Neighbours from hell...

therock

I wonder if anyone has had this experience?

(please merge this if it's been discussed)

I had a good friend who was forced to move.. and I do agree we need more enforcement on this.. when I come home, I want peace and calm, not war...

(unless you are @jamesc with his MIL)...

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/do-more-to-help-those-who-live-with-bad-neighbours

With nearly 3,500 cases of neighbour disputes a year, it is time for the HDB to step up as lead agency to handle such spats.

The 17th floor of this block of Housing Board flats in Punggol looked normal and quiet. But I was there to chase a story about neighbour disputes and, within minutes, the tension was palpable.

I knocked on one resident's door. He showed me a video of his neighbour on his mobile phone. It showed a woman dragging a metal rod along the HDB flat corridor. "Be careful when you approach her for an interview," he warned.

Undeterred, I stood outside the flat people told me was the home of their difficult neighbour. As I was about to press the doorbell, the lift door opened.

A young woman stepped out and made a dash to her flat, avoiding the unit I was standing at. Her husband, who was waiting for her at the gate, jumped in shock when he saw me.

It was only when I approached them, saying I was a reporter, that they calmed down. I asked about their experiences living there. They replied softly, at times lowering their voices to a whisper, afraid they would be harassed by their neighbour for speaking to the press.

Their reaction underscored the apprehension they clearly felt towards their neighbour.

The couple is just one of many families who have been living in fear at the HDB block in Punggol for the past five years. They are concerned about the behaviour and actions of a common neighbour, who lives on the 17th floor, whom they dub the "neighbour from hell".

The neighbour in question is Madam Tan, a 51-year-old housewife and divorcee living with her adult son. Her neighbours accuse her of splashing oil at their doorsteps, playing loud music and stomping on the floor throughout the day and night. One neighbour even claimed she had left a bloody pig's ear on a shoe rack. Another said she had thrown a chair at him. A 56-year-old food stall operator said she is so fearful that she stays at her daughter's place whenever her husband works the overnight shift.

st_20190711_jlneighbour11_49688442.jpg

ST ILLUSTRATION : MIEL

Almost every household on the 17th and 18th floors have installed closed-circuit television cameras. Residents say the cameras are the only way to protect themselves because there is nothing the police can do to help them other than advising them to make a Magistrate's Complaint.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/neighbour-from-hell-drove-6-families-away

Is anyone here affected directly?

(not that you want to share - in case you are trying to sell  [laugh]  )

Over the past two years, one Housing Board block in Punggol has seen heavy market activity. Six households on the same floor moved out - because of one woman.

Dubbed the neighbour from hell, she is accused of splashing oil at others' doors, playing loud music and stomping on the floor. One neighbour even claimed she had left a bloody pig's ear on a shoe rack.

Multiple police reports have been made. Feeling helpless when told by the authorities that what she did was not an arrestable offence, six families to date have sold their flats, with the latest one moving out last November. New families who moved in said they have also made reports to the authorities.

The second resident in the Punggol Central HDB block to move out due to the neighbour did so with her husband and two-year-old daughter in February last year, five years after moving into the Build-To-Order block, which has a mix of two-, three-and four-room flats.

She told The Sunday Times that it was "so stressful" that she even appealed to HDB to let her sell her flat before completing the five-year minimum occupation period. Her appeal was rejected.

"I simply couldn't take it anymore. I would go home after work to find some kind of liquid splashed on my door. One day it was used cooking oil, another day it was porridge. The worst was when I saw a pig's ear on my shoe rack," she said.

"It was my first flat and I felt very 'suay' (unlucky). I sold my flat to another family. I felt sorry for them but everyone wants to escape."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

WHAT CAN YOU DO WHEN YOU HAVE A DISPUTE WITH A NEIGHBOUR?

Most people would call the police or Housing Board, or seek help from their MPs and grassroots leaders.

And if all else fails, some would sell their flats.

But there are other avenues for recourse, like going for mediation, filing a magistrate's complaint or a claim with the Community Disputes Resolution Tribunals (CDRT).

