• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic | 40 praises

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I wonder if anyone has had this experience?

(please merge this if it's been discussed)

I had a good friend who was forced to move.. and I do agree we need more enforcement on this.. when I come home, I want peace and calm, not war...

(unless you are Jamesc with his MIL)...

https://www.straitst...-bad-neighbours

With nearly 3,500 cases of neighbour disputes a year, it is time for the HDB to step up as lead agency to handle such spats.

The 17th floor of this block of Housing Board flats in Punggol looked normal and quiet. But I was there to chase a story about neighbour disputes and, within minutes, the tension was palpable.

I knocked on one resident's door. He showed me a video of his neighbour on his mobile phone. It showed a woman dragging a metal rod along the HDB flat corridor. "Be careful when you approach her for an interview," he warned.

Undeterred, I stood outside the flat people told me was the home of their difficult neighbour. As I was about to press the doorbell, the lift door opened.

A young woman stepped out and made a dash to her flat, avoiding the unit I was standing at. Her husband, who was waiting for her at the gate, jumped in shock when he saw me.

It was only when I approached them, saying I was a reporter, that they calmed down. I asked about their experiences living there. They replied softly, at times lowering their voices to a whisper, afraid they would be harassed by their neighbour for speaking to the press.

Their reaction underscored the apprehension they clearly felt towards their neighbour.

The couple is just one of many families who have been living in fear at the HDB block in Punggol for the past five years. They are concerned about the behaviour and actions of a common neighbour, who lives on the 17th floor, whom they dub the "neighbour from hell".

The neighbour in question is Madam Tan, a 51-year-old housewife and divorcee living with her adult son. Her neighbours accuse her of splashing oil at their doorsteps, playing loud music and stomping on the floor throughout the day and night. One neighbour even claimed she had left a bloody pig's ear on a shoe rack. Another said she had thrown a chair at him. A 56-year-old food stall operator said she is so fearful that she stays at her daughter's place whenever her husband works the overnight shift.

st_20190711_jlneighbour11_49688442.jpg

ST ILLUSTRATION : MIEL

Almost every household on the 17th and 18th floors have installed closed-circuit television cameras. Residents say the cameras are the only way to protect themselves because there is nothing the police can do to help them other than advising them to make a Magistrate's Complaint.

https://www.straitst...6-families-away

Is anyone here affected directly?

(not that you want to share - in case you are trying to sell  [laugh]  )

Over the past two years, one Housing Board block in Punggol has seen heavy market activity. Six households on the same floor moved out - because of one woman.

Dubbed the neighbour from hell, she is accused of splashing oil at others' doors, playing loud music and stomping on the floor. One neighbour even claimed she had left a bloody pig's ear on a shoe rack.

Multiple police reports have been made. Feeling helpless when told by the authorities that what she did was not an arrestable offence, six families to date have sold their flats, with the latest one moving out last November. New families who moved in said they have also made reports to the authorities.

The second resident in the Punggol Central HDB block to move out due to the neighbour did so with her husband and two-year-old daughter in February last year, five years after moving into the Build-To-Order block, which has a mix of two-, three-and four-room flats.

She told The Sunday Times that it was "so stressful" that she even appealed to HDB to let her sell her flat before completing the five-year minimum occupation period. Her appeal was rejected.

"I simply couldn't take it anymore. I would go home after work to find some kind of liquid splashed on my door. One day it was used cooking oil, another day it was porridge. The worst was when I saw a pig's ear on my shoe rack," she said.

"It was my first flat and I felt very 'suay' (unlucky). I sold my flat to another family. I felt sorry for them but everyone wants to escape."

Beregond, Jamesc and Tianmo praised this

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:57 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

WHAT CAN YOU DO WHEN YOU HAVE A DISPUTE WITH A NEIGHBOUR?

Most people would call the police or Housing Board, or seek help from their MPs and grassroots leaders.

And if all else fails, some would sell their flats.

But there are other avenues for recourse, like going for mediation, filing a magistrate's complaint or a claim with the Community Disputes Resolution Tribunals (CDRT).

Mediation is a voluntary, private and confidential process, where two mediators help to facilitate discussions between parties in a dispute, in an effort to reach a mutually acceptable solution.

