Death penalty an effective deterrent

kobayashiGT

It seems many tend to believe that drug abuser is a menace to the society and i agreed, but its a minority.

Many turns to crime to feed their urge for drugs if not, the abuser will suffer "cold turkey" withdrawer and become violent  ..... [:(]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

yes, with death penalty imposed, it will let people think and think and think again and again...before they decided to commit some irreversible crimes.

death penalty is a best effective deterrent tool so far, we do not want our society to be like those in the west with free flow of drugs in every corners, gun shot all over the place...

we are the international air travel transit hub, can you imagine how our society will become if we do not impose death penalty on those drug traffickers.

Supercharged

when discussing death penalty, it seems that people always associate with drug related offenses.

don't forget cases such as kidnapping also warrant death penalty. and that had shown to be a rather effective deterrent here.

• Praise 7

when discussing death penalty, it seems that people always associate with drug related offenses.

don't forget cases such as kidnapping also warrant death penalty. and that had shown to be a rather effective deterrent here.

For such cases, it takes few years before one happen out of a blue moon .... -_-

Same for firearm cases, death penalty and seldom heard of such cases in SG.

In MY never hear of gun robbery is very weird  ... :dizzy:

Drugs is a daily affair .... [sweatdrop]

Hypersonic

For such cases, it takes few years before one happen out of a blue moon .... -_-

Same for firearm cases, death penalty and seldom heard of such cases in SG.

In MY never hear of gun robbery is very weird  ... :dizzy:

Drugs is a daily affair .... [sweatdrop]

one of my ang moh kaki in US once told me, it is easier to get drugs than to get counterfeits there.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

one of my ang moh kaki in US once told me, it is easier to get drugs than to get counterfeits there.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

You mean 'kay' ang mo ..... [sly]  

Those that dye their hair in blonde ... :huh:

:XD:

Turbocharged

Just have to look at Philippine.... imagine our street are fill with drugs abuser.. and backlane of Geylang no wild chicken, but group of fella high on drugs... nay... just hang the farker... they know the law in Singapore... just that they think they can beat the system... never get caught, laughing all the way to the bank despite how many life were destroy.... kena caught, cry father cry mother, promise will be good in future, regret their action, will be messenger of God to teach others...blah blah blah... knn...

Hypersonic

There won't be traffickers if capital punishment is really effective as a deterrent.

Drug abusers should be hanged alongside the traffickers since both are part of the supply chain. Parents of abusers should be jailed since they failed to educate their children and want to pin the blame on suppliers. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Legalise drug use and the underground market will collapse.

Depends on how far u want to go with it.

Legalising drug usage (hard drugs, not just marijuana) doesn't mean drug abuse goes away. 

Portugal's drug usage rates didn't drop.  Heroin usage is the same. Just that deaths dropped.

Legalising marijuana in multiple USA states (i think currently just below 20), only made the cartels in south america double down on fentanyl and heroin. The cartels are still there. Then the question is should u legalise meth, heroin, cocaine, fentanyl.

Fentanyl can kill anyone in just a slight overdose. Accidental or not.

So do u want those drugs running around? The public has to accept it first. Frankly, here in singapore, social acceptance will be far, cos whatever the naysayers say in the west. Drug abuse rates here are a tiny fraction of those in the West.

Different perspectives regarding drugs and addiction. 

Ed Calderon. Someone who was a Tijuana policeman for 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llhb2ymtsw8

Johann Hari, author of Lost connections

- who is pro-legalisation of drugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDpjvFn4wgM

There's another podcast on about this British guy who works as a journalist in Mexico. Can't find it offhand, forgot his name.

Hypersonic

I'm against death penalty as my values and religion tells me that no human can put another human to death no matter what he did as only God can decide when you die, period. Perhaps it's not the way of the World.

Anyway, religion aside; can we honestly say the death penalty has put a stop to the various crimes like drug trafficking, murder etc? These crimes continue to be in our midst so I don't agree that it has been an effective deterrent as it has been made out to be, my 2 cents.......  

I think it's an effective deterrence in drug trafficking.

Any singaporean can tell u, carrying drugs into singapore over an amount = death.

I think even the mostly lowly educated adult in singapore can tell you that. 

It's about as close as to don't bring a revolver or handgun into singapore. Cos = death.

