Liverpool Football Club - It is time to end the 30 year wait

Akula

hope so... it's been a long time since we had a youngster - before TAA - who can light up the team. Notable last one was probably owen...

Sterling and Suso
↡ Advertisement

Sterling and Suso

These 2 did not light up the scene lah... Sterling showed promise, but was overshadowed by the first choice S&S, and even later, there was coutinho and him shouldering the responsibility of the team post S&S...

Suso was only reputation (and not much anyway) leh, in fact i hardly saw him play, and remembered nothing of him at all. He just didn't have the chance to impress.

owen was the one who shone at every level (and world cup) that he played at, quickly establishing himself the moment he broke into the first team. But quick come also quick go... Didn't really last long...

must as i dun like Utd, but their crop of beckham, scholes, giggs, butt, nevilles were admittedly the envy of most - cheap and good...

i always wondered what went wrong, in that such a reputed team like Pool had for so long failed to churn out even one decent youngster from its academy (after Gerrard), while even Southampton (Bale, Ox, walcott, shaw, etc.) had so many...

Klopp have unfinished business with Pool so don't think he will go now........maybe after get EPL title he will consider to move

• Praise 1

Supercharged

These 2 did not light up the scene lah... Sterling showed promise, but was overshadowed by the first choice S&S, and even later, there was coutinho and him shouldering the responsibility of the team post S&S...

Suso was only reputation (and not much anyway) leh, in fact i hardly saw him play, and remembered nothing of him at all. He just didn't have the chance to impress.

owen was the one who shone at every level (and world cup) that he played at, quickly establishing himself the moment he broke into the first team. But quick come also quick go... Didn't really last long...

must as i dun like Utd, but their crop of beckham, scholes, giggs, butt, nevilles were admittedly the envy of most - cheap and good...

i always wondered what went wrong, in that such a reputed team like Pool had for so long failed to churn out even one decent youngster from its academy (after Gerrard), while even Southampton (Bale, Ox, walcott, shaw, etc.) had so many...

Sterling did come unto the scene during the title challenge season under Brendan Rogers.  He established himself as one of the brightest young english player during that season and eventually City paid Pool very well to buy him . 

Less so for Suso who did not fully get a real chance and long run in the starting 11.  

Sterling did come unto the scene during the title challenge season under Brendan Rogers.  He established himself as one of the brightest young english player during that season and eventually City paid Pool very well to buy him . 

Less so for Suso who did not fully get a real chance and long run in the starting 11.  

Yup, Sterling played, but he was initially used as a right wing-back earlier in that season leh... after he was alomost loan out...

I don't think he was that great - when S&S did so brilliantly in 14. But of course, after they 'left', then the whole team standard dropped significantly and Sterling was taking on a lot more responsibility in what was just an above-average team - and he was even playing striker...

City bought him at a premium because he's English and young. Plus since he was quite a decent player, so they paid up. He only really improved significantly under Pep in the last 2 seasons. Credit to Pep, as he saw in and took Sterling to another level from the time he was a Pool player.

• Praise 2

Sterling was probably one of the best youngster around when he was in the team. Owen was probably better in terms of goal scoring. Not sure about others, if not for Sterling wanting to leave, I wouldnt be surprised if he is still in our first 11.

Suso was unlucky in the sense that Sterling was around and both were played as right winger. Iirc Suso was a very talented left footer touted to be the next Alonso. I think he was loan out after we signed Sturridge and Countinho. Not sure why but he allow his contract to run out during Rodger's reign and left for Milan. I remember Rafa stole Suso from under the nose of Barca. Unlike Sterling, Suso is not as disciplined and not very good at following instructions if i am not wrong.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Yup, Sterling played, but he was initially used as a right wing-back earlier in that season leh... after he was alomost loan out...

I don't think he was that great - when S&S did so brilliantly in 14. But of course, after they 'left', then the whole team standard dropped significantly and Sterling was taking on a lot more responsibility in what was just an above-average team - and he was even playing striker...

City bought him at a premium because he's English and young. Plus since he was quite a decent player, so they paid up. He only really improved significantly under Pep in the last 2 seasons. Credit to Pep, as he saw in and took Sterling to another level from the time he was a Pool player.

Sterling has now developed into a pretty mature and consistent player under Pep.  his decision making is more calibrated and he enjoyed his most productive season last time round. So fair game to him, he is indeed a much better and complete player than his earlier playing days at Pool. 

• Praise 2

Sterling has now developed into a pretty mature and consistent player under Pep.  his decision making is more calibrated and he enjoyed his most productive season last time round. So fair game to him, he is indeed a much better and complete player than his earlier playing days at Pool. 

But he still has his weakness .....  [sly]

When a class & good defenders completely marked him, he will lost his form and run like a headless chicken ....... :secret-laugh:

• Praise 1

Sterling was probably one of the best youngster around when he was in the team. Owen was probably better in terms of goal scoring. Not sure about others, if not for Sterling wanting to leave, I wouldnt be surprised if he is still in our first 11.

Suso was unlucky in the sense that Sterling was around and both were played as right winger. Iirc Suso was a very talented left footer touted to be the next Alonso. I think he was loan out after we signed Sturridge and Countinho. Not sure why but he allow his contract to run out during Rodger's reign and left for Milan. I remember Rafa stole Suso from under the nose of Barca. Unlike Sterling, Suso is not as disciplined and not very good at following instructions if i am not wrong.

Sterling was probably the only youngster around, actually, during that time. Got many ah peks led by SG, Carra, ha ha... Glen Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel, Agger, all not young. Even sturridge, suarez, hendo, and coutinho, also all above 20...

Sterling showed potential but was not there yet, at that time. No fight c.f.  Owen who at 17 already nailed down the striker position after breaking into the team, as well as the national team soon after.

