More beneficial to learn a skill than to count on degree?

Lethalstrike

(edited)

The reason PHV are so rampant with seemingly minimal control is a cop out by the existing government of their responsibility to build an economy that will provide a full time career (notice I don't use the term 'job') for Singaporeans.

Bring in hoards of low end FW to fill up menial and service line related jobs that they say Singaporeans shun.

Bring in hoards of low end FT to fill up IT related jobs that they say Singaporeans are not skilled enough.

Brings in hoards of high end FT on obscene expat packages to fill up management jobs that they say Singaporeans are not good enough.

those that are lucky are hanging onto their dear life in the middle rung...thanking their lucky stars they have not been displaced...yet.

So where do all those displaced Singaporeans end up? PHV and food delivery gigs.

On paper, this year we are only 0.1% point worse off in employment figures. If we really want to drill into the semantics and figure massaging, we know the numbers would have looked much worse without the gig economy to prop it up.

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

The reason PHV are so rampant with seemingly minimal control is a cop out by the existing government of their responsibility to build an economy that will provide a full time career (notice I don't use the term 'job') for Singaporeans.

Bring in hoards of low end FW to fill up menial and service line related jobs that they say Singaporeans shun.

Bring in hoards of low end FT to fill up IT related jobs that they say Singaporeans are not skilled enough.

Brings in hoards of high end FT on obscene expat packages to fill up management jobs that they say Singaporeans are not good enough.

those that are lucky are hanging onto their dear life in the middle rung...thanking their lucky stars they have not been displaced...yet.

So where do all those displaced Singaporeans end up? PHV and food delivery gigs.

On paper, this year we are only 0.1% point worse off in employment figures. If we really want to drill into the semantics and figure massaging, we know the numbers would have looked much worse without the gig economy to prop it up.

I have taken phv quite often and it's my observation that people who drive phv like to be their own boss in control of their own time and whether they wanna work or not.

I think quite a number will be a poor fit for full time career if they hold on to that mentality. It'd be tough to hold on to a job if you cannot stand someone giving you orders, working with others, or even turning up for work regularly.

In that sense it's good that the phv revolution gives them a choice to avoid all the things they shun in a full time career, yet still gives a decent salary.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1

Now with the upcoming ERP 2.0 to charge by the distance, PHV drivers might be worse off than before.

I have taken phv quite often and it's my observation that people who drive phv like to be their own boss in control of their own time and whether they wanna work or not.

I think quite a number will be a poor fit for full time career if they hold on to that mentality. It'd be tough to hold on to a job if you cannot stand someone giving you orders, working with others, or even turning up for work regularly.

In that sense it's good that the phv revolution gives them a choice to avoid all the things they shun in a full time career, yet still gives a decent salary.

contrary to popular belief, IT staff from certain asian country are still sashaying in like Divas at 10.30 and knocking off work at 730 after the boss leave the office just to appear hardworking 

In fact most after office calls that I listen into are about cricket and when the people are coming over to Sg.

• Praise 1

Once they go PHV route , most will not want to work for anyone anymore..

Own time own target , nobody ka jiao ..

Minimal expectations..

If this continues , I’m worried for the future generations..

• Praise 5

Supersonic

Teksi driver job has been around for decades

How is phv driver any different?

Hypersonic
(edited)

My friend told me if have the 四子 then it is very stressful for those in the situation that TS mentioned.

车子 房子 孩子 妻子

Yes, got a specialized skill is better than a degree nowadays...haiz.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Thatâs why I tell the young ones with a diploma, start work first, gain experience and add to your job experience and contact base

Paper comes later

That said , that dafttrue has truth in things he said but I wun go down the path that he took to run people down saying, stubborn, etc

I would offer resistance to change and that they are comfy and unwilling to relearn

So to that dumbfark, I say again, you engage me and try and malign me thru Pm. Grow some EQ for farks sake and dun think you are gods given to teach others

@alfalove

That means you

Open a studio or do freelance

You not into drones? Landscape and the works is a growing area

Iâm approaching 50 but I fear not as I have contingency plans to tide me well into my years

Sake? U drink sake meh?