The kidnapping law, maybe not as many people, but after the SS boss mother, surely the people's collective memory has refreshed since the 70s...

Such a pervasive social "norm" here in Singapore must have an effect on the people. No law or ruling can be 100%. 

A large proportion of deaths due to human on human violence are without pre-mediation. Crimes of passion. 

Kidnapping and drug trafficking would probably correlate more closely. Both are mostly motivated by financial gain.

Hypersonic

I've always noticed that in Singapore, maybe cos we are more materialistic?, as a society, we tend to have not so much hardcore abusing of drugs/alcohol ...

In western societies, alcoholism is a huge problem. Let's even just leave soft or hard drugs out of the issue.

Drunks are so common in Emergency departments that at least 30-40% (underestimation) of Emergency visits there are by drunks.  Here got, but nowhere close.

Similarly hard drinking by the North Asians put us to shame anytime.

Hardcore alcoholism in SG is there, but really quite low compared to other even comparable societies here in Asia.

I don't think we are more happy or content than them at least on global indices.

Is our expensive alcohol tax to blame? Could be ... Of course having 15% of the population who doesn't drink alcohol also help.

Turbocharged
(edited)

I've always noticed that in Singapore, maybe cos we are more materialistic?, as a society, we tend to have not so much hardcore abusing of drugs/alcohol ...

In western societies, alcoholism is a huge problem. Let's even just leave soft or hard drugs out of the issue.

Drunks are so common in Emergency departments that at least 30-40% (underestimation) of Emergency visits there are by drunks.  Here got, but nowhere close.

Similarly hard drinking by the North Asians put us to shame anytime.

Hardcore alcoholism in SG is there, but really quite low compared to other even comparable societies here in Asia.

I don't think we are more happy or content than them at least on global indices.

Is our expensive alcohol tax to blame? Could be ... Of course having 15% of the population who doesn't drink alcohol also help.

Times are changing, and I think among the youth, hard drinking is becoming a trend. It's an urbanisation thing. There's really nothing much to do after hours besides eating and drinking. No hobbies in our cramped flats, no alternative recreation activity to occupy the time.

Of course, taxation and high alcoholic drink prices are a deterrent vs. cheap booze available overseas. That's why in addition the authorities are curbing the drinking problem by setting hours for sales and public drinking. Same overseas, I find the laws in UK very tight concerning public consumption of even a beer, but not sure how strictly they enforce.

15%?? You sure? [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria

Hypersonic

Times are changing, and I think among the youth, hard drinking is becoming a trend. It's an urbanisation thing. There's really nothing much to do after hours besides eating and drinking. No hobbies in our cramped flats, no alternative recreation activity to occupy the time.

Of course, taxation and high alcoholic drink prices are a deterrent vs. cheap booze available overseas. That's why in addition the authorities are curbing the drinking problem by setting hours for sales and public drinking. Same overseas, I find the laws in UK very tight concerning public consumption of even a beer, but not sure how strictly they enforce.

15%?? You sure? [laugh]

Muslims don't drink. There are some that drink but usually when they are younger and in secret.

There are a lot of the population that doesn't drink actually. Especially women.

15%?? You sure? [laugh]

I think not really leh.

With social media and forums and internet in general, it's easier to find weird hobbies enthusiasts.

It's like the spinning pens club. How many non-schooling people like to spin pens, but u can somehow gather enough people in SG to spin pens together  [laugh]

Turbocharged

Depends on how far u want to go with it.

Legalising drug usage (hard drugs, not just marijuana) doesn't mean drug abuse goes away. 

Portugal's drug usage rates didn't drop.  Heroin usage is the same. Just that deaths dropped.

Legalising marijuana in multiple USA states (i think currently just below 20), only made the cartels in south america double down on fentanyl and heroin. The cartels are still there. Then the question is should u legalise meth, heroin, cocaine, fentanyl.

Fentanyl can kill anyone in just a slight overdose. Accidental or not.

So do u want those drugs running around? The public has to accept it first. Frankly, here in singapore, social acceptance will be far, cos whatever the naysayers say in the west. Drug abuse rates here are a tiny fraction of those in the West.

Different perspectives regarding drugs and addiction. 

