37 flights delayed, one runway closed for 10 hours

kobayashiGT

Supercharged

To be able to fly within airport grounds, the drone is not your off the shelf type of drone. It would be a self-assembled type. I do not understand these ppl, what so nice in disrupting airport operations. Now those terrorist know what to do liao. [dead]

on the bright side, it was lucky that this incident was not an act of terror. 

while hopefully sufficient enough to send a distinct warning on the possibility..

Need to know where you won't get into trouble flying a recreational drone?

https://flywhere.sg/

only can fly drone over bukit timah! lol!!

Off the shelf drones like DJI have already hard coded several fail safes to prevent flight within airport operating areas. There’s almost no way to bypass this, and manufacturers voluntarily do this to avoid being banned from selling their products altogether.

Self assembled drones on the other hand do not have complex geopositioning systems and hence can fly wherever the operator wants.

thanks. never knew this.

Turbocharged

Was in Aus.. national park. Lots people.

Someone flew a drone to take selfie.

And another in the crowd shouted he not allowed to flew drone within 30m of other people.

Not sure if such rule in Singapore or not

Depends how large is the quadcopter; the selfie quads are usually small and some of them come with prop guards.

I am thinking just how amazing it is that the quadcopter has been cleverly positioned to take advantage of today's generation's obsession with self-promotion through social media - making it popular with a larger segment of the population. If the selfie and photo-taking function did not materialize, I don't think they'd ever catch on with the general public.

So that's the lesson, if you want to design a marketable product that will take the world by storm, always keep this in mind: how to harness the inherent narcissism of the youth! [laugh]

no need know how. DJI already have return to home function.

DJI one cannot fly into NFZ(No Fly Zone). Also payload for these DJI drones, not much.

Self assembled ones can fly anywhere and go as big as you want and carry lots more.

• Praise 2

DJI one cannot fly into NFZ(No Fly Zone). Also payload for these DJI drones, not much.

Self assembled ones can fly anywhere and go as big as you want and carry lots more.

So, this is where the “ flying car “ concept come from
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
Actually, I read this news and try to get more info. The thing is after 24 over hours. There is still no news about how it is resolved and who were arrested. This really need follow up.

I see..so some guy could actually pre program a GPS co-ordinate like say Raffles place during lunch time. Strap a home made bomb. Launch the drone and run away?

He no need to hang around to pilot the drone?

That's not good isn't it. Like pre program guided bomb?

Or am i watching too many action movies?

They are doing that in Syria, and Venezuela too (attempted to take out their big boss) !
  • Praise 1

Drones are back at Changi Airport, causing flight delays

SINGAPORE - Unauthorised drones are believed to have caused flight delays and disruptions at Changi Airport on Monday (June 24) night, just days after a previous incident saw 37 flights delayed.

The Straits Times understands that at least five flights have been diverted since 9pm, including BatikAir flight ID7157 from Jakarta to Singapore that had to be diverted to Pekanbaru.
Singapore Airlines, Garuda, Qantas and Air Asia are among other carriers affected.

More than one drone was sighted, with the drones reportedly not of recreational make, The Straits Times understands.

The Straits Times has contacted the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore for comment.

The flight arrival and departure boards at Changi Airport's terminals began reflecting delays in arrival and departure times from around 9pm.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

I want to youtube to watch YouTube video that was uploaded from 1 week ago till now title changi airport. Hopping to find maybe someone post on YouTube on view of changi airport upsky and perhaps this can give some clue.

Look what I found..

The 1st video which is uploaded 5 days agao (dated from now) clearly show this guy fly drone up sky in Singapore straits although it is just a few seconds. And the second video shows the view of marina Bay sands. The guy kept saying shore leave. Maybe authorities could check on this person on his video upload and also drone captured video before this guy shore leave expired and then sail off singapore.

Found another one.. Are they allowed to fly drone out from the Singapore straits?

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 4

Wish they capture and jail that guy

Tiagong it is just a fine

They should lump up all the losses and make him pay

He can’t pay? Jail until he can pay

• Praise 2

(edited)

Do we have drone defense system?

After 2 incidents, more than 30 hours of flight delay, SAF being involved, they still have no clue, what is your guess ?

But theoretically we do have one. How ? The defences system is to shutdown airport when drone is spotted.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Where's the control we are talking about when they can't even find the guy who is flying this 1 drone. [thumbsdown]

↡ Advertisement