Ho Ching seriously considering nuclear plant in SG

Lethalstrike

Turbocharged

A nuclear meltdown is too big a risk to take, however small the probability.

SG is just too small, seas included.

Like our water sufficiency strategy, we have to keep picking on it till the right tech comes along.

Possibility of having the Riau Islands/ Batam /Johor becoming independent and working with us is higher, and we should work on those instead.

you sound just like...

post-72182-0-79047000-1561016854.png

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

If you did not understand the original context of my post, that's fine.

Answering my questions with more questions seem like a familiar tactic when there is no more debate to be had.

Have a good day :D

Did I say it will be a complete self sustainable food source? 

Did i mention it will be enough to feed the targeted 10 million? 

Are you sure there are no more plans for local farming coming? 

Did you mention " Singapore is not self sustainable and will forever be at the mercy of others"?  Are you very sure "forever"? 

Do you know where our different sources come from? 

Do you know what food came from which source? 

Do you know why are vegetables and fishes such a priority over meat of any kind? 

Edited by Beehive3783
  • Praise 1

From the many responses here, it's clear that the majority are against the idea, questioning the safety of the technology, the competency of the people managing it and the efficacy of the contingency plans. For those who are supporting it, the core reason is we can finally be self sufficient, no longer be at the mercy of others for our energy needs.

I'm also against it judging from the numerous major risks, and I'm not sure if having a nuclear plant in Singapore is actually doing good or harm for the next generations.

Given a choice, and if there are good choices to choose from, I dont think anyone will want a time bomb right at their door step. 

Nuclear is just one of the option, those whom did not object,  we are just not writing it off totally and say no we cannot do it. I say its an option, we can keep that option open and monitor it, doesnt mean we have to start building it tomorrow. 

Like someone mention, building nuclear plant is not a 3-5 years project, its takes a long time to build, not to mention how long the planning will take, and  the reaction of our neighbors will make it complex too. 

At the rate technology moves, there is no telling that there  mayb a new form of energy discover or develop within the next 10 years. 

In any case, suppose we build the plant, and it blow up one day, it is not only you die I die everybody die. Likely a big part of SEA will disappear, so your child, my kids will all also disappear, almost nobody will be left behind to tell what safety is.  

In making a decision, we just have to balance it out and see which side is heavier. There is no right or wrong answer, only the best solution given that circumference.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

If you did not understand the original context of my post, that's fine.

Answering my questions with more questions seem like a familiar tactic when there is no more debate to be had.

Have a good day :D

If you do not have any answer thats perfectly fine. 

Black cat white cat, the one can catch a mice is a good cat. 

You have a good day too.. :D

For those who dont know anything about our local food circumferences, but pretend to know base on dinosaur knowledge, FYI things has changed. 

Together with 2 partners, we recently set up a test bed for aquaponics farming, and have spoken to AVA with great details, we will test bed for 1 year before we decide if will go in with full investment. We are properly one of  the very few entity here to be given 2 farming licence as one because there is no licence for aquaponics currently. 

As  far as food is concern, its  all  about technology now. 

That is about so much I want to share.   [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

For those who dont know anything about our local food circumferences, but pretend to know base on dinosaur knowledge, FYI things has changed.

Together with 2 partners, we recently set up a test bed for aquaponics farming, and have spoken to AVA with great details, we will test bed for 1 year before we decide if will go in with full investment. We are properly one of the very few entity here to be given 2 farming licence as one because there is no licence for aquaponics currently.

As far as food is concern, its all about technology now.

That is about so much I want to share. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

This is part of the master plan

We know abt it.. skillssets that match to future needs

ITM

• Praise 1

This is part of the master plan

We know abt it.. skillssets that match to future needs

ITM

glad you know what is happening. 

Send you some organic produces when its time to harvest... [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

U know what the world's leading research facility has done to cause momentary fusion? 

It takes the power required to power a city of few million people and zap it at a point in a discharge so violent that it creates something that's measurable on a seismograph.

Nuclear is the way to go. But is it the Singapore way ... dunno man.

post-72182-0-86615600-1561019477.jpg

For a start...maybe SG can consider buying a few Nimitz class carrier.....just park outside changi airport...the excess power can pump into the grid during peace time and the deck can use for F30 take off and landing......other than high upfront cost and maintenance....don't see much issue since US has been using it for decades liao...what is the big fuss for Nuclear power? Ironman has one on his chess leh [:p]

Those nuclear carriers are ancient tech

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-a-f/china-nuclear-power.aspx

15 reactors under construction. They are also trying to help some countries build them in the belt and road projects.

Actually in the west also, they are trying to build more reactors in Europe. Japan says they want to shut down reactors after fukushima.

