Indonesia to build link bridge between Bintan and Batam

PSP415

Supersonic

In 1990s there was indeed a off-the-cuff remark about a bridge connection between Singapore and Batam, especially when Singapore shipyards were desperate to expand on cheap land in Batam. That remained a mere remark and nothing materialized. I don't think it will ever materialize, anyway.

Now a bridge between Batam and Bintan... haven't read alot what the motivation or eventual goal for the bridge is. Bintan is off-limit to heavy industries which are concentrated in Batam. Bintan was all along earmarked for tourism development, even with Singapore companies leasing Northern coast of Bintan for 20-30 tourism development.

Now, the new Bintan airport is in limbo (not sure if construction work has completely stopped). Had a chat with immigation officers while waiting for our boat clearance when I was in Bintan 2 weeks ago, nothing much has changed with a lot of abandoned or postponed tourism projects.

So, what is the bridge for? Just gotta wait to see Indonesia's justification.

Now that u mention it, I did recall Marlboro Tan did talk abt building a bridge between Sg and Batam & Bintan in the 90s as part of some Riau thingy. After that boh sia
↡ Advertisement

I think its ease of transport connectivity from future T5 to Bintan (short flight or ferry?).

Hence Indonesia wants a link bridge to Batam so that Chinese tourists or tourists visiting Singapore can take advantage of the new connection to shop, eat, whatever on their 2 islands.

Read that this idea first came up in 2004. Thats 15 years ago. They hope to start construction by/in 2020 saying it will take 3-4 years to complete.

Think erhem S$ may be brought up to fund seed the project? U know, ai sand mai?

• Praise 1

Frankly, i dun think it will take off.

Er, think u mistaken the "suka suka-ness" party. Its the 94 years old guy next door who got track record for the u-turn, no-turn, cannot turn and sometimes half turn half stop.

Goodwill with Singapore is steady one. Just pay only what. They pay us. No surprises there.

But moolah for them will be an issue. 14 years and still must wait till 2020 to start. And the moolah to develop the 2 islands until swee swee no water leak is another pile of moolah. Then attractions on islands?

Think they also planning to move out of Jakarta to a new capital. More moolah needed.

Just my tots

Safe ride

Cheers

Indonesia will not lack of investment moolah lah.

They have Australia as the closest neighbour to woo them.

They have USA who wants to woo them. To balance the military powers in SEA region vs North Asia.

Many USA MNC also have manufacturing in Indonesia. 

China also wants to tap into the huge natural resources, have been trading since the middle ages.

200 over million population, as the country develop the huge middle income group will need to find place to spend $$$$.

Make sense to invest with them 50 years earlier or more. 

Indonesia will not lack of investment moolah lah.

They have Australia as the closest neighbour to woo them.

They have USA who wants to woo them. To balance the military powers in SEA region vs North Asia.

Many USA MNC also have manufacturing in Indonesia.

China also wants to tap into the huge natural resources, have been trading since the middle ages.

200 over million population, as the country develop the huge middle income group will need to find place to spend $$$$.

Make sense to invest with them 50 years earlier or more.

Noted.

Its the many ways moolah have a habit of wandering off that's on my mind. And the speed of progress is also something to adapt to. Machiam a different time zone

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Now that u mention it, I did recall Marlboro Tan did talk abt building a bridge between Sg and Batam & Bintan in the 90s as part of some Riau thingy. After that boh sia

i wouldnt want a road bridge between sg and batam...wouldnt want their riders/drivers anywhere near our roads

• Praise 3

Agree, batam cars really cui, alot motorcycle too

Think their Kastam will take longer than MY side.

Asking for kopi takes a long time.