• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic | 130 praises

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:12 PM

Carbon82

Toyota Covers Prius With Solar Panels That Also Charge Battery On The Move

2248250c-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

Automakers are looking to maximize the driving range of their plug-in hybrid and all-electric vehicles, and solar panels are the hottest solution right now — literally.

Toyota is well aware of that and has announced a plan to begin public road trials from late July 2019 with Prius PHV vehicles equipped with high-efficiency solar batteries.

The trials will take place in Japan and benefit from the support of Sharp Corporation and the country’s New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO). As part of the program, Sharp will supply onboard solar battery panels using high-efficiency cells.

According to the automaker, the goal is “to assess the effectiveness of improvements in cruising range and fuel efficiency of electrified vehicles equipped with high-efficiency solar batteries.” Toyota installed the Sharp-supplied solar panels on the roof, hood, rear hatch door, and other parts of the Prius PHV to produce a demo car for public road trials.

Compared to the Prius PHV that’s already available with a solar charging roof system, the demo car is superior in every respect. At 860 W, the rated power generation output is 4.8 times bigger and the solar battery cell conversion efficiency exceeds 34 percent (versus 22.5 percent). Most importantly, the demo car uses a system that charges the driving battery both while the car is parked and when on the move.

This development is expected to lead to “considerable improvements in electric-powered cruising range and fuel efficiency.” More specifically, Toyota claims the experimental vehicle’s daily maximum charge to the battery while the vehicle is parked is equivalent to a driving range of 44.5 km (27.6 miles), compared to the production car’s 6.1 km (3.8 miles).

Things get better when the car is moving, as the daily maximum charge and power supply to the driving and auxiliary battery amounts to a driving range of 56.3 km (35 miles). The production Prius PHV’s solar charging system only supplies power on the move to the auxiliary battery, which powers the navigation and other systems.

Toyota will conduct the trials under various driving conditions in Toyota City, Tokyo, and other areas in its homeland. The goal is to use resulting data for the development of an onboard solar recharging system.

f6514bc5-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

1cce1d10-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

4691c315-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

3a7d16f4-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

d521d4f7-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

d91b588c-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

ba718140-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

f065d397-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

2275b66e-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

efbb84cf-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

015f21b5-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

6969d979-toyota-prius-phv-demo-car-with-

I know some are going to say it look like sh*t (tai gor in dialect), but given that it can provide energy for >50Km per day, I don't mind actually, not only to save my wallet, but our mother earth. [sunny]  [sunny]

<!-- isHtml:1 -->Behaviour shapes attitudes, and over a period of time, solidifies into beliefs.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:28 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Automakers are looking to maximize the driving range of their plug-in hybrid and all-electric vehicles, and solar panels are the hottest solution right now â literally.

Toyota is well aware of that and has announced a plan to begin public road trials from late July 2019 with Prius PHV vehicles equipped with high-efficiency solar batteries.

The trials will take place in Japan and benefit from the support of Sharp Corporation and the countryâs New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO). As part of the program, Sharp will supply onboard solar battery panels using high-efficiency cells.

According to the automaker, the goal is âto assess the effectiveness of improvements in cruising range and fuel efficiency of electrified vehicles equipped with high-efficiency solar batteries.â Toyota installed the Sharp-supplied solar panels on the roof, hood, rear hatch door, and other parts of the Prius PHV to produce a demo car for public road trials.

Compared to the Prius PHV thatâs already available with a solar charging roof system, the demo car is superior in every respect. At 860 W, the rated power generation output is 4.8 times bigger and the solar battery cell conversion efficiency exceeds 34 percent (versus 22.5 percent). Most importantly, the demo car uses a system that charges the driving battery both while the car is parked and when on the move.

This development is expected to lead to âconsiderable improvements in electric-powered cruising range and fuel efficiency.â More specifically, Toyota claims the experimental vehicleâs daily maximum charge to the battery while the vehicle is parked is equivalent to a driving range of 44.5 km (27.6 miles), compared to the production carâs 6.1 km (3.8 miles).

