New Recycling Bin from Ikea : re-use, recycle and save Earth

therock

Requirement:

1) The PC or laptop must be working.

2) You need to spend some small money, about $50 on a ssd. Should try to get at least 240gb. For example (I seen it dropped to us$27 before):

Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA 7MM 2.5-Inch SA400S37/240G https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5IB20Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ma5qDbHVGJP1H

3) You need a empty thumb drive or portable harddisk which is empty and is at least 4gb

Wow! SSD so low in price nowadays?

What’s 3) for?

↡ Advertisement

It will never work here, just like bicycle rental.

My place here the recycle bin always strewn with rubbish and the neighbourhood cardboard collector uncle auntie will never fail to mess up the bins. They dig up the whole bin just to look for things to sell and damn jialat man.

. I couldn't agree more with you as this is the same thing that I saw many times in my estate.

It really sad that oldies come to such extend.... and i really think the minister who said that they doing it as a form of exercise..is the biggest liar and i would slap his face left right and centre if he is related to me...Yes very the JiaLat.

• Praise 2

Never mind simi recycle bin, can we have more rubbish bin in the neighbourhood  or common area.

I wanna throw a tissue at a mrt station but walked 50m but still no rubbish bin in sight.

To cut down on manpower,  cutting down on rubbish bin apparently is the answer. Tsk tsk....

There used to be more bins. but all that changed with 9-11.

Hypersonic

Hey, I also wash(not thorough) the milk carton before I discard it into the recycling bin. I used to see the disposable ppl just chuck everything into the same mix into the dump truck. I still dunno whether there's any sorting and recycling done before the rubbish/waste get incinerated.

Anyone knows?

conversion to energy is also a form of recycling albeit not the most ideal

:D 

• Praise 1

I have big bags for those recyclables...but my children often just dump them into the one that’s not full and nearest to them...totally bo chup plastics go where, papers go where, metals go where..,

The 1 that filter out all these is the local recycling centre.

or can call them kalangguni . my work place there have a few. all the work done there, then they resell to main collector for recycling process

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Most countries that implement mandatory sorting for recycling removes most public rubbish bins. People are supposed to bring home their rubbish and sort them for recycling. [laugh]

Having said that, sorting will not work easily in SG with our tropical heat. Imagine who is going to keep their rubbish for a few days, sort them then bring them out for recycling ? We are one of the very few countries where rubbish trucks clear the trash every single day -- something that LKY was also very proud of. It solves the problem of the stench then you will notably smell during summer in most major cities - e.g. New York, Hong Kong, Shanghai, etc.

There are more things we can do though, not just recycling. Reduce and reuse are the main factors. Stop buying those small plastic bottle drinks. Bring your own water bottle. Reduce use of plastic bags. Reuse and repair electronics, stop upgrading your phones, TV, headphones every year. Use your own metal tiffin to da bao. Very simple things, just take a bit of discipline or making them a habit.

make it trendy for ladies to tabao.... atas designer brand can help

post-937-0-20339700-1564713258_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 2

Oh...the OS

Cool. I go find an used lappy to try try...

Before installing os on new ssd

Try installing os on your current hdd

But need to back up first

If can do, ssd sure can install os

It will take at least a generation or two coupled with stringent law to enforce the civilized culture or recycle waste at ground level.

I’ve seen kinder kids telling their granny not to throw rubbish into the recycle bin...they were taught just like they need to raise the arm while crossing at the zebra crossing etc

It’s a long journey...but we as adults must do the walking first...hope our future generations still get to stay in a green place with blue sky and white clouds

conversion to energy is also a form of recycling albeit not the most ideal

:D

Actually I think this will save us the earth the most

Supersonic

It will take at least a generation or two coupled with stringent law to enforce the civilized culture or recycle waste at ground level.

Iâve seen kinder kids telling their granny not to throw rubbish into the recycle bin...they were taught just like they need to raise the arm while crossing at the zebra crossing etc

Itâs a long journey...but we as adults must do the walking first...hope our future generations still get to stay in a green place with blue sky and white clouds

Loooooooong journey ahead bro

After how many years still got inconsiderate ppl who anyhow park in handicap lot, don't wear seat belt, don't use child seat, throw killer litter, spit in lift, etc, etc.

Or juz go to any aunty lucy n see how some f**ktards juz leave chilled meat, milk, etc on the normal shelves or near the checkout and walk off when they change their blardy (small) minds

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Same here in my estate. Those recycling bins are left open then the old people will come to take things that are valuable to them, the recycling company come and collect what? 

It will never work here, just like bicycle rental.

My place here the recycle bin always strewn with rubbish and the neighbourhood cardboard collector uncle auntie will never fail to mess up the bins. They dig up the whole bin just to look for things to sell and damn jialat man.

