$535 Plasti Dip vs. $3,000 Vinyl Wrap - Donut Media

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

$535 Plasti Dip vs. $3,000 Vinyl Wrap

Watch here.

TL;DR: So this 2 guy have bought 2 similar NIssan 350Z and have been modifying them to be FUN, daily drivers that you can take to the track. James Pumphrey and Zach Jobe are on Team Hi, and their car gets the expensive parts. Nolan Sykes and Aaron Parker are on team Low. Their car gets the cheap ones. Then we test them to see which components are actually worth spending the money on.

So let's go and see the result of both cars!

image.png

image.png

So the video has mentioned that there are 3 ways you can change the exterior of the car.

1) will be to get a proper paint job.

My personal recommendation will be https://www.facebook.com/NineMotorcraft/

Big shout out to Daryl the boss from colour9. They do very go paint job at affordable pricing the only problem is they are a small establishment, need to take longer to finish the work.

2) will be vinyl wrapping.

It will help protect the original paint and also change colour in whichever way you like. And it is a bit more economical. I recently chanced upon a Taiwan vlog about wrapping and they did a marvellous job.

3) lastly, it will be plasti dip. Not a big fan of plasti dip thou. But I know they can be quite dope too.

But Nah. plasti dip is not very durable. So when there is a knock or a chip, your car will start to show.

So going back to the video and the result is comical.

image.png

so team low DIY the whole process. and they do look like someone from breaking bad.

image.png

image.png

and team hi went to find a professional.

image.png

image.png

And here's the result. . .

Team low

image.png

image.png

image.png

Team hi

image.png

image.png

image.png

Verdict.

Hahahhaha. :grin:I think let's not go into the DIY route unless you are very confident of what you are doing. I am thinking of wrapping my roof for extra protection to the sun. What do you all think?

↡ Advertisement

I have been watching donut for a couple of weeks and its starting to become my fave. To be fair, they should have engaged a professional like the plastidip guy (whom i also subscribe to) to do the job. the bbk video is also quite informative. 

I wrapped my roof for one sole reason; no need to wash. My ride is Forester and i got a hard time washing, cleaning and polishing the roof. So i went for a wrap. Problem solved. Now just wash with water. lol. 

• Praise 1

I always thought this presenter has special needs, you know, cos he shouts most of the time when he presents his shows. I prefer the other guy to do the show.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

$535 Plasti Dip vs. $3,000 Vinyl Wrap

Watch here.

TL;DR: So this 2 guy have bought 2 similar NIssan 350Z and have been modifying them to be FUN, daily drivers that you can take to the track. James Pumphrey and Zach Jobe are on Team Hi, and their car gets the expensive parts. Nolan Sykes and Aaron Parker are on team Low. Their car gets the cheap ones. Then we test them to see which components are actually worth spending the money on.

So let's go and see the result of both cars!

image.png

image.png

So the video has mentioned that there are 3 ways you can change the exterior of the car.

1) will be to get a proper paint job.

My personal recommendation will be https://www.facebook.com/NineMotorcraft/

Big shout out to Daryl the boss from colour9. They do very go paint job at affordable pricing the only problem is they are a small establishment, need to take longer to finish the work.

2) will be vinyl wrapping.

It will help protect the original paint and also change colour in whichever way you like. And it is a bit more economical. I recently chanced upon a Taiwan vlog about wrapping and they did a marvellous job.

3) lastly, it will be plasti dip. Not a big fan of plasti dip thou. But I know they can be quite dope too.

But Nah. plasti dip is not very durable. So when there is a knock or a chip, your car will start to show.

So going back to the video and the result is comical.

image.png

so team low DIY the whole process. and they do look like someone from breaking bad.

image.png

image.png

and team hi went to find a professional.

image.png

image.png

And here's the result. . .

Team low

image.png

image.png

image.png

Team hi

image.png

image.png

image.png

Verdict.

Hahahhaha. :grin:I think let's not go into the DIY route unless you are very confident of what you are doing. I am thinking of wrapping my roof for extra protection to the sun. What do you all think?

waste money

no matter how they wrap there will be micro-pockets of air and moist trapped underneath

to size the vinyl they don't use teeth they use cutter which too often cut or nick your paint works without even telling you

do you believe the workers were sent to Germany or USA to learn how to apply the vinyl, they probably learn from each other via trial and error after that learning from 1 master

the best is park under shade if possible all the time

if you got to polish the car the roof also needs polishing

so the polish does protect the roof and reflect the radiation

the extra cost does not justify the gain

what about the vinyl the front bonnet which is subject to tiny stones abused with thousands if not millions of micro to millimeter nicks. 

So which specific areas of the car you want to give priority

at the end of the day does it increase or help maintain the value of the car only if you think of selling it before scrap

most car paints if taken care (average) should last a good 10 years (look around the proof is all around us

hope this helps

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

waste money

no matter how they wrap there will be micro-pockets of air and moist trapped underneath

to size the vinyl they don't use teeth they use cutter which too often cut or nick your paint works without even telling you

do you believe the workers were sent to Germany or USA to learn how to apply the vinyl, they probably learn from each other via trial and error after that learning from 1 master

what about the vinyl the front bonnet which is subject to tiny stones abused with thousands if not millions of micro to millimeter nicks. 

So which specific areas of the car you want to give priority

at the end of the day does it increase or help maintain the value of the car only if you think of selling it before scrap

most car paints if taken care (average) should last a good 10 years (look around the proof is all around us

hope this helps

To share, i previously wrap my car and it was a huge mistake. I did a FULL WRAP.

Looks nice with the matt finish but after 1.5  yrs
a) kena cut by jealous ppl 2 time
b) got some stones hit and got random damage holes, the vinyl torn off.
c) curve like fog like housing, the wrap also can peel off
d) the ppl dismantle the interior panel cannot put back properly
e) suffer cuts to rear windscreen

In short, no pt go wrap unless the coy is able to do a very professional job which i think very hard la.  Sure have some S*** they cock up one.

Paint job nicer la.

BTW the plasti dip is like Wreck the 350z. WTF man.

↡ Advertisement