The true cost of driving in Singapore

awhtc

Supersonic
A car's fuel efficiency may even improve with age. My 13-year-old Toyota Wish is 10 to 15 per cent more frugal now than when it was new.

How does this work? Old car use less petrol meh?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

(edited)

H*****zone would be more appropriate forum for this discussion to have car or not in Singapore due to cost etc etc.

This forum, if you say having car no good, is like shooting on your own foot haha 

More to come .... 

Edited by Mann123

It's about perspective. If the writer is solely looking from the financial point of view he can say how much of a figure he or we can save. But when in reality...you know the meme. [laugh]

Twincharged

Aiya....Chris Tan neber count over 30 yrs his salary how much? In comparison, $500k to enjoy a few cars over one's working/productive life is peanuts

precisely. pay him to generate a rubbish article like this. waste resources.

How does this work? Old car use less petrol meh?

he blow his smoke into the intake to improve combustion?

hahah. only idiots will believe that a 13year old car will have 10-15%  better efficiency than new. he better go work for Toyota and VW where he can share his secrets rather than writing for newspapers.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

the news article should say best is dun marry and have kids

I calculated one can save 1 mil in 30 years at least.

best saver scenario

can pay for a ferrari when one is 55 years ago, assuming start work at 25.

Ferrari and no MIL.

Why no one gave me this advice before I got married?

:D

Ferrari and no MIL.

Why no one gave me this advice before I got married?

:D

cos u registered as mcfer 5 yrs after me. how to share wif u?

Supersonic

500k is cheap

Imagine if u are family of 4

Mrt and bus daily $20, figures include if u take grab occasionally

per month will be $600

One year $7.2k. 50 years will be $360k le

Difference $140k divided 50 yrs= $2.8k per annum

Monthly $233

Daily $7.77.

Then measure time saved compared to taking public transport and convenience.

your maths got problem leh.

You mean someone buying a car will surely drive the rest of the 3 people in the family everywhere and they don't need to take public transport?

Where's the time saved like that? 

Supersonic

precisely. pay him to generate a rubbish article like this. waste resources.

he blow his smoke into the intake to improve combustion?

hahah. only idiots will believe that a 13year old car will have 10-15% better efficiency than new. he better go work for Toyota and VW where he can share his secrets rather than writing for newspapers.

Sometimes his articles are quite insightful and thought provoking

But this particular one i felt was more sensationalist

for me, having a car is a necessary to feed my hobby. so i should add in cost of owning a car to my hobby instead. Then golf as a hobby become very expensive.  :a-confused:

"A car's fuel efficiency may even improve with age. My 13-year-old Toyota Wish is 10 to 15 per cent more frugal now than when it was new."

Upon reading the above, i realize i just wasted 5 mins of my life  [:p] ..

• Praise 2

Supersonic

for me, having a car is a necessary to feed my hobby. so i should add in cost of owning a car to my hobby instead. Then golf as a hobby become very expensive.  :a-confused:

Golf has always been an expensive hobby leh...

• Praise 1

Sometimes his articles are quite insightful and thought provoking

But this particular one i felt was more sensationalist

He is retiring soon.

"A car's fuel efficiency may even improve with age. My 13-year-old Toyota Wish is 10 to 15 per cent more frugal now than when it was new."

Upon reading the above, i realize i just wasted 5 mins of my life  [:p] ..

Anyone here have such an amazing experience with older cars? [confused] Never renewed any COE before so my experience and knowledge is limited.

Don't have kids can save even more.

Kids have higher maintenance costs and are less reliable than a Volvo. Statistically speaking kids also make you more unhappy and give you more stress. Also, if very unhappy with kids cannot legally just sell them of them.

Not a great investment either since some kids don't give any returns when we get older.

I question why I ever had kids when I could be driving a 2-door sports car with no seats for the kids.

If we're talking truths about savings, then that is an undeniable truth.

• Praise 1

Golf has always been an expensive hobby leh...

ya, i think so too. maybe should change to cheaper hobby if the main aim is to save money. maybe running would be good..... no need car cos can run to office. 

Don't have kids can save even more.

Kids have higher maintenance costs and are less reliable than a Volvo. Statistically speaking kids also make you more unhappy and give you more stress. Also, if very unhappy with kids cannot legally just sell them of them.

Not a great investment either since some kids don't give any returns when we get older.

I question why I ever had kids when I could be driving a 2-door sports car with no seats for the kids.

If we're talking truths about savings, then that is an undeniable truth.

We have the answer to that. Are we ourselves an asset or liability to our parents? Net recipient or net giver?

ya, i think so too. maybe should change to cheaper hobby if the main aim is to save money. maybe running would be good..... no need car cos can run to office.

Definitely cheaper.

Every year can fly overseas 5 times for race + holiday

• Praise 1

We have the answer to that. Are we ourselves an asset or liability to our parents? Net recipient or net giver?

We will only know the answer to that when they pass on....... I do hope that i am net giver... 

Definitely cheaper.

Every year can fly overseas 5 times for race + holiday

Now also fly overseas for golf trips.... wow! the more i think about it, the more expensive it seem. 

↡ Advertisement