Mediation is a voluntary, private and confidential process, where two mediators help to facilitate discussions between parties in a dispute, in an effort to reach a mutually acceptable solution.

Mediation is handled by the Community Mediation Centre (CMC), set up in 1998 by the Ministry of Law to resolve conflicts in the community.

Mediation sessions are held in a soundproof room at the CMC where the privacy of parties involved is ensured.

A Ministry of Law spokesman said: "Written settlements reached by parties through mediation at the CMC are private contracts. These contracts are binding on both parties. The aggrieved party therefore has the option to enforce the agreement through civil proceedings."

From 1998 to 2017, more than 9,000 cases were mediated, with 70 per cent of them successfully settled.

Last year, 80 per cent of the cases mediated at the CMC were settled, said the spokesman.

In some cases, however, parties see themselves as the victims and are unwilling to negotiate for any type of settlement.

"For cases where parties are unable to resolve their disputes by voluntary mediation or other informal means, the aggrieved party can file a case with the Community Disputes Resolution Tribunals as a last resort," said the spokesman.

These cases will be governed under the Community Disputes Resolution Act.

Criminal lawyer Josephus Tan, managing director of Invictus Law Corporation, said: "As far as the law is concerned, it is not what you believe in but what you can prove, so it's advisable for applicants to produce evidence such as CCTV footage, appeal letters to government agencies, video and audio recordings, police reports, et cetera to support their applications.

"In a successful application, the CDRT can order your neighbour to pay for damages, to issue an apology, to direct your neighbour to do something or to stop doing something.

He added: "If after the CDRT has issued an order and the neighbour refuses to comply, the applicant can further apply for a special direction for the neighbour to comply."

Last year, the CDRT heard 108 cases of spats between neighbours, nearly double the 57 cases in 2017.

Alternatively, a magistrate's complaint could be filed to privately prosecute a neighbour for a non-arrestable offence, such as noise pollution and intentional harassment.

A fee of $20 is payable once the completed forms are submitted.

The complainant will have to swear the truth of the complaint before a chambers magistrate, who may direct the police to investigate.

Depending on the findings of the police, a summons could be served on the alleged offender.

The case could proceed to hearing and go to trial if the alleged offender pleads not guilty.

At the end of the hearing, the court will decide whether the alleged offender is guilty of the offences as charged.

In criminal cases, a magistrate can hear offences where the maximum jail term does not exceed five years or which are punishable with a fine only.

For a person facing harassment acts by a neighbour, there is another avenue for recourse under the Protection from Harassment Act (Poha).

The person can apply for a protection order, or an expedited protection order in urgent cases, at the Poha Registry located at the State Courts, said Mr Tan.

Supersonic

They should come up with law to fine those neighbours from hell jialat jialat or in worst case confiscate their flat, then these people will scare.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Laws are only useful if policed and enforced regularly.

See the laws on pmd? Also have applicable laws..... But.....

• Praise 3

Many a times, I find our police a just toothless tigers. Clearly there are harassment in this case and they are unable to do anything to serve a warning to the perpetrator. 

Supersonic

Many a times, I find our police a just toothless tigers. Clearly there are harassment in this case and they are unable to do anything to serve a warning to the perpetrator. 

They are very busy la.

Need to allocate resources to surround CSJ.

(edited)

This is an issue of poor authority coordination and blame-pushing. 

And it is not right to ask the victims to spend money to go to court - unless landed haha. 

If talk nice cannot, Gov can always make law - can make fake news law, regulate scooters and drones - I confident it can be done. 

Just make a law and imprison even 1 day or 2 day and step up to infinity with each infringement - easy.

Need psychiatric help? Go IMH - also got prison. 

[:p]

Edited by Tonyng

Law to the mentally ill?

If they take regular medication, they are "ok" if zombie state is considered ok. No take medication, they are in another world and like in this case, a problem for neighbours.

Even if arrested, will be released after a season where they are given their medication. How to keep them forever at IMH? Heck, most times their own family dun want them.

Normal nuisance can go jail, get fined. This type go jail? Will drive everyone up the wall daily. Fine? Some may need support themselves, where got money for fines?

