Mahathir proposes new regional currency based on gold

Blueray

Malaysian PM Mahathir proposes new regional currency based on gold

TOKYO: Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad on Thursday (May 30) proposed to create a new “special currency” for the region based on gold, replacing the existing currency trading regime.

Speaking at a dialogue session at the 25th International Conference on The Future of Asia (Nikkei Conference), he claimed that a regional currency based on gold would be more stable.

The prime minister said that by pegging the new currency to gold, it could be used to evaluate the import and export activities among East Asian countries.

“We can make settlement using that (new) currency. That currency must be pegged to the local currency as the exchange rate, which is something that can be related to the country’s performance,” he said.

“That way we know how much we owe, how much we have to pay in the special currency of East Asia."

The new currency could also be extended to countries outside East Asia, he said.

Dr Mahathir noted that the global market is now tied to the US dollar, and this makes the currency prone to manipulation.

“Just because that one country is affected, there is infection to the other countries. Malaysia was very stable way back in 1997 (during the Asian financial crisis) ... but because of the problem occurring in Thailand, they said we must peg the Malaysian currency (to the US dollar),” he recounted.

“What happened? The currency traders sold the Malaysian currency and the value of Malaysian currency depreciated.”

“This currency trading is not something that is healthy because it is not about the (economic) performance of countries but it is about manipulation.”

When asked if the Japanese yen or Chinese yuan could be used as the common currency in the region, the prime minister replied: “If we are trying to promote our own currency, there will be conflict."

“But if we have a common currency for East Asia, a common trading currency that is not used in each country but for the purpose of settlement trade only, then there will be stability,” he said.

“Trying to promote the yen or the yuan is not the way to go.”

US SHOULD STOP LABELLING OTHER COUNTRIES: MAHATHIR

Earlier this week, the United States added Malaysia to a watchlist of trading partners for currency practices, citing its foreign exchange intervention operations.

Malaysia’s central bank has refuted the claim. In a statement on Wednesday, it said the Malaysian economy remains resilient, underpinned by strong economic fundamentals, including the flexibility accorded by a floating exchange rate and strong external balance.

"Malaysia supports free and fair trade, and does not practise unfair currency practices," it said.

Other countries, including Singapore, China, Germany, Japan, South Korea and Vietnam were also added to the list.

On Thursday, Dr Mahathir hit out at the US for “labelling countries”.

“The US is fond of labelling that country is no good, this country is no good and telling countries on ways to conduct their business,” he said.

“You are not democratic. That is not for any single power to decide. If you want to live in a united world, stable world, we must resort to sustainability through agreement between all nations that have a stake in that problem."

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/malaysia-mahathir-new-regional-currency-gold-11579422

so is Dr M going kee chiu and spearhead the new regional currency ?  :that-dood-is-up-to-something: 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic
(edited)

What a good idea by my BFF.

I suggest to name the new currency

MCoin.  [thumbsup]

:D

Multi

Currency

opportunity

investment

notes

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Gosh. Haha then who's going to decide the exchange rate of your own currency to the new artifical east Asian dollar?

The main reason why there's Greece, Portugal debt crisis etc is cos of the Euro!

• Praise 3

Old fox ... ð instead of saying rmb .. he say Gold.

US labelled Malaysia as a currency manipulator last week.....i wont be surprised if this is the way Atok is trying to get back at US....

Hypersonic
(edited)

What a good idea by my BFF.

I suggest to name the new currency

MCoin.  [thumbsup]

Multi

Currency

opportunity

investment

notes

My BFF saw my post and he suggested

MAHcoin

Multi-nation

Alternative

Hedging

Currency

opportunity

investment

notes

Edited by Jamesc

Hypersonic

Gosh. Haha then who's going to decide the exchange rate of your own currency to the new artifical east Asian dollar?

The main reason why there's Greece, Portugal debt crisis etc is cos of the Euro!

If what you are saying is joining the Euro is the cause of Greece, Portugal

then do you suggest Greece and Portugal leave the Euro?

Grexit and PortuGo?

Hypersonic
(edited)

My BFF says the new regional currency MAHcoin

should be based in the country in the middle of SEA.

He suggest this country.

Malaysia_Map_Asia.jpg

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 5

It is fiscal mismanagement la.

For Greece, i think Goldman Sach even help them to make some of these debts off-balance sheet.  Once it is on balance sheet, karboomz.

Hypersonic

My BFF says the new regional currency MAHcoin

should be based in the country in the middle of SEA.

He suggest this country.

Malaysia_Map_Asia.jpg

Ha ha ha !! Long live Madhatter and his real BFF Soros
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

My BFF Dr just called me up and said he is worried people might think

MAHcoin is named after him. He said its not true and as its based on gold.

Metal

Alternative

Hedging

currency 

opportunity

investment

notes.

• Praise 3

Twincharged

This time round is a little but different, he proposed that is pagged to gold. Actually its a good idea, coz pagged to gold, no need to depend on usd and then usd goes up or down, print a lot of money will also not affect us. In long run is better for economy.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

A crook is a crook la. Old mad hatter up to his tricks.

Must look at facts, try not to be too fast to judge based on past experience. Sometimes even if one is a crook, however the one comment may actually make very good sense, then use it la. Crook or no crook, as long as it benefits everyone, why not?

Edited by Yewheng