Mediation is handled by the Community Mediation Centre (CMC), set up in 1998 by the Ministry of Law to resolve conflicts in the community.

Mediation sessions are held in a soundproof room at the CMC where the privacy of parties involved is ensured.

A Ministry of Law spokesman said: "Written settlements reached by parties through mediation at the CMC are private contracts. These contracts are binding on both parties. The aggrieved party therefore has the option to enforce the agreement through civil proceedings."

From 1998 to 2017, more than 9,000 cases were mediated, with 70 per cent of them successfully settled.

Last year, 80 per cent of the cases mediated at the CMC were settled, said the spokesman.

In some cases, however, parties see themselves as the victims and are unwilling to negotiate for any type of settlement.

"For cases where parties are unable to resolve their disputes by voluntary mediation or other informal means, the aggrieved party can file a case with the Community Disputes Resolution Tribunals as a last resort," said the spokesman.

These cases will be governed under the Community Disputes Resolution Act.

Criminal lawyer Josephus Tan, managing director of Invictus Law Corporation, said: "As far as the law is concerned, it is not what you believe in but what you can prove, so it's advisable for applicants to produce evidence such as CCTV footage, appeal letters to government agencies, video and audio recordings, police reports, et cetera to support their applications.

"In a successful application, the CDRT can order your neighbour to pay for damages, to issue an apology, to direct your neighbour to do something or to stop doing something.

He added: "If after the CDRT has issued an order and the neighbour refuses to comply, the applicant can further apply for a special direction for the neighbour to comply."

Last year, the CDRT heard 108 cases of spats between neighbours, nearly double the 57 cases in 2017.

Alternatively, a magistrate's complaint could be filed to privately prosecute a neighbour for a non-arrestable offence, such as noise pollution and intentional harassment.

A fee of $20 is payable once the completed forms are submitted.

The complainant will have to swear the truth of the complaint before a chambers magistrate, who may direct the police to investigate.

Depending on the findings of the police, a summons could be served on the alleged offender.

The case could proceed to hearing and go to trial if the alleged offender pleads not guilty.

At the end of the hearing, the court will decide whether the alleged offender is guilty of the offences as charged.

In criminal cases, a magistrate can hear offences where the maximum jail term does not exceed five years or which are punishable with a fine only.

For a person facing harassment acts by a neighbour, there is another avenue for recourse under the Protection from Harassment Act (Poha).

The person can apply for a protection order, or an expedited protection order in urgent cases, at the Poha Registry located at the State Courts, said Mr Tan.

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:05 PM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

They should come up with law to fine those neighbours from hell jialat jialat or in worst case confiscate their flat, then these people will scare.
When you arise in the morning think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive, to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:11 PM

Kxbc
  • Kxbc
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Laws are only useful if policed and enforced regularly.

See the laws on pmd? Also have applicable laws..... But.....

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:22 PM

Dleodleo
  • Premium member
    Dleodleo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Which blk in ponggol? So far they never reveal. Better watch out if want to buy any resale flat in ponggol.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:03 AM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Free urine from your neighbor
https://www.straitst...ine-on-doorstep

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:28 AM

Ichibawa
  • Premium member
    Ichibawa
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Many a times, I find our police a just toothless tigers. Clearly there are harassment in this case and they are unable to do anything to serve a warning to the perpetrator. 

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Many a times, I find our police a just toothless tigers. Clearly there are harassment in this case and they are unable to do anything to serve a warning to the perpetrator. 

They are very busy la.

Need to allocate resources to surround CSJ.

That is all.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:35 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Is this the block where six units already sold because of neighbor from hell? Some news earlier.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:56 AM

Tonyng
  • Tonyng
    5th Gear
    Author Image

This is an issue of poor authority coordination and blame-pushing. 

And it is not right to ask the victims to spend money to go to court - unless landed haha. 

If talk nice cannot, Gov can always make law - can make fake news law, regulate scooters and drones - I confident it can be done. 

Just make a law and imprison even 1 day or 2 day and step up to infinity with each infringement - easy.

Need psychiatric help? Go IMH - also got prison. 

[:p]

Edited by Tonyng, 12 July 2019 - 09:56 AM.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:05 AM

PSP415
  • PSP415
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Law to the mentally ill?

If they take regular medication, they are "ok" if zombie state is considered ok. No take medication, they are in another world and like in this case, a problem for neighbours.

