Road Trip up Northern Thailand, Golden Triangle

KaKiLang

Sharing my humble road trip up most Northern part of Thailand done in January. Have been trying to do this but always failed with my wife disapproval. Mrs passed on 1 and a half years ago due to cancer, after her first year memorial, gathered myself, planned and headoff for this long road trip on my faithful 2004 7th Generation Civic.

Unlike Adrianli's conquest, I did it on a more leisurely budgeted pace over 21days, in case my old beng ride needed a bypass on the way down. Love the Thai culture, never ever felt any thread or fear throughout the whole journey, wokeup every morning with renew energy to drive on. Friendly road blocks all the way, always getting blessings from most Siam police/military men. Set a rule and pace, curfew when nightfall, get a strong data plan, stock enough entertainments, food and drinks. Most important, get our Singapore Ambassy in Bkk inform, sent them a email/pitstops schedules and possible your thai mobile number.

Link below, lazy to cut and paste from my blog done along the way. Hope this information I gathered will help more bros to kick off their road trips.

https://4x4mobility.wixsite.com/mysite

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 17

Hehe...read until see durians picture on my mobile.  Great tips and interesting to know its safe to sleep over in car at taxi stand for the ferry.

Also the changing out of spark plugs etc while over there. Civic looks happy😅 all shiny and energetic.

Thanks for sharing.  

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

thanks for taking the time to document your trip and share it with us. Your photos are a lot nicer than the ones I took :mellow:

I'm still amazed you slpt and cooked in the car quite a few times. I was prepared to sleep in my car if I absolutely had to, but fortunately was always able to get hotels.

I was at PCF only a few days after you. I stayed two nights at a hotel in Theong abt 1hr/40km from PCF. On the first day, I went to Pha Tang and took it as a recce trip to see the road conditions  in the day. Drove back to the hotel after dinner near Pha Tang.

car.thumb.jpeg.4c9a15b8929b546e5beae5c19c12ddd7.jpeg

The next day, I left the hotel at 4am for sunrise at PCF.

I had a small headlight (my head, not the car) and a handheld torch for the ascent to the peak but I found the headlight sufficient.

When I reached the last carpark before 5am, it was already rather full. In fact, I took the same parking lot as you did!

But I was shocked after I came down to see one local car somehow managed to squeeze onto a small gap on my right, parking in the shelter itself LOL

carpark.thumb.jpeg.c6a1b4b4b91457fb588d9f36c6a701c9.jpeg

BTW here's a map of PCF national park I found interesting

map.thumb.jpeg.5f8f9feb7c9c5ffd241c2d8aca581562.jpeg

It's a pity you didn't manage to do the Mae Hong Son loop on this trip. I've done it twice (both times in winter) and absolutely loved it. I didn't enjoy Pai that much. I prefer MHS and Soppong more.

btw I posted more pics of my trips in another Thailand Road Trip thread. There seem to be a few active ones [laugh] 

• Praise 6

12 hours ago, PSP415 said:

Hehe...read until see durians picture on my mobile.  Great tips and interesting to know its safe to sleep over in car at taxi stand for the ferry.

Also the changing out of spark plugs etc while over there. Civic looks happy😅 all shiny and energetic.

Thanks for sharing.  

Safe ride 

Cheers 

No I skip Tumpat ferry crossing this round, Its safe to rough out near borders, they are security tight areas there are guards around. Most of Thailands fuel stations are huge and clean, shower facilities and food are available and most of the time we are not alone, there are truckers, travellers parking next to you for rest stops. Through the journey we did not make any hotel reservation, we wont know when we will reach there and maybe if the place is nice we will stay a few more days, and I dont want to waste time locating for the hotel for a mere one night good sleep and navigate back to the highway, Its nice feel to sleep out in the open like a van life travelling.

8 hours ago, JohnSHL said:

thanks for taking the time to document your trip and share it with us. Your photos are a lot nicer than the ones I took :mellow:

I'm still amazed you slpt and cooked in the car quite a few times. I was prepared to sleep in my car if I absolutely had to, but fortunately was always able to get hotels.

I was at PCF only a few days after you. I stayed two nights at a hotel in Theong abt 1hr/40km from PCF. On the first day, I went to Pha Tang and took it as a recce trip to see the road conditions  in the day. Drove back to the hotel after dinner near Pha Tang.

car.thumb.jpeg.4c9a15b8929b546e5beae5c19c12ddd7.jpeg

The next day, I left the hotel at 4am for sunrise at PCF.

I had a small headlight (my head, not the car) and a handheld torch for the ascent to the peak but I found the headlight sufficient.

When I reached the last carpark before 5am, it was already rather full. In fact, I took the same parking lot as you did!

But I was shocked after I came down to see one local car somehow managed to squeeze onto a small gap on my right, parking in the shelter itself LOL

carpark.thumb.jpeg.c6a1b4b4b91457fb588d9f36c6a701c9.jpeg

BTW here's a map of PCF national park I found interesting

map.thumb.jpeg.5f8f9feb7c9c5ffd241c2d8aca581562.jpeg

It's a pity you didn't manage to do the Mae Hong Son loop on this trip. I've done it twice (both times in winter) and absolutely loved it. I didn't enjoy Pai that much. I prefer MHS and Soppong more.

btw I posted more pics of my trips in another Thailand Road Trip thread. There seem to be a few active ones [laugh] 

Phu Chi Fa was my goal, will not miss Mae Hong Son loop in my near future. Nice to sleep out at PCF parking lot, wind howling outside and having hot meals inside 15°, wakeup with a nice view. I left my back seat cushion at home, so both the front seat can decline all the way flat.

• Praise 5

Kudos to you able to sleep in ur car. I wouldnt felt comfortable at all. Therefore I always book a hotel ahead and aim for it.

Also I forbid any eating in the car except for plain water drinking. You guys are really innovative to cook in the car!!!

• Praise 1

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.

Bring back a lot of memories when I used to tour Malaysia and Thailand on a bike. Been to Chiang Mai, Phuket, Ko Samui, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia when I was younger.

Now dont think my backside can take it.

• Praise 5

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:04 PM, KaKiLang said:

Phu Chi Fa was my goal, will not miss Mae Hong Son loop in my near future. Nice to sleep out at PCF parking lot, wind howling outside and having hot meals inside 15°, wakeup with a nice view. I left my back seat cushion at home, so both the front seat can decline all the way flat.

did you decide to cook your own food after watching this? [laugh]