Things get better when the car is moving, as the daily maximum charge and power supply to the driving and auxiliary battery amounts to a driving range of 56.3 km (35 miles). The production Prius PHVâs solar charging system only supplies power on the move to the auxiliary battery, which powers the navigation and other systems.

Toyota will conduct the trials under various driving conditions in Toyota City, Tokyo, and other areas in its homeland. The goal is to use resulting data for the development of an onboard solar recharging system.

I know some are going to say it look like sh*t (tai gor in dialect), but given that it can provide energy for >50Km per day, I don't mind actually, not only to save my wallet, but our mother earth. [sunny] [sunny]

When the manufacturers could find a
more efficient ways to generate energy , bring the cost down and there is demand, I am sure they would beautify it. Just wait and see.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Feel so rich. Or just an illusion?

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

What a good idea.

Why waste free energy?

We should put this on our roof tops.

Tesla even made solar panels that look exactly like roof tiles.

No one can tell its panels.

:D

Edited by Jamesc, 10 July 2019 - 12:57 PM.

BanCoe praised this
Say no to harsh artificial chemicals

that pollute the earth

and go natural. [thumbsup]

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:39 PM

SGMCF328
  • SGMCF328
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Automakers are looking to maximize the driving range of their plug-in hybrid and all-electric vehicles, and solar panels are the hottest solution right now — literally.

The trials will take place in Japan and benefit from the support of Sharp Corporation and the country’s New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO). As part of the program, Sharp will supply onboard solar battery panels using high-efficiency cells.

According to the automaker, the goal is “to assess the effectiveness of improvements in cruising range and fuel efficiency of electrified vehicles equipped with high-efficiency solar batteries.” Toyota installed the Sharp-supplied solar panels on the roof, hood, rear hatch door, and other parts of the Prius PHV to produce a demo car for public road trials.

Compared to the Prius PHV that’s already available with a solar charging roof system, the demo car is superior in every respect. At 860 W, the rated power generation output is 4.8 times bigger and the solar battery cell conversion efficiency exceeds 34 percent (versus 22.5 percent). Most importantly, the demo car uses a system that charges the driving battery both while the car is parked and when on the move.

This development is expected to lead to “considerable improvements in electric-powered cruising range and fuel efficiency.” More specifically, Toyota claims the experimental vehicle’s daily maximum charge to the battery while the vehicle is parked is equivalent to a driving range of 44.5 km (27.6 miles), compared to the production car’s 6.1 km (3.8 miles).

Things get better when the car is moving, as the daily maximum charge and power supply to the driving and auxiliary battery amounts to a driving range of 56.3 km (35 miles). The production Prius PHV’s solar charging system only supplies power on the move to the auxiliary battery, which powers the navigation and other systems.

I know some are going to say it look like sh*t (tai gor in dialect), but given that it can provide energy for >50Km per day, I don't mind actually, not only to save my wallet, but our mother earth. [sunny] [sunny]

I don't mind too. If I don't travel much, 50km is good enough for me, and that means I am going to pay nothing for fuel.

If bulk of the car owner switch to solar panel car, some of these fuel companies might have to close shop, and not to mention much lesser revenue for government from petrol tax.

No wonder LTA has to work on ERP 2.0, because no more petrol tax, also cannot earn from electricity charges. This is truly green energy source.

Edited by SGMCF328, 10 July 2019 - 02:41 PM.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

Tjkbeluga
  • Premium member
    Tjkbeluga
    Supercharged
    Author Image

So bird poop will literally tank the car....

Volvobrick praised this
Latio Premium Sedan

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:25 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Where got bird poop? Next time everyone will want to park their car under hot sun, all the trees will be chopped to eliminate shade.
Jamesc and BanCoe praised this

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:42 PM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I don't mind too. If I don't travel much, 50km is good enough for me, and that means I am going to pay nothing for fuel.

If bulk of the car owner switch to solar panel car, some of these fuel companies might have to close shop, and not to mention much lesser revenue for government from petrol tax.

No wonder LTA has to work on ERP 2.0, because no more petrol tax, also cannot earn from electricity charges. This is truly green energy source.

ERP 2.0 peak hour surcharge to make up for no more petrol tax $5 for every km driven.