No brainer that till a cure can be found to effectively heal their minds, not easy to handle them as normal methods dun work or not as effectively. Stupidity no cure, this type still be slightly better with some re-integrated into society as your colleague or my colleague

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Law to the mentally ill?

If they take regular medication, they are "ok" if zombie state is considered ok. No take medication, they are in another world and like in this case, a problem for neighbours.

Even if arrested, will be released after a season where they are given their medication. How to keep them forever at IMH? Heck, most times their own family dun want them.

Normal nuisance can go jail, get fined. This type go jail? Will drive everyone up the wall daily. Fine? Some may need support themselves, where got money for fines?

No brainer that till a cure can be found to effectively heal their minds, not easy to handle them as normal methods dun work or not as effectively. Stupidity no cure, this type still be slightly better with some re-integrated into society as your colleague or my colleague

Supersonic

Mentally ill person, really dont know can cure completely? Or those medicine just simply control? Sometimes it is sad to get metal illness, seems like even worst than getting cancer?!

Mental illness is hard ..

Locking them up just isolates, very convenient and easy to do but imagine that person is you and this isolation will make your condition worse and you are simply locked away.

I hope we can really find a cure, or some surveillance system to keep patients healthy.

But it’s hard ..

Turbocharged

I can understand when 2 families of a private estate have a dispute, it is very difficult for enforcement authorities to step in without clear evidences. 

When incidents happen within HDB, it drags till owners have to move out. It is hard to believe nothing HDB could do. If it affects HDB, wonder the situation is the same. Fish tank is a simple case and I do support it has to be removed. 

Supersonic

I can understand when 2 families of a private estate have a dispute, it is very difficult for enforcement authorities to step in without clear evidences. 

When incidents happen within HDB, it drags till owners have to move out. It is hard to believe nothing HDB could do. If it affects HDB, wonder the situation is the same. Fish tank is a simple case and I do support it has to be removed. 

Noisy and inconsiderate neighbor doesnt affect HDB at all, not their problem at all cause they dont stay in that house. So they do not need to take action. Thats why inconsiderate people continue their ugly behavior.

Noisy and inconsiderate neighbor doesnt affect HDB at all, not their problem at all cause they dont stay in that house. So they do not need to take action. Thats why inconsiderate people continue their ugly behavior.

Bad or poor upbringing.

Regardless type of housing. Whether more or less occurences. HDB is like, more units than the others so obviously will read of more of such inconsiderate and self entitled mentality. Other than mentally challenged ones where ppl move out, perhaps other cases have history of bad blood not shared. Hence abit unfair to say HDB no take action.

Heck, a cousin shared that HDB officer came to her house one day. No one was home but officer left a note for her to return a phone call.

She did. There was a complaint from her neighbour (not direct as they loved to play with her Japanese Spitz) that her dog was barking loudly.

The officer say "when i knocked on the door, your dog was barking very loudly and non-stop"

My cousin most indignantly replied : He's a dog. You expect him to meow? And you are a stranger knocking on my door, of course he will be very excited to carry on a conversation with you. So, he needs to learn to meow and speak human language too?"

Case closed. She told the officer to tell the neighbour if can find such a linguistically talented dog, let her know. And her dog barks only if there are ppl knocking on the door. So quit disturbing her dog too.

She's got a home cam. Can see kids playing outside her house and laughingly run off once her dog starts meowing, i mean, barking.

Some neighbours got eat no eat will kpkb.

So some are genuine mental issues, very hard to talk to them in their "language" unless same world.

One time this same cousin had a neighbour knocking on her door at 6.30am. All sleeping. He complained that why chopping meat or such alot of noise from her kitchen.

Guess what? No one in the house of 6 was awake till his knocking. This idiotic neighbour say he wants to go into the house to see for himself and that maybe noise came from one of the bedrooms. She told him off. He need to see a shrink or go ENT for check up.

That's neighbours. Good, bad, mad, idiotic, kpkb type all have.

Dun broad brush. Dunno details dun judge or assume.

Just my tots

Safe ride

Cheers

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1