Vantage Motors Sells BYD

therock

Supersonic

I am waiting for this station to open and give opening discount!

Quick math says every hr SPC pays 500 dollars for lease and financing everyday, 24 hr a day, 7 days a week for 30 years.  If 1 hr pump average 25-50 cars, every car has to pay 10 -20 dollars "rent" to pump.....Amazing!

Wah. So 10-20$ of rent to govt for the land. And how much more in fuel taxes?

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

i actually take 1 b4. i didnt realize its electric only after 5 mins.

the uncle only complain is the long charging time.

There is also Hyundai kona electric that is used by ComfortDelgado taxi. That one acceleration is powerful sia. Met one when he drove off once green light, I can only smell his backside.

The rough math is correct - around 800K vehicles (don't count motorbikes and public buses) and 57 petrol stations.  Assuming each vehicle top up once a week on average, number of vehicles topping up at each station is (800K X 56)/(57X365) = 2153 per day per station.  12K rental a day means each vehicle must contribute about 6  dollars to rental per visit.

Next time topping up better stay long to enjoy the air con since already paid $6!

Wah. So 10-20$ of rent to govt for the land. And how much more in fuel taxes?

wah electric cars...

nowadays got so many BlueSG everywhere.

what's the standard of the electric car chargers huh? I've never paid any attention to it before, but can try to, let's say, park one of these electric cars, and then 'borrow' the BlueSG cars charging cable to charge or not huh? [laugh] 

Are they compatible or the same? Or is it like last time all the phones like that - Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, etc. all have different charging heads? [sweatdrop]

BlueSG allows others to use their charging with a fee.

• Praise 2

Some models adhere to a certain standard, but others don't so it's all very messy right now... 

It will be very different if the government steps in to unify things.. 

It's a lot simpler in the EU and California..

hmm... then i guess it's better to wait for some standard to be adopted before going in? Else buy one type already, next time the govt adopts another type as standard, then sure mati... [sweatdrop]

(edited)

Dont forget the car industry here is more or less affected by the rules set by the authorities. They can anytime drop a bombshell on the whole EV thingy. Their ultimate aim is still car lite. I wont be too optimistic about the environment here even though the tech on EV is advancing at a rapid rate.

IMO the car dealers are at the helm of the authorities.

Edited by Watwheels

BlueSG allows others to use their charging with a fee.

Oh really? That's interesting.

- how much or how do they charge? and how to pay? on-line?

- which other car(s) use the same charging standard as BlueSG?

It's good to hang back a bit, and yes, the government may baulk at supporting e-cars if the adoption rate is too good and buyers find some kind of loophole to get cars cheap.

BUT...

Sat ERP is coming. So it's possible for them to support e cars and build a network of power and charging points. 

The hit may not be the costs of the car or even the power, they can make it hard to run cars... don't rely on petrol and their tariffs, instead charge for running distances. 

Oh really? That's interesting.

- how much or how do they charge? and how to pay? on-line?

- which other car(s) use the same charging standard as BlueSG?

Not sure. I saw in their website. Good now live HDB also can own electric car.

• Praise 1

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/family-in-boon-lay-housing-board-flat-fire-safe-but-have-lost-most-of-their-belongings

I don't know if it's related to charging, but I foresee more fires if E-Car buyers go cheap on their chargers and cables..

No, you say? Singaporeans are famous for going OEM or using 'non-originals' to save... and it will be interesting to see if there are warranty or even insurance issues.

E Cars will become a new field for insurance companies... exciting times..

Garmen no money, you think they so kind?

They will reply on petrol tariffs, road taxes, ARFs, COE, PLUS new revenue stream of Satellite Road Pricing!

It's good to hang back a bit, and yes, the government may baulk at supporting e-cars if the adoption rate is too good and buyers find some kind of loophole to get cars cheap.

BUT...

Sat ERP is coming. So it's possible for them to support e cars and build a network of power and charging points. 

The hit may not be the costs of the car or even the power, they can make it hard to run cars... don't rely on petrol and their tariffs, instead charge for running distances. 

• Praise 2

Garmen no money, you think they so kind?

They will reply on petrol tariffs, road taxes, ARFs, COE, PLUS new revenue stream of Satellite Road Pricing!

Agree. Too much revenue at stake. They talked so much about carbon footprint, going green etc but If they go the Norway way, other taxes will need to raise. Hope satellite ERP can help to bring EV revolution to SG but ARF and petrol duties???

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2019/06/18/electric-cars-why-little-norway-leads-the-world-in-ev-usage/amp/

• Praise 2

Agree. Too much revenue at stake. They talked so much about carbon footprint, going green etc but If they go the Norway way, other taxes will need to raise. Hope satellite ERP can help to bring EV revolution to SG but ARF and petrol duties???

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel/2019/06/18/electric-cars-why-little-norway-leads-the-world-in-ev-usage/amp/

I can imagine this.

Car number cut by 20%

Gst increase to 20% to cover up.

(Be careful of what we wish for)

There will be no way back

• Praise 2

Supersonic

I saw some HDB in Simei already have charging ports in the car park and some condos as well. I saw a few charging ports inside Hyflux compound but the kuku thing is that you need to pay for both charging and car park. 

As usual, got charging points oso limited use coz many ppl still do not know how to share

Juz look at the green car / electric car lots in many shopping centres. Many petrol or diesel cars bo chap park there n the carpark mgt oso dun bother to enforce.....

• Praise 2

I have not seen many private ownership of electric cars apart from the one single white Model S on the road. The rest are PHVs. I see more moving Nissan leaf in Myanmar than on Sg roads. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I have not seen many private ownership of electric cars apart from the one single white Model S on the road. The rest are PHVs. I see more moving Nissan leaf in Myanmar than on Sg roads.

Coz in Sg, hybrid or elec cars more ex even after we subsidise it ourselves, not gahmen. Damn kuku policy

In Norway, even hearse oso use Tesla coz got lots of tax exemptions

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/ford-agent-lands-byd-dealership

I'm excited by the prospects of the introduction of BYD cars, but I'm apprehensive about Vantage Motors as their agent...

Their track record with Ford has not been the best..

As for the idea of buying an electric car, there's a whole debate on how green they really are, especially when you take into account the carbon footprint of making the battery and it's disposal.

As for buying Chinese, that's ok, there are different levels of QC - their local Chinese market ones can be quite nasty, but their better ones are very impressive. I think they will want to put their best food forward.. and already BYD cars are being used as taxis..

Vantage will be pleased, their business has been rather slow recently..

BTW mods:

BYD is not a selectable option in the list of car brands for discussion...

FYI...

I have the opportunity to be ferried around in a friend's Song Max (1.5L Turbo) during my trip to QingDao last Dec. Surprisingly well built car with very decent performance (156hp / 240Nm). Space is similar to a Mazda 5 and Toyota Wish.

FYI, the car is the brain child of Wolfgang Egger (former Head of Design in Audi Group and Lancia, who is now the Design Director in BYD - since 2017), and probably the reason why all new BYD model have big grille with horizontal chromed stripes... [cool]

byd_song_max_2.jpeg

byd_song_max_4.jpeg

byd_song_max_7.jpeg

byd_song_max_24.jpeg

In Singapore context, Vantage should bring in the same 1.5T version, if not the Song Max DM (plug-in hybrid with 158hp / 250Nm), so as to be able to reach out to more potential buyer. Anyway, look forward to it launch next year.

byd_song_max_84.jpeg

byd_song_max_6.jpeg

byd_song_max_dm.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6