Singapore Reckless Drivers part VII

RadX

He checked rear view mirror was cleared but did not expect the other car coming from the next lane, which was in his blind spot. One has to be slow and carefull when filtering out in such a situations . If i have to turn out in the rush, i would rather not making that filtering.

Check rear view mirror so need to check blindspot after mah
  • Praise 1

Yesterday at Orchard Road, a prius taxi did a very quick maneuver in turning out from a shopping centre carpark. So quick that I had worries about whether he would swing into my lane.

I leaned on my horn.

And I've flashed before to signal people to stay out of my way.

No point being shy or trying to be "polite" and then regretting it when an accident occurs. Take prophylactic action, warn and alert others. It's not like Singaporeans are largely receptive to courtesy on the roads anyway. Courtesy can be shown in more meaningful ways like actually letting people in when they've signalled their need to be in your lane etc. (which I also do).

And honking/flashing doesn't obviate the need to drive defensively in the first place, obviously.

The father of the Prius driver should have wore a condom?

:grin:  

• Praise 2

So any car which is at your 1 o clock.. you expect to use your Jedi reflexes to brake if they pull a fast one on you?

no one said anything about jedi reflexes. but to brake 1 second after impact and nothing before impact? come on...

The father of the Prius driver should have wore a condom?

:grin:

Yes. Having good rubber is very important in driving.

:D

IA! IA! Initiate Accident! [laugh]

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtaghn!

:D

• Praise 1

no one said anything about jedi reflexes. but to brake 1 second after impact and nothing before impact? come on...

Sometimes it's better to just move on with life than try so hard to proof your point. So what if he brake 1 second before? Doubt it's enough to avoid the situation competely
  • Praise 2

Won't be surprise it's a 50/50 case as both cars were changing lanes at the same time.

I agree. The golf did check and wait clear, the vezel just nice zoom in when he made his move.

When change lane I turn my head back to sweep not only adjacent lane but lanes, not just use side view mirror which may not capture the everything, especially when your car is tilted. And then sweep front lanes too just before shifting into the other lane. All these can be done comfortably under a second.

And in the case of black car, I sought to not to take things for granted and always give way in such a situation even if the blue car is just slightly in front, almost side by side.

I am lucky I learnt from a close shave instead of physical accident and always practice this driving habit and avoided accidents be it me in black or blue car position.

A car that has tilted its direction of travel means the mirror view has changed, new blindspots created.

I feel the liability lies more on the blue car in this case but both at fault.

Remember if wanna avoid such incidents, drive rhe right way, and not having "right of way" mentality

• Praise 2

When change lane I turn my head back to sweep not only adjacent lane but lanes, not just use side view mirror which may not capture the everything, especially when your car is tilted. And then sweep front lanes too just before shifting into the other lane. All these can be done comfortably under a second.

And in the case of black car, I sought to not to take things for granted and always give way in such a situation even if the blue car is just slightly in front, almost side by side.

I am lucky I learnt from a close shave instead of physical accident and always practice this driving habit and avoided accidents be it me in black or blue car position.

A car that has tilted its direction of travel means the mirror view has changed, new blindspots created.

I feel the liability lies more on the blue car in this case but both at fault.

Remember if wanna avoid such incidents, drive rhe right way, and not having "right of way" mentality

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Yes, turn head check blind spot is very important and i noticed lesser peeps doing this nowadays cos using just the rear view/wing mirrors definitely do not suffice.

I'm esp worry abt those drivers who had those dark magnetic sunshades on their windows, dun even know if they check their blind spot when turning or filtering.

Nothing is more safe than physically turning ur head over to check the sides when u need to turn or change lane.

This also happens frequently on expressway where 2 cars try to filter onto the same lane at the same time.. if accident, the consequences would be more dire.

What about winding down window at suss to give the other guy a lecture?  [:p]

Winding down one's window at a light to ask "What's your problem?" is an act of road rage. One shouldn't expect compliments in return. The truck driver had the choice to just ignore the Audi's antics and move on. He didn't. Both of them are clowns.

You are just driving according to local road conditions. Means you are not road hogging - a good driver.

I felt kind of weird after coming back from driving in Australia for 2 weeks. The drivers there seemed to me to be more accommodating too for newbies / tourists.

Most (if not all) followed the speed limits to the dot, even in areas where the chances of a TP/ speed cam seemed remote. The drivers there seemed to be programmed to adhere to the speed limits than the actual punishments.

Having said all of this, I know the fines / punishment serves as a huge deterrent for the bad drivers and there are certainly a lot of them there too. May be I did not meet/experience any of them due to the nature of our short stay over there.

• Praise 1

Yes, turn head check blind spot is very important and i noticed lesser peeps doing this nowadays cos using just the rear view/wing mirrors definitely do not suffice.

I'm esp worry abt those drivers who had those dark magnetic sunshades on their windows, dun even know if they check their blind spot when turning or filtering.

Nothing is more safe than physically turning ur head over to check the sides when u need to turn or change lane.

Are both of us born in the yr of the Tiger?

Anyway I often have to shift my head in the car, especially making a right turn as the A pillar gives quite a big blindspot.

Turbocharged

tech is pretty advanced now, esp camera tech.

why don't car manufacturers install wide angle cameras into both side mirrors, with the moving image beamed right back to a screen just in front of the driver. i think there is an audi model which replaced side mirrors with cams whereas my idea would be for a cam to complement the existing mirrors.

solves the problem of those drivers who don't bother to check blind spot by turning their heads.

but of course will increase cost of cars.

why don't car manufacturers install wide angle cameras into both side mirrors, with the moving image beamed right back to a screen just in front of the driver. i think there is an audi model which replaced side mirrors with cams whereas my idea would be for a cam to complement the existing mirrors.

solves the problem of those drivers who don't bother to check blind spot by turning their heads.

• Praise 1

I mentioned these a few times on MCF. With advancement in technology, it might make drivers more reliance on sensors, cameras, AI, etc. and indirectly making them more lazy to perform the basic task such as checking for blind spots, keeping high level of alertness when maneuvering, maintaining safety distance, etc.

While use of advanced technology might be a good approach for accident prevention, it SHALL NOT replace a driver's responsibility, NEVER.

In this aspect, it is good to go back to the basic. Try driving a car without say reverse sensors / camera, ABS, power steering, etc. once awhile if available.

• Praise 4

Kia K900 has this neat feature of projecting the blindspot area onto the speedometer display when the turn signals are on. Great idea but if the driver doesn't signal then it's pretty useless..

I mentioned these a few times on MCF. With advancement in technology, it might make drivers more reliance on sensors, cameras, AI, etc. and indirectly making them more lazy to perform the basic task such as checking for blind spots, keeping high level of alertness when maneuvering, maintaining safety distance, etc.

While use of advanced technology might be a good approach for accident prevention, it SHALL NOT replace a driver's responsibility, NEVER.

In this aspect, it is good to go back to the basic. Try driving a car without say reverse sensors / camera, ABS, power steering, etc. once awhile if available.

Yep modern cars are getting too high tech, unfortunately this is the global trend and there's no turning back.. Ironically some people think the lane keep assist is a car defect as it pulls the steering when they didn't expect it to haha

On another note can't imagine parking a phantom without power steering!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1