:D
Carbon82 praised this
Say no to harsh artificial chemicals

that pollute the earth

and go natural. [thumbsup]

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:45 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Accident will be real expensive to replace.

What say the insurance companies ?

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:14 PM

Heartlander
  • Heartlander
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Currently this kind of solar panels are popular in USA with those RVs. But the purpose has been to charge accessories like laptop, mobile devices, etc, and not to power the car as definitely not feasible at current technology. Quite cheap as it cost only less than S$1k to include the complete kit to allow for off-grid living. But I think is illegal here as the mechanical parts will protrude from the car outline, not to mention voiding car warranty which everyone is afraid of haha.

Angcheek praised this

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:17 PM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

That's the big difference between real Japanese engineers and Sillyporean one - here we put heavy soil and try to plant grass instead of solar panels!

If I were to be Toyota, I would cover the front windscreen with panels too and view through a camera/monitor system like armoured vehicle.  Maybe can go extra 20km.

Mkl22 and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:15 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Currently this kind of solar panels are popular in USA with those RVs. But the purpose has been to charge accessories like laptop, mobile devices, etc, and not to power the car as definitely not feasible at current technology. Quite cheap as it cost only less than S$1k to include the complete kit to allow for off-grid living. But I think is illegal here as the mechanical parts will protrude from the car outline, not to mention voiding car warranty which everyone is afraid of haha.

Battery (the 1 that power EV motor) of this Prius is charged via regen and solar.

Goal Zero has solar panel that can maxi charge at 200w.

To charge up a 20k mAh powerbank, it will take 45 - 90mins

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:16 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

That's the big difference between real Japanese engineers and Sillyporean one - here we put heavy soil and try to plant grass instead of solar panels!

If I were to be Toyota, I would cover the front windscreen with panels too and view through a camera/monitor system like armoured vehicle.  Maybe can go extra 20km.

I think there are some bus that are experimenting with solar panel now.

Unfortunately, Kowloon bus already started with solar panel few years back.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:51 PM

kobayashiGT

They should just learn from watchmakers like Citizen and Casio. They do know abit about solar power. 

Inlinefour, RH1667 and Volvobrick praised this
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:58 PM

TangoElite
  • TangoElite
    Supercharged
    Author Image

would be visually less distasteful if they were to make the white sheets black instead

"If someone wants to help they have to change from doubter to believer" Jurgen Klopp, 9 Oct 2015

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

Evillusion
  • Premium member
    Evillusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Reminds me of the ancient china soldiers with their armanents......
Together We stand Alone

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

Karoon
  • Premium member
    Karoon
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

its kinda pointless... at most will generate 0.5kWh....

how far can that go?

thats like 2MJ, energy in 1/16 litre of petrol... go a few hundred meters

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:27 AM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

how far can that go?

Your number correct or not?

Toyota said can add 44.5km range le.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:38 PM

Carbon82

When the manufacturers could find a
more efficient ways to generate energy , bring the cost down and there is demand, I am sure they would beautify it. Just wait and see.

I agree with this. Look at how much the price of solar panel for commercial use has eroded in the past decade.

And transparent solar panel are also in development:

This fully transparent solar cell could make every window and screen a power source

transparent-luminescent-solar-concentrat

Back in August 2014, researchers at Michigan State University created a fully transparent solar concentrator, which could turn any window or sheet of glass (like your smartphone’s screen) into a photovoltaic solar cell. Unlike other “transparent” solar cells that we’ve reported on in the past, this one really is transparent, as you can see in the photos throughout this story. According to Richard Lunt, who led the research at the time, the team was confident the transparent solar panels can be efficiently deployed in a wide range of settings, from “tall buildings with lots of windows or any kind of mobile device that demands high aesthetic quality like a phone or e-reader.”

Now Ubiquitous Energy, an MIT startup we first reported on in 2013, is getting closer to bringing its transparent solar panels to market. Lunt cofounded the company and remains assistant professor of chemical engineering and materials science at Michigan State University. Essentially, what they’re doing is instead of shrinking the components, they’re changing the way the cell absorbs light. The cell selectively harvests the part of the solar spectrum we can’t see with our eye, while letting regular visible light pass through.

