More beneficial to learn a skill than to count on degree?

Lethalstrike

Turbocharged

Well if it is of any comfort to TS, I have been laid off 2 times before turning 40s....

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Have an ex colleague that got laid off years ago.

Till now she is giving piano lessons at home and looks from her fb page she's doing quite okay.

Her students are taking grading exams from the UK AMBRSM even.

This is another option but I believe u need to have the certs to begin teaching.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Let's say you're in your late 40s, degree holder, management role, still have 2 schooling kids, sole bread winner for the family. One fine day kanna retrenched. Still need to put food on the table, drive Grab / Taxi to make ends meet.

I know that the usual response to the above is that by 40s, he should have set aside a sum of money for such situations and he should also be able to tap on his network of work contacts to secure another role.

Let's assume that this person took time to develop a tradesman skill a few years back (cooking, electrician, plumber, hair dressing etc), will it put him in a better situation to start a small business on his own to earn a livelihood?

In Singapore, assuming you're a rank and file office goon, once you are asked to leave during your late 40s or 50s, the chances of you getting a similar role back is close to nil anyway.

The idea of developing a skillset in a right one, but please develop a high income skillset.  Please don't go develop a trademen skillset.....I mean do you really want to labour  5-10 jobs a day under a sink  being a plumber when you go into your 50s and 60s? Or drive 10 hours a day caging inside a car just to make some money? When one is retrench, they should be telling themselves that the opportunity for a better life is here. 

What are high income skillset that doesn't need another degree or doctorate? They are usually these:

- Skillset that help to sell high ticket things. - Closing skillset , copywriting skillset, funnel building skillset, etc

- Skillset that helps others make money or generate leads - Marketing/Investing skillset

- Skillset that teaches others something that's high value- Consultants/Trainers/Coach

- Skillset that build influencers - Content building skillset such as writers, video editors, graphic designers, etc

In any of the above job, your renumeration is often many times your effort.........and often pay more than your old job. You do not wait to get retrench and then choose a simple way by being a driver or a plumber because you are force to put food on the table. You start developing any of the above skillset when you are still in your job. I know one of my ex HR colleague who got into her own business by coaching people how to find a job that they want. She coaches them on resume, linkedin profile writing, interview skills, etc.....and she earns much  more than her old job.

It is good to think about running your own business on your own terms, but think of a high income skillset. 

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 5

Turbocharged

Having the academic qualification with the right skill probably is the answer. You don't want to be a skill worker your entire life if possible. That means 'work till you die' because we don't have retirement in Singapore. 

Any plumber minister? I read plumber seem to be regarded as highly skilled. 

(edited)

you got skill, work hard 10hrs per day, most make $5k/mth

you got degree/master/phd, work smart TCSS and kiss boss ass, make $25k/mth and easily parachute to Director position ...

then you assign people got skill to work hard for you [sly]

that’s the hard truth

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

Having the academic qualification with the right skill probably is the answer. You don't want to be a skill worker your entire life if possible. That means 'work till you die' because we don't have retirement in Singapore.

Any plumber minister? I read plumber seem to be regarded as highly skilled.

Plumber/electrician cannot be replaced by robots (yet).. Many other jobs (investing, resume writing, even medical diagnosis... etc) already easily performed by AI.
  • Praise 5

(edited)

true that plumber and electrician job is not 100% replaced yet but their skill and workmanship is also greatly reduced

i have seen an office and home carpentry works completed in 2 days which need at least 2 weeks in the old days

the skill also easily attain and done by bangla and prc with little training

all materials come in pre-fab to fit all kind of shape and sizes

simply assemble and glue ...

for plumber and electrician ... now many things are FMCG

spoilt simply replace new ... swap out and plug in

the amount of skill required from them is minimal

nobody really fix things now

the guy mainly know how to install the thing follow the instruction manual with a couple of training in office

Edited by Wt_know

Turbocharged

Plumber/electrician cannot be replaced by robots (yet).. Many other jobs (investing, resume writing, even medical diagnosis... etc) already easily performed by AI.

Think about it this way. A fast food chain will never replace a good restaurant and a food vending machine will never replace a fast food chain.

AI, apps, online portals, etc will provide convenience, but they will never replace a full service experience that is needed by certain customers.

As income rises and people get more affluent, they want the experience and not just the convenience. So if one is truly good in his trade, I don't think he needs to worry about being replace by AI

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

40 yrs old still pretty young in the workforce. if he has the experience, why wouldn't a company employ him?

Turbocharged

40 yrs old still pretty young in the workforce. if he has the experience, why wouldn't a company employ him?

I guess alot of company looking at ROI.. say hiring pilots... you will train those in the early 20s than even say 30s...

even my company "Fast" track program they looking at early 30s... 

Hard Truth..

Turbocharged

Do be too proud to do dirty and oily jobs.

If you don't mind getting your hands wet can be a massage therapists like me.

If you are homosenual can choose just to massage men.

:D

pls impart ur skillset and recommend the overflow cust to me

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

skill future 500 can go on course  :slow:

hearsay all XMM SYT trainers  :inlove:

Can use skill future for WSQ courses

:D

WSQ Provide Full-Body Massage with Oil

75f98a_276c9da5455f4ef0bba0269c8e8b96ba-

FUNDING – WDA FUNDING IS AVAILABLE.  SKILLS FUTURE CREDIT CAN BE UTILISED FOR THIS WSQ COURSE

New Class                WSQ Provide Full-Body Massage With Oil Evening – 24/6 to 16/8 – Mon & Wed, 7pm to 10pm Afternoon – 23/7 to 26/9 – Tue & Thu, 2pm to 5pm

Assessment: Theory (Oral) and Practical (must pass Both required assessments to obtain SOA)

I always pass the oral but do better on the hands on.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

How many plumbers and electricians graduated compare to doctors and lawyers already set the supply and demand limit liao. Why not limit the supply of plumber leh.

How many plumbers and electricians graduated compare to doctors and lawyers already set the supply and demand limit liao. Why not limit the supply of plumber leh.

Plumber not limited, cos no MP/minister is a plumber....
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2