It is only more beneficial to learn a skill than to count on degree only if u graduated from some of the 2nd or 3rd rated universities around the world. If u graduated from some of the top universities around the world with a decent degree. It will beats a skill hands down anyday.

I have friends that graduated from Ivy league universities and they have no problem finding jobs with high starting salaries easily commanding 3k-8k. On the other hand, i have many friends that graduated from lesser known universities that cannot even land a decent job.

So my take is if u r unable to get into the top universities, you are better off starting work early or acquiring a skill. Sorry to say the degree you spend years acquiring is no different from the average diploma or A level personnel.

To sum it up, if ur unable to get into a reasonably good university after ur poly or a level, u are better off going into working life. Get a part time degree later in ur life only if the company u r at requires u to do so.

PS :  This comparison between degree and skill only means the initial phase. Some of those that acquires skill might goes on to become their own boss and earn big buck. Similarly some of those that have a better headstart in their career might end up mediocore in the later half of their life.

• Praise 1

(edited)

well said [thumbsup]

graduate from tok kong uni means the red carpet is rolled out

whether can climb depends on individual

no degree ... must have skill

and if boss look up on you ... chop chop get a part time degree

hr die die must see degree in order to promote to senior management level

spend years to chase ah beng ah seng uni degree is worthless and waste time

else why would prc spend millions to bribe their way for their kid to enroll Harvard and Stanford ... [sly]

Edited by Wt_know

Turbocharged
(edited)

Make sure you have:

(1) Super talent

(2) work Super hard

(3) Super skills

(4) non sporean

To be footballer ..

(5) then Tok kong agent

(6) good looking

(7) injury free

Edited by BenTong

(edited)

My friend told me if have the åå­ then it is very stressful for those in the situation that TS mentioned.

è½¦å­ æ¿å­ å­©å­ å¦»å­

Yes, got a specialized skill is better than a degree nowadays...haiz.

Agree. But 车子 can live without, 房子 can live with smaller size, 孩子and 妻子are important, when one's financial and job security is in a difficult situation, one needs to change, embrace, accept and adapt, hurt truth but there is no other easier way out.

Back to the thread header, I think having a degree as a basic backing is good, next then go learn some skills as a backup.

Some careers are still good, so a degree is important. But some industries or trades are also niche that can be self operated as a self employed person, there is no general rules to say what is better. Look at the top notch CEO and top notch tow key, they are all doing well, but how easy to be there ? One needs to ask what he wants in life again, in a very realistic manner. key is dont give up, keep thinking and exploring.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

I think it will be tough to do that. Most of the simple stuff might not need a plumber.

Actually air-con servicing is something that can be considered. Just simple cleaning + whatever chemical wash nonsense. Repairs might be out.

Must start DIY first.

My kitchen sink pipe leaks before.I do it myself and is been more than 3yrs still fine.

My home air con all the while service and wash myself.Use chemical same like those air con technican.

Air con pipe choke and water leak also done it myself.

False ceiling drop down also fix it up myself.lol...

• Praise 1

wah ... steady la

i need fixer for my pipe, aircon and false ceiling ... lol

Must start DIY first.

My kitchen sink pipe leaks before.I do it myself and is been more than 3yrs still fine.

My home air con all the while service and wash myself.Use chemical same like those air con technican.

Air con pipe choke and water leak also done it myself.

False ceiling drop down also fix it up myself.lol...

• Praise 1

(edited)

Go take a crash course on debating and how to confront a problem head on

Comes in handy When you happens to meet a young French punk who thinks he is a God send from his country to Singapore and starts questioning you 6 times on a single question thinking he got you cornered , he just trying to piss you off or he has so much adrenaline rush that he dont even knows what the cock he trying to say cos at the back of his mind, he thinks he knows better and is more superior than asian

You can stay cool and collected and rebut him that you have answered his question and he's the one that cant get the answer into his empty head.

Piece of shit work

Btw, learn your own dialect, so that you can fook him off while smiling like you liked him

Edited by Staff69
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1