Scientifically, a transparent solar panel is something of an oxymoron. Solar cells, specifically the photovoltaic kind, make energy by absorbing photons (sunlight) and converting them into electrons (electricity). If a material is transparent, however, by definition it means that all of the light passes through the medium to strike the back of your eye. This is why previous transparent solar cells have actually only been partially transparent — and, to add insult to injury, they usually they cast a colorful shadow too.

To get around this limitation, the Michigan State researchers use a slightly different technique for gathering sunlight. Instead of trying to create a transparent photovoltaic cell (which is nigh impossible), they use a transparent luminescent solar concentrator (TLSC). The TLSC consists of organic salts that absorb specific non-visible wavelengths of ultraviolet and infrared light, which they then luminesce (glow) as another wavelength of infrared light (also non-visible). This emitted infrared light is guided to the edge of plastic, where thin strips of conventional photovoltaic solar cell convert it into electricity. [Research paper: DOI: 10.1002/adom.201400103 – “Near-Infrared Harvesting Transparent Luminescent Solar Concentrators”]

If you look closely, you can see a couple of black strips along the edges of plastic block. Otherwise, though, the active organic material — and thus the bulk of the solar panel — is highly transparent. (Read: Solar singlet fission bends the laws of physics to boost solar power efficiency by 30%.)

The prototype TLSC currently has an efficiency of around 1%, but they think 10& should be possible once production commences. Non-transparent luminescent concentrators (which bathe the room in colorful light) max out at around 7%. On their own these aren’t huge figures, but on a larger scale — every window in a house or office block — the numbers quickly add up. And while we’re probably not talking about a technology that can keep your smartphone or tablet running indefinitely, replacing your device’s display with a TLSC could net you a few more minutes or hours of usage on a single battery charge.

“It opens a lot of area to deploy solar energy in a non-intrusive way,” Lunt said in an interview with Michigan State’s Today blog. “It can be used on tall buildings with lots of windows or any kind of mobile device that demands high aesthetic quality like a phone or e-reader. Ultimately we want to make solar harvesting surfaces that you do not even know are there.”

The researchers — and Ubiquitous Energy — are confident that the technology can be scaled all the way from large industrial and commercial applications, down to consumer devices, while remaining affordable. So far, one of the larger barriers to large-scale adoption of solar power is the intrusive and ugly nature of solar panels — obviously, if we can produce large amounts of solar power from sheets of glass and plastic that look like normal sheets of glass and plastic, then that would be incredible.

Hahaha... like that also can link to ERP. But quite true, tax revenue has to be maintained, so have to come up with more "creative" tax scheme. 

Depending on my many bird shit one can get, if just a few drops, no impact. But if like this, gone case liao. :D :D

_71107492_corriere.jpg

Where got bird poop? Next time everyone will want to park their car under hot sun, all the trees will be chopped to eliminate shade.

Fighting to park under open area, instead of under shade? Some will then argued that it will take away more energy to cool down the car, LPPL.  [grin]

Accident will be real expensive to replace.

What say the insurance companies ?

All these insurance companies, with or without expensive solar panel, the premium still increase every year leh...

:XD:  :XD:

With transparent solar panel (in the future), whole car can be covered with panel to harvest as much solar energy as possible.

Reminds me of the ancient china soldiers with their armanents......

Like this?

cfcf3c13cb66cc2c7e021657b034e96b.jpg

how far can that go?

According to Toyota, it can generate 860 W from the solar panel...

They should just learn from watchmakers like Citizen and Casio. They do know abit about solar power. 

But power consumption for watch is very much lesser than a car, just like those solar powered calculator we used during school days.

Evillusion and 1 Anonymous member praised this
<!-- isHtml:1 -->Behaviour shapes attitudes, and over a period of time, solidifies into beliefs.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:45 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

According to Toyota, it can generate 860 W from the solar panel...

Solar Panel from GoalZero which is 101.6cm x 140cm can produce 200w of power.

The number from Toyota could be understated

Back to Japanese Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: toyota, prius, phv, charging and 4 more...

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users