Same here in my estate. Those recycling bins are left open then the old people will come to take things that are valuable to them, the recycling company come and collect what?

Cannot say like that

The old guys are actually a more efficient form of recyclers

I think they are looking for salavagble items instead of raw material

Whereas the recycling companies are looking for raw material like plastic, glass, metal

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Feedback from a Bloobox user   😁

Commentary: I don’t need a free Bloobox to get me recycling at home

danny_bloobox.jpg?itok=hv5uw-MJ

I didn’t think much of the Bloobox at first, when the National Environment Agency (NEA) expanded the collection of free home recycling boxes for Singapore households nationwide in March. For one, I am against recycling as a first choice. It should be the last resort - to recover materials after we keep our possessions in use for as long as possible and repurpose them for a second life if need be. Even for those who strive to reduce and reuse first, there will be items that become obsolete, irreparable or are intended to be recycled. A Bloobox just didn’t seem necessary for someone like me who has been sorting and cleaning recyclables from my rubbish for some time now. My family has our own system set up at home, which simply involves a couple of cardboard boxes along my living room wall.

DO I NEED A BLOOBOX TO TELL ME TO RECYCLE?

But when I passed by a vending machine in Our Tampines Hub during my monthly Repair Kopitiam event last month, I decided to collect one anyway. Surely, I thought, an initiative to make it easier or clearer for everyone to recycle right should be worth a try. So I set it down beside my regular cartons and after some use, observed a few things. The Bloobox is washable, reusable and definitely appears sturdier than my carton boxes, which occasionally need replacing when they get dirty, broken or just dented out of shape after repeated usage. 

One benefit I didn’t expect was that the blue-coloured box made the area in my living room recognisable as a recycling area. When we had visitors over, they instinctively knew what to do with recyclables in hand, rather than mistake my cardboard boxes for general rubbish.

One thing I did not like about the Bloobox was that it was too small as a family bin. The experience trying to set up the origami box was also terrible. I took a full 10 minutes to unfold and keep all the parts unfolded, as it kept trying to return to its shipping shape. The flimsy divider didn’t work well to keep the walls from collapsing. But after a few days, the Bloobox seemed all settled in its box shape. 

MAKING IT EASIER TO RECYCLE RIGHT

After using it for about three weeks, I would say the Bloobox neither offers me a better way to recycle, nor discourages me from recycling. Indeed, some have criticised the Bloobox as a waste of resources: Those who are keen are probably already in the habit of recycling, using other containers available to them. Those who have no intention of recycling might pick up a free storage box. But neither group at the ends of the spectrum were likely the target audience of the Bloobox anyway. A free box makes no difference to those already internally motivated.

Those more resistant to recycling might require more external motivation, such the S$0.10 (US$0.07) deposit for bottled and canned drinks to be refunded when the empty container is returned, to be implemented in Singapore from April 2025.

Some places even “punish” throwing rubbish with a hefty charge. In Taiwan, waste is collected on a per-bag basis - a typical plastic bag one might get in a supermarket costs about NT$5 (US$0.16) - while recyclables are collected for free.

The Bloobox might give the extra nudge to those who want to recycle but haven’t put in place a system at home or are a little clueless about recycling right. Those who are not sure what can or cannot be recycled can refer to labels on the Bloobox that provide this information at the point of disposal. However, even if the Bloobox might help some new recyclers take positive steps, more must be done to help them maintain the habit.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/commentary/free-bloobox-where-collect-encourage-home-recycling-3431806

• Praise 2

At home, I use bigger paper bag for paper trash, opaque plastic bag for plastic trash, clear plastic bag for my beer can...when i look into side all...simi sai simi gu tao also have...just no bloody discipline...😅

On 4/21/2023 at 9:47 AM, mersaylee said:

At home, I use bigger paper bag for paper trash, opaque plastic bag for plastic trash, clear plastic bag for my beer can...when i look into side all...simi sai simi gu tao also have...just no bloody discipline...😅

My wife recycles all the tetrapaks (we drink a lot of freshmilk and the smaller crystanthemum tea), plastic bottles, aluminium cans, plastic type of bags, cardboard from various sources

Luckily I have a 2nd sink in my service yard, so we use that to drain dry the tetrapaks and the cans before throwing into a big trashbag. There's a recycling bin nearby. Just the time required for cutting or tearing open, cleaning and rinsing to remove the residual fluid left inside the tetrapaks is considerable. Then i just chuck it into a clear trashbag for now. 

I have to say it takes a lot of effort to keep all these things from cluttering up. As opposed to just chucking it down the chute. over the week it will accumulate, i get irritated then clear it off, then it begins again.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3