Open Cat COE - strategies of AD/PI

Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me on how open Cat COEs are used?

Mainly the strategies of how/whenthe AD/PI use them, since they cost the most (more than A or B) and using them when COE lower = lost $?

Thanks for the help in advance!

↡ Advertisement

Hi all,

Mainly the strategies of how/whenthe AD/PI use them, since they cost the most (more than A or B) and using them when COE lower = lost $?

After you win a bid, you will be given a Temporary COE (TCOE).  The TCOE is valid for 6 months for Categories A, B and D, and 3 months for Categories C and E. You must register your vehicle before your TCOE expires. Once the TCOE expires, it can no longer be used and you will forfeit your full bid deposit. 

After you win a bid, you will be given a Temporary COE (TCOE).  The TCOE is valid for 6 months for Categories A, B and D, and 3 months for Categories C and E. You must register your vehicle before your TCOE expires. Once the TCOE expires, it can no longer be used and you will forfeit your full bid deposit. 

COE bid deposit for Categories A, B, C and E is S$10,000

• Praise 1

(edited)

Jun-19   $39,400  

Jun-19   $42,002  

May-19  $47,000  

May-19  $52,502  

Apr-19   $52,410  

Apr-19   $48,209  

Mar-19  $41,000 expiring 28th Jun and forfeit $10,000 deposit.

Prices and expiry date of open cat coe.

In order not to lose 10k deposit, the 41k open cat coe shall be applied not later than 28th Jun.

Hence, the bidder of open cat at 41k might be willing to sell at lower price, say 34k.

Example:

$72,613 (car base price inc all tax) + $34,000 (discounted open cat coe to avoid forfeit) = $106,613

Selling price is around $115,900 (including agent profit of $9,287 SGD)

Edited by Tanhangkiang
  • Praise 1

Jun-19 $39,400

Jun-19 $42,002

May-19 $47,000

May-19 $52,502

Apr-19 $52,410

Apr-19 $48,209

Mar-19 $41,000 expiring 28th Jun and forfeit $10,000 deposit.

Prices and expiry date of open cat coe.

In order not to lose 10k deposit, the 41k open cat coe shall be applied not later than 28th Jun.

Hence, the bidder of open cat at 41k might be willing to sell at lower price, say 34k.

Example:

$72,613 (car base price inc all tax) + $34,000 (discounted open cat coe to avoid forfeit) = $106,613

Selling price is around $115,900 (including agent profit of $9,287 SGD)

Yes, falling prices is always good for buyers. Dealers holding high price coe better cut price to attract buyers otherwise well kenna forfeit or cough up the rebates in tyne event of a freak COE bidding exercise where there is not enough bid to fulfill the quota.
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

I'm not sure now how AD use open cat COE but in year 2005, open CAT COE will be used to register car in the same month of successful bid as the AD only bid for the open CAT COE to full fill the delivery of car to customers by the agreed date. My previous 2005 car was registered with open CAT COE which was 4K higher than the price of the actual /COE of that CAT as the AD need to deliver the car by the agreed date.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I think Open Cat is valid for 3 months.

So these dealers if they want to confirm your order and deliver your car asap, they will give you open cat. You dun have to go for any bidding.

This is provided that even if they give you open Cat, they still can make profits lor.

Hi, wanted to ask a quick question about Open Cat (Cat E) COE.

Example Sep 2020 2nd bidding Cat E ($41,001) vs Cat B ($40,989).

If my Cat B car is registered with Cat E COE, let's say after 5 years, what is the COE paper value? Is it 50% of $41,001 or 50% of $40,989?

On 2/8/2021 at 3:36 PM, boonhat_91 said:

Hi, wanted to ask a quick question about Open Cat (Cat E) COE.

Example Sep 2020 2nd bidding Cat E ($41,001) vs Cat B ($40,989).

If my Cat B car is registered with Cat E COE, let's say after 5 years, what is the COE paper value? Is it 50% of $41,001 or 50% of $40,989?

When you sell your car after  5 years, it is the brand and type of the car that will affect the resale price , it has got  nothing to do with  open cat or not open cat coe.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1