New shock absorber not comfortable (Tokico)

I just changed 4 shock absorbers (front are Thai made Tokico and rear are japan made original Nissan) for my Nissan Latio. However, I am still feeling that the ride is still not comfortable (can feel every bump on the road). This is the same as before changing the shock absorbers.

Anyone know if this mean the new shock absorbers are not good or is there something else I need to change?

↡ Advertisement

Yeah. Over-inflated tires. Dont tell me you change shock absorbers cos ride not comfortable?

Yes. I change because ride not comfortable and the shock absorbers are 11 years old already.

I am also driving 12 years old COE car. I have upgraded stiffer shocks and added strut bars. Yes I can hear & feel every single small stone that the tires go over but not that bumpy. I have recently replace all engine mount after 11 years but that does not reduce the bumpiness. I have also did sound proofing at both front and back wheel arch and it reduces a lot of road noise. Identified whether discomfort from the car jumping up and down or road noise. 

Did you just change your ride reecently? Actually you need to specify the symptom that causes you to feel uncomfortable and also describe what has been done to your car so that people here can have better judgement. Your ride may be lowered so no matter how many absorbers you change you will still feel bumpy. If your shocks are still good and you changed them, I don't think that will improve the situation. Have your mechanic check through your vehicle and let them advise what is broken. 

I am also driving 12 years old COE car. I have upgraded stiffer shocks and added strut bars. Yes I can hear & feel every single small stone that the tires go over but not that bumpy. I have recently replace all engine mount after 11 years but that does not reduce the bumpiness. I have also did sound proofing at both front and back wheel arch and it reduces a lot of road noise. Identified whether discomfort from the car jumping up and down or road noise.

Just change car mate.

Yes. I change because ride not comfortable and the shock absorbers are 11 years old already.

TS check your bushings too.

You feel anything wrong with your handling or not?  Your steering...consistent?  You should be able to feel all these through your hands.

:)

My suspensions leak and bushing gone, now awaiting replacement.  It is not a pleasant ride at the moment.

Recently changed all 4 shock absorbers, rotated and balanced the tyres for my old Teana J32.

Feels quite stable at higher speed (90kmlh) on MCE, AYE expressway but could still feel the car wobble at low speed (e.g. 20km/h) at Basement 2 carpark of Suntec Convention Center.  Tyre pressure is 230kPa.

Haven't done wheel alignment yet. What could be the issue?

This heavy car was towed before, I am beginning to suspect if towing could have caused some physical stress to the car?

Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Do new shock absorbers and springs need time to settle-in after installation?  Seems that it gets slightly better over time.

Only a bit. Should settle within 100-200km

• Praise 2

On 12/27/2020 at 10:17 AM, Albeniz said:

Recently changed all 4 shock absorbers, rotated and balanced the tyres for my old Teana J32.

Feels quite stable at higher speed (90kmlh) on MCE, AYE expressway but could still feel the car wobble at low speed (e.g. 20km/h) at Basement 2 carpark of Suntec Convention Center.  Tyre pressure is 230kPa.

Haven't done wheel alignment yet. What could be the issue?

This heavy car was towed before, I am beginning to suspect if towing could have caused some physical stress to the car?

the absorber provided by u or the ws?

if provided by ws , go find them and test drive with their boss or mech loh.

if not maybe can try put 4  spring stiffener

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 1