Suggestions for aircon for 4-room HDB flat

StreetFight3r

Turbocharged

Yap just do 1 time swee swee... no need headache later... and yes, MIT Starmax... mine coming 10 years.... still reliable... only one of the unit 1 change motor... after like 8plus years.. they are the quietest in the market...

dear bros here. i need some help for my mum's old HDB 4 room flat.

existing:

spoilt casement aircon in 1 room that is rented out

*planning to install system 2 aircon for the 2 other rooms. any recommendations for aircon brands/models?*

Criteria will be:

• not too expensive. is it possible for system 2 to be below $2000?
  • low energy consumption.
  • reliable.
as the house doesn't come with any existing aircon except the casement aircon may i know an estimate of the labor cost to fit in a system 2?
I got one trick

You upgrade your own house one Swee Swee

Mitsubishi starmex 5 ticks type

$4000 3 bedroom

Then the old one bring to your mum house to install

Because the trick need to install old aircon in another house, you can’t get best Denki to install the new aircon. Have to get a independent aircon contractor to do. Maybe can ask the radx Friend see how much

All in maybe $5000

was intending to leave it as it is. but also thought of the fact my mum can rent out that room at a higher price if got aircon for next tenant. current tenant only paying $300/mth for that room. and if install system 2 only, next time wanna install aircon for the other room it will nt be possible liao. not exactly expecting cheap and good cos cant expect best of both worlds but at least reasonable enough. did a few searches before posting here many prices. in the 3k 4k range. from harvey norman, courts, best denki, gaincity.... but the best is ask some bros here for advice

If got intention to continue to rent out the room or more rooms, it's impt to have aircon, as tenants are getting more and more picky - especially the decent ones.

Long ago, when my kids were born and my mother was helping to take care of them in the day, i also installed a system 2 at my parents' flat, for the living room and one bedroom! That was cos my parents said they don't need for the rooms...

Years later when they moved out (to stay with me), the a/c configuration was neither here nor there... and cannot 'add on', so had to replace with a brand-new system-3 when wanted to rent out...

Anyway, i found a photo i took maybe 1.5 yr ago at Giant:

post-17508-0-21650700-1563779002_thumb.jpeg

FYI and FYR.

Twincharged
(edited)

IMHO, just get a system 3 from Daikin or Starmex. I have both at current place and Parents place.

for the same temp setting starmex is colder but got a feeling that it consumes more. even the datasheet shows it consumes a tad more. the blower fan speed is also a little stronger in the starmex.

Both are just as reliable and differ by 100-200 max.

according to my aircon man, daikin fan coil is more robust than starmex, but on the condenser side Daikin is a little weaker with motherboard problems at times.

for me i cant tell the diff.

anyway it seems that locally starmex sells more. i  believe the incentive to sell starmex by the aircon man is higher than daikin. somehow they get to earn more by promoting starmex. cause i have heard this for the past 10years plus, whenever i ask any aircon man  daikin vs starmex. they always say starmex.

anyway, the unit the aircon guy claims is good is the 2 ticks one. he says its super robust.

http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/products/products_details.aspx?id=2763&prodName=%27MXY-3A28VA%20/%20MSY-GE10VA%20x%203%27

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

Daikin my clinic one has problems sometimes with water leaks and air not cold. But i suspect it's more of the installation was not done properly and the pipe keeps clogging.

But it still keeps functioning despite chemical washes etc.

Its already 9 years old and basically being used 15-16 hrs a day with only some repairs here and there along the way for above.

But not worth the premium over starmex.

I think water leak depend on pipe installation. I think many aircon installer are noob or purposely install that way so u can engage their service to clean up the drainage

I think water leak depend on pipe installation. I think many aircon installer are noob or purposely install that way so u can engage their service to clean up the drainage

Yeah i agree. With the regular daikin or Starmex series, clogging issues are likely due to installer problem.

Twincharged

yup agreed. water leaks are due to piss poor routing.

if the water pipes do a straight drop after the fan coil. it will never leak. all my home units are routed this way and have never ever leaked for the last 25years. hardly ever clean the drip tray too, although it is quite slimy whenever i remove it to clean.

• Praise 1

yup agreed. water leaks are due to piss poor routing.

if the water pipes do a straight drop after the fan coil. it will never leak. all my home units are routed this way and have never ever leaked for the last 25years. hardly ever clean the drip tray too, although it is quite slimy whenever i remove it to clean.

Yes best if pipe route straight drop, use bigger pipe and even if got water leakage, can use end of pipe route tip and vacuum it. Then drainage easy to clean also
  • Praise 1

Yes best if pipe route straight drop, use bigger pipe and even if got water leakage, can use end of pipe route tip and vacuum it. Then drainage easy to clean also

The water driain Pipe is need to vacuum once in a few months one (on every night)

If ok 24 hours a day, better vacuum every week

If need to vacuum very often ( as compared to usage time) then mean drain pipe cock up Liao

• Praise 1

The most important thing with aircon installation is to minimize the ducting length. Spend some time to study the house and plan where the ducting can run to achieve minimal length. This can save alot of headaches later especially with water drip.

In my past 30 years I had experience with 4 sets of split unit aircons. The first 2 sets (one after the other) had lengthy ducts passing through multiple rooms (just a 4 room flat). One of the bedroom ducting ran from mbr -> bedroom 1 -> storeroom -> bedroom 2. Water starts overflowing and dripping after just 2 years.

Currently I have 2 split units in my own house and parents house. 9 years and 11 years, never dripped any water and still working well. These 2 I personally studied and planned the optimized layout and ducting runs. If I had to hack big  hole thru thick wall to make the run shorter I will do it. Shorter runs of the copper gas pipings also make it efficient.

Btw, these 2 sets are mitsubishi starmex inverter. Love them.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Yeah i agree. With the regular daikin or Starmex series, clogging issues are likely due to installer problem.

My aircon pipe has a lot of slime.... that one cannot blame installer i guess

don't pcc into the pipe lar.... aiyo

Hahahahaha!!!!!

My aircon pipe has a lot of slime.... that one cannot blame installer i guess

slime in pipe cannot leave it there

Best is to periodically suck out of the slime from the pipe

Those normal vacuum cleaner is dry type cannot use one

To suck slime out of pipe, you need the wet type

:XD: :xd: :XD:

Supersonic

I now believe the water clogged in the discharged hose is due to the insufficient pipe diameter.

If the diameter is big enough, the algae will not be able to clog the pipe.

A small pipe can be easily clogged due to water surface tension.

Supersonic

Cheap and good wet vacuum:

Karcher WD1 Multi-Purpose Wet and Dry Vacuum Cleaner WITH BLOWER FUNCTIONS https://s.lazada.sg/s.5U9A

The suction is noisy but hey! It is expected for a vacuum with a strong suction your know :XD:

Yes yes. Trust you. You would know all about sucking strongly  [laugh]

Price is cheap but dunno where to put it as my house is small.

↡ Advertisement