to be criminals because we told someone to "go die better". Only difference is that the fellow didn't kill himself.

(edited)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48281152

reported in bbc

I don't see any problem with those saying she should die. How can it be considered cyber bullying when she is the one that asked the question?

If they are legally liable then I think many of us can also be considered to be criminals because we told someone to "go die better". Only difference is that the fellow didn't kill himself.

what if 51% voted live?

source from bbc.

Malaysian police say a 16-year-old girl killed herself earlier this week, after she asked her Instagram followers whether she should live or die.

The Malaysian teenager had hosted a poll on her Instagram story, with the question: "Really Important, Help Me Choose D / L", where D stood for death, while L stood for life, according to police.

Some of her followers voted for "death".

Malaysian politicians are demanding an investigation, with the youth minister saying: "I am genuinely worried about the state of our youth's mental health."

The case raises serious questions about the impact of online bullying, and whether technology companies are doing enough to protect vulnerable users.

Edited by Kopites

Supersonic

No. Its really debatable whether these took her question seriously. Cos there are always desperate ppl craving for attention or be famous for something shocking.

Its anyone's guess if 51% voted for L that she will just carry on living.

Personally its scary to let strangers decide on something so final or serious, that's why i mentioned i dun understand her and her method of getting out of "i am so tired [of life?]"

Haiz. Young. 16 is like a step closer to a new chapter of life per se. Sweet 16 is usually about energetic youth and seemingly boundless opportunities to embark on a journey to adulthood.

Just me and my tots. Its sad. No one left in her mind worth an ounce of living on? Strangers have more importance it seems.

• Praise 1

(edited)

No. Its really debatable whether these took her question seriously. Cos there are always desperate ppl craving for attention or be famous for something shocking.

Its anyone's guess if 51% voted for L that she will just carry on living.

Personally its scary to let strangers decide on something so final or serious, that's why i mentioned i dun understand her and her method of getting out of "i am so tired [of life?]"

Haiz. Young. 16 is like a step closer to a new chapter of life per se. Sweet 16 is usually about energetic youth and seemingly boundless opportunities to embark on a journey to adulthood.

Just me and my tots. Its sad. No one left in her mind worth an ounce of living on? Strangers have more importance it seems.

is really frightening that a life can be lost due a poll on an Internet forum. Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

is really frightening that a life can be lost due a poll on an Internet forum.

Yes, scary.

Parents in this instance remarried and moved on with their newfound love. They forgotten about her? Or she felt "abandoned"? Haiz. A few unanswered questions. Its sad to hear these words from a 16 years old, "I am so tired".

Pls cherish your kiddos. Dun let them go to strangers or start a poll to vote for life changing or life ending decisions. Your flesh and blood. Innocent lives brought into this world by yours and partner's actions. Nurture them and protect them ya.

They are not things to be thrown away or set aside to collect dust and tiredness.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48281152

reported in bbc

what if 51% voted live?

source from bbc.

Malaysian police say a 16-year-old girl killed herself earlier this week, after she asked her Instagram followers whether she should live or die.

The Malaysian teenager had hosted a poll on her Instagram story, with the question: "Really Important, Help Me Choose D / L", where D stood for death, while L stood for life, according to police.

Some of her followers voted for "death".

Malaysian politicians are demanding an investigation, with the youth minister saying: "I am genuinely worried about the state of our youth's mental health."

The case raises serious questions about the impact of online bullying, and whether technology companies are doing enough to protect vulnerable users.

Wait msian politicians blame Sg for this...

How can ppl vote "D" ? So many sickos out there.

Social media app owners/developers should really step up to stop such nonsense. Not only on extremism.

Turbocharged

Social media platforms is a problem.

I have never really see the value of having all these social media. I see the value of internet, emails, messaging apps, etc...but I have never truly appreciate the value of social media. It is something that I can easily live without. 

I see thru liao.. it's murphy law at play day in day out.

There r those who can live but choose to die whereas those who r dying will choose to live.

The irony of life is really mind boggling at times.

For me, i always tell my frens 活着 matter the most, rest of the stuff is just 过眼云烟 till we depart this life.

How can ppl vote "D" ? So many sickos out there.

Social media app owners/developers should really step up to stop such nonsense. Not only on extremism.

That is the posion of a social media platform.

Is really sickening.

The act of "casting a vote" for another person to take his/her life is very depressing.