Motorists to face stiffer penalties

therock

Motorists to face stiffer penalties for dangerous and careless driving

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/parliament-motorists-to-face-stiffer-penalties-for-dangerous-and-careless-driving

Hit Singaporeans where it hurts most - their wallets... this may actually deter crazy and dangerous driving..

SINGAPORE - Motorists convicted of irresponsible driving offences can expect possibly longer jail terms and heftier fines under enhancements to the Road Traffic Act passed in Parliament on Monday (July 8).

For instance, a first-time offender convicted of causing death by dangerous driving will face up to eight years in jail, three years more than the maximum provision under current laws, as well as a minimum disqualification period of 10 years.

Serious and repeat offenders also face the prospect of being suspended from driving immediately, said Mrs Josephine Teo, Second Minister for Home Affairs, during the debate in Parliament over the proposed changes to the law.

Tougher measures are needed, as "irresponsible driving remains a big concern" and "can have deadly consequences", said Mrs Teo as she recounted a couple of recent cases.

"These are heart-wrenching tragedies that could been avoided. Enforcement, education and road safety infrastructure must certainly continue to be improved. But we also need stronger deterrence against irresponsible driving," she added.

The current penalties are "manifestly inadequate", said the minister, pointing out the need to raise "sentencing norms for egregious irresponsible driving offences", especially those that result in death or permanent disability.

Irresponsible driving offences, which were previously dealt with under the Road Traffic Act (RTA) and the Penal Code, will now be consolidated under the RTA, specifically into two classes: dangerous and careless driving.

And three factors will decide which class an offence belongs to.

One, the manner in which a motorist operates his vehicle puts others at risk or unable to react, like driving against the flow of traffic or swerving across lanes without warning.

Two, behaviour that can be considered dangerous is when a motorist drives a vehicle despite knowing he is not in any condition to drive safely, like using his mobile devices while driving or failing to use his spectacles when he is short-sighted.

Three, failing to take extra precaution or slow down when a motorist approaches a zebra crossing.

"When determining the punishment, we will look at the circumstances under which the offence is committed," said Mrs Teo. "The threshold for dangerous driving is higher than careless driving. So, too, the penalties."

With the enhanced law, the duration of the sentences will depend on the extent of harm caused, with death being the most severe, followed by grievous hurt, hurt and endangering life.

For instance, repeat offenders who drive dangerously causing death will face a maximum of 15 years' in jail - compared to five years' jail for a second offence presently.

In addition, a first-time or repeat offender faces the prospect of being suspended from driving immediately and having to forfeit his vehicle, as well as being disqualified from driving for 10 years.

The most severe penalties are imposed on those driving under the influence (DUI) - one of the biggest contributors to serious accidents on Singapore roads, said Mrs Teo.

Such offenders convicted in cases involving death can face a maximum jail term of 10 years, including a minimum disqualification period of at least 12 years.

Repeat offenders can be jailed for up to 19 years and disqualified from driving for the rest of their lives.

"Drivers who are drunk or drug-impaired show a blatant disregard for the safety of other road users... These are also accidents that could have been avoided, if most motorists had not come under influence or did not drive," she added.

online-190507-roadtrafficactenhancedpena

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

hahaha bulls**t.

when the normal police cars start having a radar speed detector, then i'll be scared. if not, everytime i come back to singapore, i still see people speed like nobody's business and doing stupid shit. even when i come back, i'm not as scared to do stupid things as compared to when i'm in australia..

Supersonic

hahaha bulls**t.

when the normal police cars start having a radar speed detector, then i'll be scared. if not, everytime i come back to singapore, i still see people speed like nobody's business and doing stupid shit. even when i come back, i'm not as scared to do stupid things as compared to when i'm in australia..

???

Why do they need a speed detector when every car will soon be self-reporting the speed?

???

Why do they need a speed detector when every car will soon be self-reporting the speed?

i thought that was the EU legislation or is this going to be part of the new ERP thing?

Drive an expensive car? Pay more..

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/parliament-higher-traffic-fines-for-drivers-of-luxury-cars-among-mps-suggestions-to-improve?cx_testId=20&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=5#cxrecs_s

INGAPORE - Fines for traffic offences should be pegged to the open market value of the offending motorist's vehicle, which would enhance the deterrent effect against unsafe driving.

