Singapore Private Property prices still up or down? Part III

pChou

(edited)

Yup I know - cdl won the new bid instead of guoccoland

What I’m saying is the previous developer (guoccoland) doesn’t even want to make a higher bid price for the new sims drive site...

Essentially what they are doing is to set a `floor’ price to protect their Sims Oasis. If they won, they do not necessary have to sell at a lower price. In fact, they could just sell at the same price and earn a bigger margin (ignoring higher construction costs here). And if the market is really going south, they could average down their land cost in this area. Win-win.

But in the end, HL came to `support’ the land price here by bidding higher than Sims Oasis land cost. Having said that, CDL did launch Whistler Grand at cut-throat price unexpected by the market in the West Coast area....so they can do the same here too...

Taking out my pop corn to watch show....enjoying the show now lol

Edited by F10_Blackhawk
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

How to find out thw 99LH is genuine 99LH or the type carved out of FH land? I was told the latter has less or no prospect of good enbloc but the former has some, theoretically.

Hypersonic

Used to eat steam boat there. The small hotel?

Nice, after eat steamboat ... check in to the small hotel? [;)][:p]:D
  • Praise 7

"However, prices of apartments in the non-central region, excluding small units, rose 0.2 per cent in February to reverse a 0.1 per cent slip in January."

Is the fall in central prices due to the decreased possibility of en bloc moving forward? Prices during the en bloc era a few cycles back may have caused prices to shoot beyond their natural cycle and a correction now seems pretty normal.

That may possibly be why ocr units are steading as compared to city prices?

Essentially what they are doing is to set a `floorâ price to protect their Sims Oasis. If they won, they do not necessary have to sell at a lower price. In fact, they could just sell at the same price and earn a bigger margin (ignoring higher construction costs here). And if the market is really going south, they could average down their land cost in this area. Win-win.

But in the end, HL came to `supportâ the land price here by bidding higher than Sims Oasis land cost. Having said that, CDL did launch Whistler Grand at cut-throat price unexpected by the market in the West Coast area....so they can do the same here too...

Taking out my pop corn to watch show....enjoying the show now lol

A good show for some, but painful to watch and experience for some others.

My guess is property prices will fall further in 2019.

The pool of cash-rich enbloc owners is drying up.

Some of them have yet to receive the whole sum.

Slow release remember?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I think it all depends on interest rates.. I would think price would fall further if rates goes up.

But now I am not sure. The current pricing can support for interest rates of around 2.4%

I think it all depends on interest rates.. I would think price would fall further if rates goes up.

But now I am not sure. The current pricing can support for interest rates of around 2.4%

It really isn't as simple as just interest rates as the key driver. You're making broad assumptions that everyone takes a loan? Some may be cpf rich, some upgraders or maybe just flush with cash?

Do you think interest rates affect buyers as much as income levels?

Interest rates have also gone up and down in the car market, but do you see buyers look at that as the main driver?

We have seen u preach about interest rates n well, interest rates n apparently U Chose to buy when interest rates went up and not when rates were low?

• Praise 1

It really isn't as simple as just interest rates as the key driver. You're making broad assumptions that everyone takes a loan? Some may be cpf rich, some upgraders or maybe just flush with cash?

Interest rates have also gone up and down in the car market, but do you see buyers look at that as the main driver?

We have seen u preach about interest rates n well, interest rates n apparently U Chose to buy when interest rates went up and not when rates were low?

I am curious now what would those naysayers who kept harping that `interest rates going up, property prices will go south” now say? No more rate increase for the rest of the year? As for me, i have never bothered whether interest rates are up or down. There are other more significant factors that affect property prices.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/fed-done-raising-interest-rates--significant-chance-of-cut-in-2020--reuters-poll-11391048

• Praise 3

Some of them have yet to receive the whole sum.

Slow release remember?

Suddenly remembered glycemic index as in diabetic food ..... slow release sugars
  • Praise 5

Hypersonic

"However, prices of apartments in the non-central region, excluding small units, rose 0.2 per cent in February to reverse a 0.1 per cent slip in January."

Is the fall in central prices due to the decreased possibility of en bloc moving forward? Prices during the en bloc era a few cycles back may have caused prices to shoot beyond their natural cycle and a correction now seems pretty normal.

That may possibly be why ocr units are steading as compared to city prices?

Good point. During enbloc fever opportunistic sellers asking sky prices, with some actually sold, to investors punting for enbloc windfall.

Now cooling off, serious sellers would have to come back down to earth, with more realistic pricing [:p]

That said ... [;)]

https://www.edgeprop.sg/property-news/prime-projects-continue-see-steady-take-set-benchmark-prices

Prime projects continue to see steady take-up, set benchmark prices

As mentioned previously, lots of pent up demand from many years of CM, as evident from the thousands at every new launch.

New sales numbers may not be great though, as many still on 'wait and see' from last ABSD increase and the relatively still 'high' new launch psf prices.

OCR prices will continue to remain supported from pent-up demand- HDB upgraders/investors due to lower quantum/ABSD.

• Praise 5

Supersonic

How to find out thw 99LH is genuine 99LH or the type carved out of FH land? I was told the latter has less or no prospect of good enbloc but the former has some, theoretically.

Isn't there one that is owned by the US govt near tanglin?

Turbocharged
(edited)

I think interest rate is a bigger factor than income levels. Low interest rates allow people to buy more expensive houses than what their income can afford. Just look around this forum lah.

If u think closely, u want to buy when interest rates are High not Low. I was betting interest rates will not go up further. The threat of rising interest did convince some sellers to drop prices to exit the market. I got my unit close to the 2017 bottom price.

Of course not everyone takes a loan, but who sets the price?? The buyer who is willing to pay the highest, investors speculators, and the sellers who is willing to take the lowest, people who need to exit. Just look at why our property market moves when interest rates fell. Was it because our income went up?

I think another factor for the rising prices was government makes it too lucrative for enbloc. This increases the prices of old resale as people were paying a premium in anticipation for enbloc. They fixed this though with the recent measures.

Edited by Wind30

Perhaps they did but I sometimes feel that these measures are like closing the barn doors after the horse has bolted..

Some get a lot of $$ and the whining complaining chaps who miss out are going to resent the government for not gifting them the same windfall..

Turbocharged

Perhaps they did but I sometimes feel that these measures are like closing the barn doors after the horse has bolted..

Some get a lot of $$ and the whining complaining chaps who miss out are going to resent the government for not gifting them the same windfall..

I don’t think the complainers are about not getting enbloc windfalls. Most people are just not happy that enbloc seems are pushing up housing prices in general for everyone.

Remember housing is not like errr bitcoin. Do people complain when they were left out of the bitcoin windfall?? No because it does not affect them. But when people speculate in housing, it affects everyone cuz everyone needs to buy a house.

I donât think the complainers are about not getting enbloc windfalls. Most people are just not happy that enbloc seems are pushing up housing prices in general for everyone.

Remember housing is not like errr bitcoin. Do people complain when they were left out of the bitcoin windfall?? No because it does not affect them. But when people speculate in housing, it affects everyone cuz everyone needs to buy a house.

More measured discussion.

One important consideration is while everyone needs to buy a house, does everyone need to buy a private (versus HDB)?

So we talk about relative inelastic nature of this demand and imperfect substitutes of housing (for each other).

Enbloc renewal has a role to play in SG landscape both from an aesthetic and functional objective as well as investment and financial objective.

↡ Advertisement