But in reality, almost all the reactors slated for shutdown are still operating. Cos its reality...

Turbocharged

For a start...maybe SG can consider buying a few Nimitz class carrier.....just park outside changi airport...the excess power can pump into the grid during peace time and the deck can use for F30 take off and landing......other than high upfront cost and maintenance....don't see much issue since US has been using it for decades liao...what is the big fuss for Nuclear power? Ironman has one on his chess leh [:p]

Cannot lar.... one accident or some of our friendly neighbour decided to blow it up... really become Sinkgapore... the survival really need to retire at Batam.... the KBW will tell u, I told u so...

They can't even manage the MRT breakdown. How to handle a nuclear meltdown ???

Nuclear is in contained area , more of solid state ....not much moving parts unlike MRT
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I am more worries that if we cant even contain mat nasi lemak in the detention cell, having a nuclear energy plant on a small tiny dot may not be the best idea. 

Unless you are saying, build it in one of the tiny island that we own where bird dont lay eggs. Than perhaps viable. 

Viable for pirates to come and ransake that is.

The risk as well as risk exposure to our neighbours is a real concern.

What does our neighbour say .

Have we consider their feelings ?

or

it doesn't matter ?

ermm... our southern neighbour have 3 experimental reactors currently running.

there were mass demonstrations around 10 years ago in jakarta over plans to start constructing a proper one in java.

Our neighbour who  has problems controlling plantation fires, building and running nuclear plants in prime quake zone.

pray hard. 

(edited)

I just wanna say something. In Singapore there seems to be a lack of accountability and it can get scary.

Why?

If there were to be a vote to build a nuclear plant, the MPs can always vote yes. Why? They want their income. Also, as @tianmo @lala81 has said, it's a project that will take years to come into fruition.

If the MP feels that it is dangerous, he can still vote yes and make plans to migrate after "retiring from politics due to personal reasons". With his pay, he can bring his family anywhere around the world.

If nothing happens, nothing happens to him.

If something happens, he is safe and it's not like there is still a Singapore to come after him for a decision made in parliament decades ago. Even if there were, I don't think anyone can punish him for a decision made in parliament decades ago.

So there is no downside to voting for nuclear power. Cos there is no accountability as the decision makers do not have to answer for their actions. Even now we can see it.

So I can see the advantages of nuclear power in Singapore BUT the price of failure is too high. And it is likely the decision maker would not face the consequence of the action if it happens.

Lastly, one can say the likelihood of a nuclear accident is very low. In the entire history of Singapore after the British came, we have only been conquered once in 1942. Yet we are so paranoid about our defence. You can say maybe it's because our neighbours are not that friendly. Well, nuclear power is also not that safe when you consider the stakes. Why are we not equally paranoid about it?

The worrying thing is that there is the thinking that since Ho Ching has publicly spoken for it, it's already been decided. I hope I am wrong.

Two cents.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 7

maybe in terms of cost benefits...

its not worth it for such a small country as singapore... pollution from conventional plants less than risk of nuke.

or..

its very very worth it cos 1 plant could serve  so much of 1 country...

[confused]

I just wanna say something. In Singapore there seems to be a lack of accountability and it can get scary.

Why?

If there were to be a vote to build a nuclear plant, the MPs can always vote yes. Why? They want their income. Also, as @tianmo @lala81 has said, it's a project that will take years to come into fruition.

If the MP feels that it is dangerous, he can still vote yes and make plans to migrate after "retiring from politics due to personal reasons". With his pay, he can bring his family anywhere around the world.

If nothing happens, nothing happens to him.

If something happens, he is safe and it's not like there is still a Singapore to come after him for a decision made in parliament decades ago. Even if there were, I don't think anyone can punish him for a decision made in parliament decades ago.

So there is no downside to voting for nuclear power. Cos there is no accountability as the decision makers do not have to answer for their actions. Even now we can see it.

So I can see the advantages of nuclear power in Singapore BUT the price of failure is too high. And it is likely the decision maker would not face the consequence of the action if it happens.

Lastly, one can say the likelihood of a nuclear accident is very low. In the entire history of Singapore after the British came, we have only been conquered once in 1942. Yet we are so paranoid about our defence. You can say maybe it's because our neighbours are not that friendly. Well, nuclear power is also not that safe when you consider the stakes. Why are we not equally paranoid about it?

The worrying thing is that there is the thinking that since Ho Ching has publicly spoken for it, it's already been decided. I hope I am wrong.

Two cents.

since when major infrastructure need to vote? did they vote for the LNG plant? marina barrage? water treatment plant? mrt line?
↡ Advertisement