Even if arrested, will be released after a season where they are given their medication. How to keep them forever at IMH? Heck, most times their own family dun want them.

Normal nuisance can go jail, get fined. This type go jail? Will drive everyone up the wall daily. Fine? Some may need support themselves, where got money for fines?

No brainer that till a cure can be found to effectively heal their minds, not easy to handle them as normal methods dun work or not as effectively. Stupidity no cure, this type still be slightly better with some re-integrated into society as your colleague or my colleague πŸ˜….

Had 1 colleague suffering from a mental condition. Can do simple tasks like sending mails from mailroom to sections or managers/directors office. She will be smiling and talking to an invisible person most times. But when she "fell in love" with a director, he freaked out. Cos she went around saying he kissed her or hugged her. He wasn't even in the office as he travels a fair bit.

She was employed on humanitarian grounds. Her mum begged for a chance. She was actually a cheerful and pleasant gal. The gal next door type. Then one day, she just started acting paranoid, saying she heard voices and ppl want to kill her. Never the same liao. She was only 22 years old then.

She worked for 2 years until her condition worsened. She is now on/off at IMH. If not, will stay at home and screamed profanities once in awhile. Medication only numb her mind. Nothing that offers a cure to the torment of a sick mind. Last i heard, no change. Her mum has passed on and a younger sister is taking care of her.

Just a sharing. The law is not much use to a mentally ill person. At most, just locked up at IMH. But because as long as they take medication, they are "normal", they will be discharged.

It will be good if there's a device that regularly injects their medication but its not a cure. Just knock them out.

Good neighbours are blessings.

Just sharing. Sorry for OT.

Safe ride. Take care of mind.
Cheers

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:32 AM

Karoon
  • Premium member
    Karoon
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Law to the mentally ill?

If they take regular medication, they are "ok" if zombie state is considered ok. No take medication, they are in another world and like in this case, a problem for neighbours.

Even if arrested, will be released after a season where they are given their medication. How to keep them forever at IMH? Heck, most times their own family dun want them.

Normal nuisance can go jail, get fined. This type go jail? Will drive everyone up the wall daily. Fine? Some may need support themselves, where got money for fines?

No brainer that till a cure can be found to effectively heal their minds, not easy to handle them as normal methods dun work or not as effectively. Stupidity no cure, this type still be slightly better with some re-integrated into society as your colleague or my colleague πŸ˜….

Had 1 colleague suffering from a mental condition. Can do simple tasks like sending mails from mailroom to sections or managers/directors office. She will be smiling and talking to an invisible person most times. But when she "fell in love" with a director, he freaked out. Cos she went around saying he kissed her or hugged her. He wasn't even in the office as he travels a fair bit.

She was employed on humanitarian grounds. Her mum begged for a chance. She was actually a cheerful and pleasant gal. The gal next door type. Then one day, she just started acting paranoid, saying she heard voices and ppl want to kill her. Never the same liao. She was only 22 years old then.

She worked for 2 years until her condition worsened. She is now on/off at IMH. If not, will stay at home and screamed profanities once in awhile. Medication only numb her mind. Nothing that offers a cure to the torment of a sick mind. Last i heard, no change. Her mum has passed on and a younger sister is taking care of her.

Just a sharing. The law is not much use to a mentally ill person. At most, just locked up at IMH. But because as long as they take medication, they are "normal", they will be discharged.

It will be good if there's a device that regularly injects their medication but its not a cure. Just knock them out.

Good neighbours are blessings.

Just sharing. Sorry for OT.

Safe ride. Take care of mind.
Cheers

that's sad. Hope the girl could make a full recovery

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:37 AM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Mentally ill person, really dont know can cure completely? Or those medicine just simply control? Sometimes it is sad to get metal illness, seems like even worst than getting cancer?!

When you arise in the morning think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive, to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:39 AM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Mental illness is hard ..
Locking them up just isolates, very convenient and easy to do but imagine that person is you and this isolation will make your condition worse and you are simply locked away.

I hope we can really find a cure, or some surveillance system to keep patients healthy.
But it’s hard ..

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

you all say make law.... so what law you propose?

MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Another one
https://www.asiaone....lys-life-misery

Back to Property Buzz  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users