Even Gerrard and maybe Murphy as youngsters probably played better than Sterling at the same age (~20).

I also remembered Suso joining was hyped up a lot, but just didn't see him in action much, before he was shipped out. Anyway, Rogers at that time didn't do a fantastic job lah. If it wasn't because of Suarez, Rogers would have left earlier.

yup agreed.

Despite the fact that prob no pool supporters like him, but have to admit he's now much better than when he was at pool. During that time, it was merely potential, now he's actually able to perform at a high level.

But he still has his weakness .....  [sly]

When a class & good defenders completely marked him, he will lost his form and run like a headless chicken ....... :secret-laugh:

He was doing this most of the time, ok, maybe not so bad, but certainly a lot of the time when he was played as a striker by Rogers, after Suarez left and Sturridge was injured...

But last season on the occasions when i watch City played, he was much more purposeful and calculated in his forays into the box...

Let's hope his headless chicken syndrome will manifest when he plays against pool [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

hypia and honcho were formidable. they complement each other well.

wow! they were the meanest out there during their time... help by houllier utilising mickey's pace and packing the mf

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Yup, Carra, like SG and Suarez, exhibited traits that will give the team more confidence when they play, by their sheer determination.

Hyppia and VVD gives the same, but in a different way - through their calm organising ability.

At a time when the central defence consists of (other than Agger and Skrtel) Coates, Wisdom, Kelly, Carra was the most dependable already.

The market is indeed mad, with every single half-decent player going for base price 50 m or above. Is this even sustainable???

Actually, apart from VVD, is it possible to influence and teach the likes of Matip, Gomez and Lovren, to be better at organisation and play more (note, not over-) confidently? These 3 did play quite well alongside VVD, so if they can pick up a thing or two from VVD, our defence could become a really good shield - given that TAA and Robertson are also doing well.

just my 2c:

VVD allows his partners to play to their strengths.

Gomez pacy, cover RB, read game very well for his age

Matip, move fwd with ball and distribute forward efficiently. i think this is a very understated part of his game

Loverns: aggressive defending further forward. he may has lapse in concentration, but he is one of the best defending from the front.

all 3 play well cos in their head, VVD and Alisson is back there covering for any mistakes 

most money minded players ever in pool shirt, Stirling. Period.

:nosepick:

i nvr feel any hatred or dislike for him after he leave.

its not the $, imagine how many careers brenda destroy playing wide forwards as wing backs.

Markovic was destroyed ;p

the one i detest among so many is mickey... not macmanaman, not torres, not suarez nor PC. just mickey

• Praise 4

wow! they were the meanest out there during their time... help by houllier utilising mickey's pace and packing the mf

Mickey was good due to big potatoes (me and kakis called him) hesky!

just my 2c:

Matip, move fwd with ball and distribute forward efficiently. i think this is a very understated part of his game

Loverns: aggressive defending further forward. he may has lapse in concentration, but he is one of the best defending from the front.

all 3 play well cos in their head, VVD and Alisson is back there covering for any mistakes

its not the $, imagine how many careers brenda destroy playing wide forwards as wing backs.

the one i detest among so many is mickey... not macmanaman, not torres, not suarez nor PC. just mickey

Mickey! yes.

to date I can still remember him holding the white jersey declaring playing for the best or bigger club ..something along that line. love became hate likea snatch of a fingers.

• Praise 1

Like i always say... remember Liverpool beat Roma 2-0? The display of defensive masterclass.... we had two top class CBs and probably 2 of the best full backs in the business Ziege and Babbel...not sure whether Ziege playing midfield or defence or in sickbay but that was a difficult team to play against

just my 2c:

I guess at least Sterling was honest about what he wants... whether Money or Medals... at least he left with a record fee and made money for liverpool... look at Oscar... going to China at such a young age...

Well... my two cents.. as long as they play their hearts out when they are wearing their jersey... i wish them well... look at sturridge... so much promise... in the end only play well when partner Suarez for 1 season or two... every time complain about pain until someone said that its psychological... i rather Sturridge get sold and make money for the club..

Mickey was good due to big potatoes (me and kakis called him) hesky!

Mickey! yes.

to date I can still remember him holding the white jersey declaring playing for the best or bigger club ..something along that line. love became hate likea snatch of a fingers.

Heskey was the next Barnes. He had to sacrifice for Owen. I wonder why Houllier decided not to sign Anelka and form a 3 man attack back then. Maybe Anelka was the bad influence.

just my 2c:

All quite true.

VVD exudes a calmness to the team, esp the defence. This is in sharp contrast to 2 seasons ago, when we were scoring freely, but also conceding like nobody's biz. Whenever the high-pressing team lost possession and opponents countered... you almost knew the final outcome. Heck, even the players seemed to know the eventuality. [sweatdrop]

Everybody would be scrambling and backpedalling, but nobody could really defend. The same happened for set piece defending.

VVD's reading of the game and command of the back-line really transformed the defence completely.

Of course, Allison is another factor. This one don't even need to say...

I don't like Sterling, for the way he forced his move.

Guess most if not all pool fans feel the same way as you about owen. He did contribute a lot in the years he was there, but by going to OT, he negated every goodwill he earned. Complete disbelief that he's still some pool ambassador...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Guess most if not all pool fans feel the same way as you about owen. He did contribute a lot in the years he was there, but by going to OT, he negated every goodwill he earned. Complete disbelief that he's still some pool ambassador...

I think there was a period in his career that he almost has no club. His agent even had to make a glossy brochure about him just to market him. I mean he is Michael Owen, does he actually even need a marketing brochure? Can tell how desperate his marketing agent wants to find a club for him.

Then Man U came along, and he took it. I think he just wants a club to relaunch his career after all his injuries.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1