Something to get off my Chest About Mercedes Cars

Heartlander

The current tail lights of the C, E and S class are exactly the same. Need to go nearer then look at model stuck on the boot then will know.

Many of their models are using the same wing mirrors as well.
↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Nowadays buying from the big 3 German ( Merc, Audi , BMW ) is like buying clothes .

Comes in a few sizes S , M , L , XL .

A3 macam A4 , A4 macam A6 , C class macam E , 3 series macam 5 .

Lexus also seems to be following suit with ES looking like a mini LS . Or shall I say the LS is a bigger version of the ES ? [rolleyes]

The german designers sibei lazy lah

Onli good at photocopying

• Praise 1

Imagine if all car makers follow this design approach for cost saving in the name of common brand identity, then the world will be a much boring place.

(edited)

What the germans did was to select the best design and then apply to all the sizes. I'm quite ok with this approach because it is unlikely for an owner to buy different variants within the same family, ie, S class, E class, C class, A class together. Yes there are some owners out there who have a saloon and SUV of the same make, but still not that common. If it is the best design out there, I don't mind it on a S or A class.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 3

No. But logic can be the same.

Actually I eat practically the same stuff every weekend. My wife asks if I don't get bored and wanna try something else. My response to her is that she better hope I don't get bored otherwise I might get bored of her too [laugh]

Waaa you the man ! U got extra sleep bag ?
  • Praise 3

(edited)

What the germans did was to select the best design and then apply to all the sizes. I'm quite ok with this approach because it is unlikely for an owner to buy different variants within the same family, ie, S class, E class, C class, A class together. Yes there are some owners out there who have a saloon and SUV of the same make, but still not that common. If it is the best design out there, I don't mind it on a S or A class.

There is an inherent flaw with this approach actually.

It would appear obvious that those buying the flagship models would be subsidizing those buying the entry models. By right each model within the model would be assigned a budget to come up with the new car, with flagship models getting bigger share of course. So the next iteration of the flagship models should have some exclusive features to differentiate from the rest.

Now the flagship owners might feel "cheapen" that the good things are not exclusive to the model as even the entry models where the owners pay so much lesser also get to enjoy the same features or designs. 

I am sure to feel this way if I could afford to buy the flagship models as I would be looking for some exclusivity and not find out that even a entry model has the same things as mine which I have paid much more. Anyway this is just my thoughts. I do not think I can afford to buy flagship models so I will actually benefit from this design approach haha.

Edit> I want to add that this approach definitely have resulted in some buying the lesser model since it also have al the bells and whistles in the higher-end models. By right some features, be it aesthetic or safety aspect, should be available only in higher-end models to entice buyers to get them.

Edited by Heartlander
  • Praise 2

It would appear obvious that those buying the flagship models would be subsidizing those buying the entry models. By right each model within the model would be assigned a budget to come up with the new car, with flagship models getting bigger share of course. So the next iteration of the flagship models should have some exclusive features to differentiate from the rest.

Now the flagship owners might feel "cheapen" that the good things are not exclusive to the model as even the entry models where the owners pay so much lesser also get to enjoy the same features or designs. 

I am sure to feel this way if I could afford to buy the flagship models as I would be looking for some exclusivity and not find out that even a entry model has the same things as mine which I have paid much more. Anyway this is just my thoughts. I do not think I can afford to buy flagship models so I will actually benefit from this design approach haha.

Edit> I want to add that this approach definitely have resulted in some buying the lesser model since it also have al the bells and whistles in the higher-end models. By right some features, be it aesthetic or safety aspect, should be available only in higher-end models to entice buyers to get them.

That should make the entry level models value for money and I am sure it should be within your reach.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

I used to drive an S Class. I have also driven and sat in E and C. Frankly the similarity and familiarity of the interior/cabin did not concern me at all. In fact it made for easier driving.

The differentiation mainly comes in size , comfort and "feel'. The difference is real, especially on longer drives.

Edited by sake
  • Praise 5

That should make the entry level models value for money and I am sure it should be within your reach.

Definitely this approach will benefit more people getting the lower end models since it should be a pyramid kind of sales figures.

I have mentioned I do not belong to this atas brand, will be going back to more grassroot brands if buy again.