In doing so, motorists who own luxury cars would then pay more fines for the same offence compared to those who drive cheaper vehicles, suggested Nominated Member of Parliament Walter Theseira in Parliament on Monday (July 8).

This would make fines more meaningful as a deterrent for motorists of higher income levels, he added.

Dr Theseira said this would be a more practical way than pegging fines to the income levels of errant motorists, as he cited the example of a Finnish businessman who was fined 54,024 euros for driving at 64 miles per hour in a 50 mile per hour zone.

"I think it reasonable to presume that the driver of a large luxury car is able to pay more than one driving a cheaper vehicle, and would likely regard the demerit points and other consequences of an offence as far more serious than the value of the fine itself," he added.

"In fact, insofar as many luxury cars are marketed as safer than less well-equipped cars, there is even more reason to increase the optimal fine as a deterrent, since the perceived risk of injury to the driver themselves will be lower and they may be more inclined to speed."

In response to Dr Theseira's suggestion, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Home Affairs Sun Xueling noted that while some jurisdictions such as Finland have implemented such an income-based system, others such as the United Kingdom had piloted trials but they were eventually discontinued.

She added that the Ministry of Home Affairs will study the suitability and impact of implementing such a similar system.

Supersonic
All should be treated equally, unless there is evidence that luxury car drivers or wealthier people drive in a more dangerous or irresponsible manner. Why not those richer people who get caught smoking will be fined more, people should be fined according to their income when caught jay walking ?

All should be treated equally, unless there is evidence that luxury car drivers or wealthier people drive in a more dangerous or irresponsible manner. Why not those richer people who get caught smoking will be fined more, people should be fined according to their income when caught jay walking ?

Swiss standard of traffic fine

Supersonic

i thought that was the EU legislation or is this going to be part of the new ERP thing?

ERP.

Every car will be installed with a GPS device. Can easily track location and speed.

Depends what the punishment is for.

What's the point of fining a billionaire $100? Any impact or pain?

Supersonic

ERP.

Every car will be installed with a GPS device. Can easily track location and speed.

Depends what the punishment is for.

What's the point of fining a billionaire $100? Any impact or pain?

But this is precisely the point, when a billionaire gets an offence, no amount of fine will have impact to him, next, the law should jail him when another poorer person would only get $30 fine ? Not logical.

Supersonic

But this is precisely the point, when a billionaire gets an offence, no amount of fine will have impact to him, next, the law should jail him when another poorer person would only get $30 fine ? Not logical.

I don't think anyone is suggesting jail - just an increased fine.

You sure no amount of fine will have an impact? What about $999 mil? So now we established that it has an impact, just need to determine the right amount.

Ahmad driver sure die

ERP.

wow this new ERP has more than it meets the eye. 

first they can charge you anywhere, next they track your speed. might as well join china's social points status thing..

Your reasoning about the jail thing also not logical at all.

(edited)

DUI penalty needs to be harsher

Agree. Some people are just super freaking kayu and they potentially can get 8 years (may not be spending related), why are people who intentionally drink and drive getting off with much less?

Swiss standard of traffic fine

SG system is built to attract FT and foreign wealth, why make the rich feel unwelcome? Wahaha Edited by Voodooman

Stiffer everything:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/stiffer-fines-for-parking-offences-such-as-tailgating-at-carparks-from-july-1

I like the tailgating part..

SINGAPORE - Motorists who flout the law and commit parking offences will face stiffer fines from July 1, following a review by the Housing and Development Board (HDB) and Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA).

In a joint statement on Monday (June 24), the HDB and URA said fines will be increased for these categories of offences: illegal parking offences, coupon and digital parking offences, and payment evasion at Electronic Parking System (EPS) carparks.

The HDB and URA last carried out a revision of parking fines in 1991.

Motorcyclists who do not abide by parking regulations and park their vehicles indiscriminately will soon face a $35 fine, a $10 increase from before.

Meanwhile, errant car drivers and heavy vehicle drivers who park illegally will have their fines raised by $20.

This means car drivers will have to pay $70 from July 1, while heavy vehicle drivers will have to pay $100.

The agencies said that from 2016 to 2018, an average of 260,800 notices were issued each year for illegal parking.

online-190624-parkingoffences.jpg

↡ Advertisement