Changes in employment landscape. Open legs

Staff69

Turbocharged

水能载舟,亦能覆舟. 表示事物用之得当则有利,反之必有弊害.

Foreigners can complement the workforce. But too many also can destabilise the country. Lets hope the ministars realise that

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I am not against foreigners but you need to groom your own core .

The jap I deal with, they been sending their fresh grads out and giving them lots of opportunities to learn the ropes . In recent years, you will see fresh grads tagging along with their seniors in overseas trips , building relationships with us.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

So what is the solution?

I think that Government should not stop giving EPs based on their absolute pay...

Even if the FT is paid $5k, but if he replaces a job that locally demands $7k for a good quality candidate, it is still bad for Singapore.

Reason are

1) It makes productivity goes down. When company hires people cheaper, they expects less from the candidate and is willing to accept a poorer quality candidate

2) it undercuts the pay of singaporeans

I think government should priorities EPs or PRs for People coming in from places like Taiwan, Hongkong, China Tier 1 cities like shanghai and beijing.

Candidates from this places are less likely to accept a low pay as the firms in those places pay comparable salary. If the companies are not able to offer cheap pay, they will be more selective in their hiring.

Example, the pay my company offers is pretty high (around 6k for fresh phd grads) but not higher than what the candidates can get in their home country but they move here to learn technology. 

The quality we expect from these foreign phd grads are also much higher than local grads. 

To me hiring expensive and good candidates help both the country and company as the quality will rub off on the locals. Similarly, if you go for cheap and low quality ones, how to improve productivity???

• Praise 3

MOM is barking up the wrong tree I can only say...

they chose to cut the wrong quotas

This is a refreshing point of view.

Since when did our government did the right things. Everything also do the opposite, siao liao. They all reach wizard level already.

In Beijing Silicon Valley, ppl works 6 x 12.

We want work life balance.

Some more in Sg, everything expensive.

I wouldn't say just only in Beijing, but probably the whole of China is willing to work very hard. This is in their DNA, no doubt they will surpass every one of us in the future.

• Praise 1

Actually every person in the tech sector knows this. It’s just those people who not in the sector will complain...

It’s actually a chicken and egg thing. Hiring more foreigners actually make it less attractive to locals, making the local tech grads quality drop, making companies hire more foreigners...

To the lay person, companies WANT WANT to hire locals because foreigners don’t stay Long... no attachment to Singapore...

But cannot find good ones...

I would like to offer another perspective of things, just a personal opinion. No offend to those who have a differing opinion.

Look it this way, if no local want to do those available jobs in the tech sectors, it either means that they have other better opportunities (offering better salary, career satisfaction and working hours) elsewhere, which imply that it is a good thing for the candidate. Or that there could be other reasons, such as changes in the industry that is so rapid that one skillsets become irrelevant very quickly.

Or that the working hours, conditions and environment -> become no longer attractive for the local to sacrifice the time and effort to work in this kind of industry.

I wouldn't say just only in Beijing, but probably the whole of China is willing to work very hard. This is in their DNA, no doubt they will surpass every one of us in the future.

Not really.

Those on lower end of payscale usually work doubly hard.

That's why e-commerce in China boom.  7 days also got delivery.

• Praise 1

We need to give young people a chance and women in countries like Japan and Korea that are very smart their own companies discriminates against them.

So we should get good looking young ladies from the best universities from Japan and Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam and Thailand.

Some of these young ladies from Thailand and Vietnam come from very rich and powerful families.

These are the ladies we should try to attract and welcome with open arms.

:D

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

I would like to offer another perspective of things, just a personal opinion. No offend to those who have a differing opinion.

Look it this way, if no local want to do those available jobs in the tech sectors, it either means that they have other better opportunities (offering better salary, career satisfaction and working hours) elsewhere, which imply that it is a good thing for the candidate. Or that there could be other reasons, such as changes in the industry that is so rapid that one skillsets become irrelevant very quickly.

Or that the working hours, conditions and environment -> become no longer attractive for the local to sacrifice the time and effort to work in this kind of industry.

Most times locals were ;out bid; for the job. If employers can get FT for $3.5K why pay more? Why FT can continue to live with lower pay need not explain again. So, if we continue to bring such people to compete,  there is no solution. I am not sure if i can use this example. Are we saying ministers in other countries are so lousy? Can we bring them at a fraction of our minster pay to save money? Haha

• Praise 3

They can open whatever gates but they have to get on the ground and double check and triple check on their degree, certification and most importantly they are working in the intended office and role, not apply as expert engineer but work as call centre operator or sales which requires no special skills.

Before opening, check existing FT and flush them out first. Haha

bo jio ... diu! .... [laugh]

Time to leave... oh ya... I already left [:p][laugh] [laugh]

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

seriously, we can talk about it until the cows go home or the moon turn blue.... at the end of the day, at the ballot box, we still drop that chit with a tick to the lightning club... endorsing the mandate to allow their "Ownself check Ownself" or " Ownself think Ownself Right"

anyway GE is coming. I hope most of us grown a bigger diameter ball (one enough liao no need to be a pair)

we don't need to replace the Government but have more alternative voices or someone acts like a resistor to oppose ideas and proposals before passing which is unlike now.... Changing laws and regulations like flipping newpapers (i.e. our Presidential elections criteria, an Indian can also been qualified as a Malay which is so unconvincing yet they literally expects most of us to take it at Face Value  )

• Praise 4

FT is not any much better

well , at least the FT goes to GitHub to go online forum to get help on the application problem he is trying to solve. While the local "thinks" it the boss problem to solve because they cannot solve, boss paid higher, MUST solved.

• Praise 1

well , at least the FT goes to GitHub to go online forum to get help on the application problem he is trying to solve. While the local "thinks" it the boss problem to solve because they cannot solve, boss paid higher, MUST solved.

Erm.... usually this kind of problem comes up when bosses lose the respect of staff. Micro managed too far, or over do management by spreadsheet etc..
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2