Vantage Motors Sells BYD

therock

Ppl dont get it. In 30mins in sgp I can get to my destination in a petrol/diesel/hybrid car instead of drinking kopi while waiting for the car to get charged.

↡ Advertisement

Many PMDs caught fire when charging, even Tesla has at least one reported incident of car catching fire when charging. I dont know how many landed owners would want to risk their house to buy an electric car. Haha

One more example here, a Porsche caught fire in Thailand when charging and burnt down nearly half a bungalow. Not trying to be negative, EV technology, in particularly the battery is still not as matured as it should be, so if one wants to buy an EV, go charge in a condo car park, HDB car park or open space, dont charge it in your own multimillion dollars house.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1429518/porsche-catches-fire-while-charging

pmd and cars very different.

if they put in the same same effort to check the pmd like they were check our cars.

i am sure all our pmd no problem with charging also [;)]

I understand we have standards, and we won’t have PMD fires if everyone adhered to them.. but let’s see ..

Hurry hurry, someone go invent power banks for EV, best is incorporate wireless charging. 

And then we can have charging on the move wireless. ^_^  [laugh]  [laugh]

(edited)

Either they did not, or they have done so but made a conscious decision to take a plunge. We all know EV is not going to get popular anytime soon, it will not be the mainstream vehicle that consumers will buy for many years to come in sgp for a few obvious reasons :

1. Charging points are still not readily available.

2. Even if could find one, one will have to leave his car there for a few hours as compare to 10 mins job visiting a petrol kiosk. This is inconvenience unless the charging point is in the same building as your office.

3. What about weekend? One need to leave his car or drive back his car to his office building for charging.

4. If you drive an EV, I don't believe you would dare to drive into Malaysia unless you have another landed property there having a charging point.

In summary, EV is not going to fly for now, neither is BYD, that means Vantage takes the dealership not for volume game, and they must have knew that this is going to be a niche market instead of a mass market game.

Vintage is owned by Sime Darby group. Got deep pocket, can play a very long game. I believe EV will take over internal combustion vehicle in the near future. It is a very strategic move to lock in a dealership when you can still negotiate favorable terms. It will be mass market soon.

I have no issue with home charging (they will be in HDB car parks soon, I believe) and with a range of more than 500km for the Tesla S model and century sprlnt of 4s, no more petrol top up, my next (or next next) car may be an EV. Provided i can afford it.

MY is however a problem but I think MY tax incentive for EV is better than SG, so they might move faster than us.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

The fastest infrastructure is to build charging ports at alternate HDB parking lots, or alternate level at HDB parking lots, or even maybe designated levels. But, there will always be that big "BUT", that is no demand for the charging ports.

A big pool of such cars means a big increase in electricity demand for the island. Will the gov want to see a big increase in demand in electricity supply? Lets not forget all the campaigns to save electricity. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Who pays for it? Doubt govt will wanna pay.

Twincharged

There are already BYD electric cars on the road. These are driven my taxis and for private hire. Supposing they are still here means it should not be that bad due to the high mileage they clocked every month.

I remain cautiously optimistic on electric cars... and they must be cars first, not just a four door tin can on wheels powered by batteries..

The whole concept of fun, engagement must still be there.  

So if you are doing up your home, do consider a 35A plug, and also access for solar panels and such.. 

There are exciting times ahead.. 

• Praise 2

There are already BYD electric cars on the road. These are driven my taxis and for private hire. Supposing they are still here means it should not be that bad due to the high mileage they clocked every month.

i actually take 1 b4. i didnt realize its electric only after 5 mins.

the uncle only complain is the long charging time.

• Praise 1

Smart move... first mover to make these chargers available.. like mineral water, they can charge a lot more for the same water...

If you are out and empty, you'll pay 2-3 times more to get enough juice to go home..

Can we buy shares in SP?

Smart move... first mover to make these chargers available.. like mineral water, they can charge a lot more for the same water...

If you are out and empty, you'll pay 2-3 times more to get enough juice to go home..

Can we buy shares in SP?

You already have if you have a pink IC as it is owned by Temasek which is owned by Ah Gong. Indirect voting rights once every 4 years. Wahaha...

If you watched Knight and Day - Tom Cruise, they had this fancy battery ... 

Until then, the batteries are going to weigh a few hundred kg..

Actually one of the cheapest Electric Cars was the B250... this B Class had an engine made by Tesla! 

0-100 in 6 plus seconds... you can still ask a PI to bring it in...

If it's a private org doing it, doubt the rates are gonna be cheap. They are going to recoup the costs and make profits.

Can't beat this....

I am waiting for this station to open and give opening discount!

Quick math says every hr SPC pays 500 dollars for lease and financing everyday, 24 hr a day, 7 days a week for 30 years.  If 1 hr pump average 25-50 cars, every car has to pay 10 -20 dollars "rent" to pump.....Amazing!

Can't beat this....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1