Ed Calderon. Someone who was a Tijuana policeman for 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llhb2ymtsw8

Johann Hari, author of Lost connections

- who is pro-legalisation of drugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDpjvFn4wgM

There's another podcast on about this British guy who works as a journalist in Mexico. Can't find it offhand, forgot his name.

People with average intelligence know drugs are generally not good for the human body except maybe the occasional bong hit. So if people want to waste their lives away then so be it. It's very much the same as alcohol abuse. Or smoking. You can educate but you cannot eradicate and that I agree with you.

Pinning the blame on traffickers is just a low blow. Take personal responsibility for the s h i t you created. As far as I see it, the abusers are very much to blame and in fact more so than the traffickers. As usual people want to blame others for their shortcomings. I can never understand the much abused statement "wait till your child falls prey to drugs". Well if my child falls prey to drugs then it's my own fault for not teaching him properly!

Supersonic

People with average intelligence know drugs are generally not good for the human body except maybe the occasional bong hit. So if people want to waste their lives away then so be it. It's very much the same as alcohol abuse. Or smoking. You can educate but you cannot eradicate and that I agree with you.

Pinning the blame on traffickers is just a low blow. Take personal responsibility for the s h i t you created. As far as I see it, the abusers are very much to blame and in fact more so than the traffickers. As usual people want to blame others for their shortcomings. I can never understand the much abused statement "wait till your child falls prey to drugs". Well if my child falls prey to drugs then it's my own fault for not teaching him properly!

Great if death sentence for drug abusers as well.

Think the severity rest more on traffickers rather than users or abusers is 2 aspects:

1. Supply. Trafficker are middlemen or sometimes wholesalers in the trade and knows the source to go to. Abusers do not.

2. Reach. Like marketing. Traffickers are able to reach more abusers or users at any one time compared to an individual user who mostly get drugs for own consumption.

Abusers die their own business and rightful desserts. Who made sure they can be fed regularly? If users can resist and reform, that's the best, traffickers will die a natural death from no demand. But its not going to happen. Hence, this group and masterminds must face the greater weight of helping to feed this harmful habit.

Its addiction intensity for want of a word, are far more potent than alcohol and cigarettes. Alcohol u can drink so much and knock off drunk to sleep. Ciggy u can smoke so much till u go to sleep. Drugs u cant sleep. U just hibernate between worlds of make believe and reality.

A living death. I personally saw a young man with so much potential addicted to drugs that he once told me he hasn't slept for a week. A skeleton and so damaged from the young healthy man he once was. Without drugs he's in pain. With drugs he's in hell.

Haiz. I am for death to traffickers who i hold more accountability for ensuring these remain in this state of living death for money. They and their bosses heck care. Its a business to them. Money is their conscience. Sons and daughters turning to crimes or prostitution is not their concern. You just make sure u have money for what they sell.

Just sharing.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Blame the abusers? We do here in Sg and asia. In Singapore, We detain them, get them cold turkey during detainment then get then to come in for repeated tests over few months.

Nobody gives the druggies here in Sg a free pass.

Thaksin did a war on drugs. Duterte did one. Both went overboard with questionable results and questionable deaths. Going against both pushers and abusers.

If seems for countries where drugs r endemic and its a hardscrabble life, an all out zero tolerance approach may not work.

In Singapore, so far going against the traffickers and abusers has yielded decent results. Public supports strong action against both including death penalty.

Of course, smuggling things in/out of a small island nation is tougher than most other countries (other than mas selamat).

Turbocharged

Blame the abusers? We do here in Sg and asia. In Singapore, We detain them, get them cold turkey during detainment then get then to come in for repeated tests over few months.

Nobody gives the druggies here in Sg a free pass.

Thaksin did a war on drugs. Duterte did one. Both went overboard with questionable results and questionable deaths. Going against both pushers and abusers.

If seems for countries where drugs r endemic and its a hardscrabble life, an all out zero tolerance approach may not work.

In Singapore, so far going against the traffickers and abusers has yielded decent results. Public supports strong action against both including death penalty.

Of course, smuggling things in/out of a small island nation is tougher than most other countries (other than mas selamat).

That is rehabilitation not blame. If you wanna blame then impose the same punishment as traffickers.

Hypersonic

That is rehabilitation not blame. If you wanna blame then impose the same punishment as traffickers.

That might hit a bit too close to home. Lol.