For those males after 50yrs old

RadX

Hypersonic
(edited)

Ha ha ha ...... it’s just a number game , yes both husband n wife want their space , people will say it’s my sunset days .......I want to see the sun rise/set...... Lepak in one corner ... I’ve no issues with friends, have early morning Sunday walk friends, even a simple hike up Bt Timah , have car club friends and once in 3 months I go even lunch with my Preambree skool checher , do sports like there is no tomorrow ....traveled with friends families overseas but I must say the wifey is the better one at networking the friends circle ....and yes the kids will be in their own world and digital divide happens and even neighbors are good friends to just TCSS ..... humans are social animals ...... and now with tech ....... WhatsApp groups....... but then if you compare SIngaporeans .... we’re all like trying to live with the Joneses if you compare to other countries like NZ/Aus or even US or just across the causeway

Edited by BanCoe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Hypersonic

Noble job. Everyone enjoys a good screw...

For a good screw you need a good drill bit too , tio boh @freeder
  • Praise 3

That writeup describes me to a tee. And one doesn't need to be fifty plus. I'm in my mid 40s, and I've already been this way for many years. I don't even do social media (other than this forum, and I'm not sure that counts - but I don't often do meetups anymore), and I actively try to avoid prolonged whatsapp group membership. I quit pretty much all of them already. And I get irritated with contacts who keep sending me inane rubbish.

And there's nothing wrong with being this way. No sense in being social if it drains more than replenishes one.

"No time" is often just an excuse. Some people just don't value social contact as much as others do. Nothing wrong with that. It's the height of arrogance to think that one is so wonderful that it's a slight on one's person if another doesn't want to hang out with them. Don't hold your breath for them to come crawling back after "empty nest" either - solitude (maybe barring one's immediate family, but some don't even need or desire that) is good at any age.

:D

Same here. I am mostly introvert. I have few friends but many acquaintances.

I don't hang out with friends during weekends or after office hours, unless it's for work.

I value my "me time" and family time only.

When I was young, I snuck out of home to go parties.

Now, I sneak out of parties to go home.

And comment on MCF

• Praise 12

The things is after a badmintin game we will go for food and beer to replenish our muscle loss. It is interesting to talk to people from all walks of life .

Spin ? I could only do backspin using sand wedge. haha.

For durian, we take turn to pay and eat in one of the kaki's house, didnt really bother the amount. It is the chit chat and gathering that counts.

Yah, things get ugly when people becomes calculative.

I do group rides but I don't join the breakfasts at the end of each ride.

Mainly because I need to be home early and also because I don't want my exercise to end up LPPL

• Praise 2

Supersonic

What kind of documentaries?

Adult education ones from Japan?

:D

Maybe Pixels movie....jap version
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

i only have a few true friends...the rst died hahahahaha

your true friends walk can see feet or not
  • Praise 12

Supersonic
(edited)

I do group rides but I don't join the breakfasts at the end of each ride.

Mainly because I need to be home early and also because I don't want my exercise to end up LPPL ð¤£

I join them selectively and if any, my food intake is very controlled, it is how I manage to keep to my weight, at least I thought so.

But point to note, other than friends, dont forget family , make sure we spend enough time with our family than friends.

Edited by Ct3833

One very important aspect of keeping active is to get involves in volunteering work. 

you can volunteer in your faith group, community, old age homes, children home etc

It is up to individual. However, if a person character is a kind of loner or self centred personality or always second guess other people's kind intention, then there isn't much we can do to help them. They have to help themselves first and the rest of the society can chip in

A lovable, trustworthy and sincere person will not be short of friends. And, the quality of friends is more critical then quantity of friends at this age. 

• Praise 6

Very good thread, all of us mcf uncles open heart n pour their sorrows out.. lol  [laugh] ..

hahahaha....misery loves company hahha

Hypersonic

When i read the article, I feel like she is talking about me (i.e. no friends)

BUT I am neither a dad nor am I 50 :XD::XD:

Ha ha ha ..... alamak ! you are the kiddo mentioned of the 50 year old parent
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

I fit in almost all aspects described in the article . My children are in the midst of completing their tertiary educations and they all have the same opnion and view as the writer .

Yes , my life is routine , family comes first , friends are few and far in between , and I am spending more and more time alone .

And loving every minute of it . 

I have already " reached the shore " so to speak , and the one activity that I enjoy the most now taking my dog for long walks in nearby reservoirs . I reflect back on my journey , the struggles that I have gone thru starting my family and career , and then smile to myself to have reached this stage in life .

People dont bother me as much these days , I dont get pissed off with their shortcoming , I dont get mad at PHVs cutting into my lane abruptly . in short , I find that I have mellowed down much at this stage of life .

People see a routine life as boring , but I see routine as less stress . I dont like to break my routine . If I take a 2 week holiday with my wife , I will itch to come back into my routine after a week overseas .

We all strive for health and wealth . Yes , that is good to have , but to me , the one most important thing  is to have a PEACE OF MIND .

To the writer , fret not , dont worry about us , you go enjoy your life , we are not as lonely as you think .

We may appear to only comment in car forums , but at the same time we may also be writing field reports in sammyboy forums .  [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 20